OT: Cleaning airconditioner elements

Anyone have experience of cleaning the indoor cooling elements of airconditioners? Any good products to use?

I ask because mine has started leaking water a bit, and on close examination, the problem seems to be that water is condensing on the element, but then being sucked through it, rather than falling to the bottom as it should. The water then dribbles out of the air outlet.

So I think it must need cleaning.

FWIW, it's a ten year old Daikin unit.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Obvious. Silvia. You have answered your own question. BUT first we must know what type and sort of installation you have............ and what to do. When you state element do mean condenser? Sounds you may be low on gas. A good trick is .........But then you really don't trust electricians do you? I'll help if I can.

Metro

Reply to
Metro

Got one coming to do some work for me tomorrow, as it happens. But my trust in tradesmen is generally somewhat limited. I'd probably trust them more if I didn't have so much experience of them adding, or trying to add, extras onto quoted prices after the work is done.

For example, a fencing contractor who wanted to claim as "unexpected extras" all the holes he'd had to drill in rock. "Hey, guy, the land is covered in visible rock outcrops, and you claim you didn't anticipate the need to drill any holes?" We split the difference on that one.

Even the sparky who's coming tomorrow quoted an ex-GST price (which is unlawful). Fortunately, I asked.

It's in the indoor unit of a split-system; the evaporator coil. It cools perfectly well - I have no reason to think it's lost coolant.

Model FTX25HVEA.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I certainly agree about *trust* with tradesman. You seem canny enough to spot them. Cash in hand is another story one of which I will argue until the bottle runs out. Why not pay a guy for his skills and knowledge and then some GST on the bought items supplied for the job? By the way sounds like the 'TX' valve is sticking in your aircon. Hopefully not a leak. They do wear out, depending on frequency of use of course. Unfortunately you will need a tradie............... Just a another thought . I don't know your situation, but there has been a great deal of humid air of late and that will condense on the coil very fast,,,,,,,,,,Maybe that's all it is. In fact on a check mine is in the throes!

Metro

Reply to
Metro

Sometimes. I ended up payings hundreds of dollars more than I expected on a drainage job recently, and I still don't know whether that was really an example of miscommunication, or whether I was just careless and got suckered in.

No sure what you mean by that. I have to pay GST on the entire amount anyway.

I have no objection to paying for skills, but *sometimes* there seems little actual skill involved, and on occasion, when it's required, it isn't present.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

If so, I would consider taking it outside and hosing the muck out from between the fins. Let thoroughly dry before use, and cover electrical parts with plastic bags to keep them dry.

If you have an air compressor, this may work too.

Reply to
kreed

How can you take the evaporator outside with out losing the refrigerant?

Reply to
F Murtz

That is likely to be a problem.

Anyway, the fins are fragile, one would have to be careful when hosing them.

I was thinking of getting some of this:

which is available in Australia for about $70.

Any comments from anyone?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Shit, I was assuming it was one of the "through the wall" units.

Obviously if its a split system, you cant really do this.

Reply to
kreed

Shit, I was assuming it was one of the "through the wall" units.

Obviously if its a split system, you cant really do this.

If it is a split then the condenser will be outside. There is nothing wrong in a light hosing down. Often done in the trade. If the fins bend just comb them straight again.

Reply to
Metro

Unfortunately, my problem clearly lies with the evaporator.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

?

ng

mb

That would be no problem, as these things are designed to be weatherproof. The inside part is a different story though

Reply to
kreed

I'll make a general comment - just because something is weatherproof doesn't mean that you can safely spray it with a jet of water from any angle - it's weatherproof, not hosepipe proof.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

he

om

nt?

wrong

comb

That is true, but I would assume most people on this group understand electrical items, and water, and would use common sense when doing this. (ie - cover fan motors and electronics if applicable, and try to keep the spray away from these as much as possible.

Reply to
kreed

Oh, and the problem of ensuring that one one has in mind is the same as what the electrician has in mind, as regards the resulting aesthetics.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

.

em

dd,

he

the

Cash job is different and that is a matter for the parties involved .

I think in Sylvia's case he quoted a price and then said "plus GST" which is just trying to make it sound cheaper than it is - is actually illegal

- and pointless since very few items or services are GST exempt outside food, medical and education, and the consumer will have to pay it anyway.

Of course his turnover could be under $70,000 PA which means he doesn't have to register for GST, but the GST paid on all his supplies would be passed on in the price anyway.

Anyone who tries this on me either gets offered the amount without GST or shown the door. Havent had this one tried for about 4 years.

By the way sounds like

kreed