OT butpossibly interesting for some - Page 2

Re: OT butpossibly interesting for some

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX  Well why did it take you half a dozen posts of replies
to Noddy's comments to reach back to mine then. I'll tell you why, you were
losing the srgument with Noddy so a backflip was called for.

Hardly, you must be new here. Noddy's only strong point is his vocabulary
where he intimidates everyone into backing down, just like you have.

Why would I? Do you contribute everything you think? I just simply agree
with Noddy as I have for years been a fan of the Ford GT40. If you are as
interested in the GT40 as I am you might enjoy the following.

Since 1960, Henry Ford II wanted to have a Ford race at Le Mans.  After
dealings with Ferrari fell through, Ford decided to produce his own car and
began negotiations with Lola Cars manager Eric Broadley.  The agreement
between the two called for a year long collaboration that included the sale
of two Lola MK 6 chassis to Ford.  Soon after Ford hired ex-Aston Martin
team manager John Wyer to work with Ford Motor Co. engineer Roy Lunn on what
was to become the Ford GT.
The original GT40 and MK1, designed by Lunn, was prepared at the specially
established, Ford Advanced Vehicles in the UK.  Abbey Panels constructed the
advanced monocoque chassis and the drive train finally chosen was the 289
Ford V8 mated to a Coletti transaxle.  During the GT40's racing history a
variety of Ford engines and even a ZF transaxle were used.
The Ford GT made its debut at Nurburgring in May 1964 and followed up the
appearance with 24 Hours of Le Mans.  The cars failed to finish both races -
a devastating blow to Team Ford.  Although they were not successful at
LeMans in 64 or 65, their obvious potential led Ford to continue racing them
and in 1966 Ford and the MKII made American racing history with a dominating
one, two, and three finish over Ferrari at Le Mans.
The cars prepared for the 1966 Le Mans win  were the American developed MK11's
which were fitted with the 427 cu ins FE motor and Ford built T44 transaxle.
After Ford stopped racing privateer teams continued racing and winning with
GT 40's all over the world including two more LeMans events in 1998 and
1999.

Ford GT40 Mk1 Specifications
Performance
Top Speed: 197 MPH
Engine
V8
Horsepower: 390
Torque: 441.0 nm / 325.3 ft lbs @ 5000 rpm
Dimensions
Length: 165 in.
Width: 70 in.
Height: 40.5 in.
Weight: 1834 lbs.

Ford GT40 Mk2 Specifications
Performance
Top Speed: 205 MPH
Engine
V8
Horsepower: 485
Torque: 644.0 nm / 474.9 ft lbs @ 5000 rpm
Dimensions
Length: 162.9 in.
Width: 70 in.
Height: 40.5 in.
Weight: 2504 lbs.

Ford GT40 Mk3 Specifications
Performance
Top Speed: 160 MPH
0-60: 5.3 seconds
0-100: 11.8 seconds
Engine
V8
Horsepower: 306
Torque: 446.0 nm / 328.9 ft lbs @ 4200 rpm
Dimensions
Length: 169 in.
Width: 70 in.
Height: 40.9 in.
Weight: 2200 lbs.

Ford GT40 Mk4 Specifications
Performance
Top Speed: 220 MPH
Engine
V8
Horsepower: 500
Torque: 637.2 nm / 470.0 ft lbs @ 5000 rpm
Dimensions
Length: 170.9 in.
Width: 70.5 in.
Height: 38.5 in.
Weight: 2205 lbs.

HTH

Roger

Re: OT butpossibly interesting for some

this one is more relevant to aus.aviation :-)
http://www.flixxy.com/jet-man.htm

Don Hirschberg

Re: OT butpossibly interesting for some

OK stretching the memory back myself - the engine firm Callaway that
did the first 300kw engines for HSV, didnt they famously have the twin
turbo Sledgehammer Corvette? Drove it to a speedway, pulled 400+ kmh,
then drove it back?

Just googled and found:

http://www.z06-corvette.com/super/sledgehammer.htm

408 kmh - nice :)

Steve

Re: OT butpossibly interesting for some

I don't believe the Vector ever proved much over 203mph. The 1300HP was in
some ways like the Veyron, you had to over-ride the default output.

Most Vectors generally ran at sub-600HP. You could wind the boost up to get
that 1300hp but, once again, that appeared to be limited to the speed-run
cars.

By comparison, all Veyrons have the capability to run that speed by simply
using the 'special' key.

BTW I loved the Vectors styling. Unfortunately its interior dated rapidly.
Early aircraft style flat panel displays, F-16 harness (marketing reasons),
a cheap assed automatic shifter, and a low rent ET Performance meter (which
anyone could by for less than $150USD).

Yep, saw this and the other numerous "strap an R/C turbine to you" ideas.
One day they'll get one that actually provides some decent endurance and
real climbing capability. Most will only climb by 'zooming'.

Re: OT butpossibly interesting for some

Ergonomically horrible. They'd be off on compo with back or hip problems
before long.

Re: OT butpossibly interesting for some

When I first saw it I thought it was animated. I'm still not sure. Some of
it looks impossible to film.

Site Timeline