OT: Cleaning airconditioner elements

Anyone have experience of cleaning the indoor cooling elements of
airconditioners? Any good products to use?

I ask because mine has started leaking water a bit, and on close
examination, the problem seems to be that water is condensing on the
element, but then being sucked through it, rather than falling to the
bottom as it should. The water then dribbles out of the air outlet.

So I think it must need cleaning.

FWIW, it's a ten year old Daikin unit.

Sylvia.

Re: Cleaning airconditioner elements

Obvious. Silvia. You have answered your own question. BUT first we must know
what type and sort of installation you have............ and what to do. When
you state element  do mean condenser? Sounds you may be low on gas. A good
trick is .........But then you really don't trust electricians do you?  I'll
help if I can.

Metro

Re: Cleaning airconditioner elements

 > But then you really don't trust electricians do you?

Got one coming to do some work for me tomorrow, as it happens. But my
trust in tradesmen is generally somewhat limited. I'd probably trust
them more if I didn't have so much experience of them adding, or trying
to add, extras onto quoted prices after the work is done.

For example, a fencing contractor who wanted to claim as "unexpected
extras" all the holes he'd had to drill in rock. "Hey, guy, the land is
covered in visible rock outcrops, and you claim you didn't anticipate
the need to drill any holes?" We split the difference on that one.

Even the sparky who's coming tomorrow quoted an ex-GST price (which is
unlawful). Fortunately, I asked.

It's in the indoor unit of a split-system; the evaporator coil. It cools
perfectly well - I have no reason to think it's lost coolant.

Model FTX25HVEA.

Sylvia.

Re: Cleaning airconditioner elements

 I certainly agree about *trust* with tradesman. You seem canny enough to
spot them. Cash in hand is another story one of which I will argue until the
bottle runs out. Why not pay a guy for his skills and knowledge and then
some GST on the bought items supplied for the job? By the way sounds like
the 'TX' valve is sticking in your aircon. Hopefully not a leak. They do
wear out, depending on frequency of use of course. Unfortunately you will
need a tradie...............
Just a another thought . I don't know your situation, but there has been a
great deal of humid air of late and that will condense on the coil very
fast,,,,,,,,,,Maybe that's all it is. In fact on  a check mine is in the
throes!

 Metro

Re: Cleaning airconditioner elements

Sometimes. I ended up payings hundreds of dollars more than I expected
on a drainage job recently, and I still don't know whether that was
really an example of miscommunication, or whether I was just careless
and got suckered in.

No sure what you mean by that. I have to pay GST on the entire amount
anyway.

I have no objection to paying for skills, but *sometimes* there seems
little actual skill involved, and on occasion, when it's required, it
isn't present.

Sylvia.

Re: Cleaning airconditioner elements

Cash job is different and that is a matter for the parties involved .

I think in Sylvia's case he quoted a price and then said "plus GST"
which is
just trying to make it sound cheaper than it is - is actually illegal
-
and pointless since very few items or services are GST exempt outside
food, medical and education, and the consumer will have to pay it
anyway.

Of course his turnover could be under $70,000 PA which means he
doesn't have to register for GST,
but the GST paid on all his supplies would be passed on in the price
anyway.

Anyone who tries this on me either gets offered the amount without GST
or shown the door.
Havent had this one tried for about 4 years.

By the way sounds like

Re: Cleaning airconditioner elements

Oh, and the problem of ensuring that one one has in mind is the same as
what the electrician has in mind, as regards the resulting aesthetics.

<sigh>

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Cleaning airconditioner elements

If so, I would consider taking it outside and hosing the muck out from
between the fins.  Let thoroughly dry before use, and cover electrical
parts
with plastic bags to keep them dry.

If you have an air compressor, this may work too.

Re: OT: Cleaning airconditioner elements

How can you take the evaporator outside with out losing the refrigerant?

Re: OT: Cleaning airconditioner elements

That is likely to be a problem.

Anyway, the fins are fragile, one would have to be careful when hosing them.

I was thinking of getting some of this:

http://refrigtech.com/Product/Coil_Cleaners/Viper_Aerosol/viper.html

which is available in Australia for about $70.

Any comments from anyone?

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Cleaning airconditioner elements

Shit, I was assuming it was one of the "through the wall" units.

Obviously if its a split system, you cant really do this.

Re: OT: Cleaning airconditioner elements

Shit, I was assuming it was one of the "through the wall" units.

Obviously if its a split system, you cant really do this.

If it is a split then the condenser will be outside. There is nothing wrong
in a light hosing down. Often done in the trade. If the fins bend just comb
them straight again.

Re: OT: Cleaning airconditioner elements

Unfortunately, my problem clearly lies with the evaporator.

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Cleaning airconditioner elements

That would be no problem, as these things are designed to be
weatherproof.
The inside part is a different story though

Re: OT: Cleaning airconditioner elements

I'll make a general comment - just because something is weatherproof
doesn't mean that you can safely spray it with a jet of water from any
angle - it's weatherproof, not hosepipe proof.

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Cleaning airconditioner elements

That is true, but I would assume most people on this group understand
electrical items, and water, and would use common sense when doing
this.  (ie - cover fan motors and electronics if applicable, and try
to keep the spray away from these as much as possible.

Site Timeline