OT (but not really): Ironman

I just saw Ironman at the movies - awesome stuff.
Oodles of leading edge technology gadgets in it, some plausible, others not
so plausible.
Definitely a must-see movie for any electronics and techno gadget buff.
Gotta love any movie with soldering iron action.
Deserves all the rave reviews it's been getting.

Dave.

Re: OT (but not really): Ironman
On Sat, 3 May 2008 22:04:53 +1000, "David L. Jones"

Superman is just some guy flying around in his underwear. It's too
fantastic.

Ironman is a technological achiever working with cool sh*t.
(I'm sure many are in electronics just for the cool factor.)

Some appeal of Ironman is that it's about a man and his machines.
Like boys playing with dump trucks in the sand box.

Question is: Is this a date movie?

I think not..

D from BC
British Columbia
Canada

Re: OT (but not really): Ironman

It's a great "date test" movie.
If the girl likes it then you know you could be on a winner. Just to make
sure it wasn't a Robert Downey Jr thing, follow it up with some video games,
bear chugging, football, and all-night internet sessions. If she is still
around after that, marry her.

Dave.

Re: OT (but not really): Ironman

**If it's nearly as good as No Country For Old Men, I might go see it. So,
the question is: Is it nearly as good (I don't expect it to be as good)?

Trevor Wilson

Re: OT (but not really): Ironman

Hmm, hard to compare with a dark evil guy going around shooting people with
a pneumatic air gun.
But ironman has more cool weapons and toys. So yeah, it's almost as good I
recon, definitely more fun. Ironman is funny too, real funny.
If you are after performances, Robert Downey Jr is simply brilliant.

Dave.

Re: OT (but not really): Ironman

It's already on the 'net.

Btw, Dave, how's the Calcwatch release coming?

For those on sed who don't know about Dave's watch,
http://www.calcwatch.com/index.html

regards
David

Re: OT (but not really): Ironman
On Sat, 3 May 2008 22:04:53 +1000, "David L. Jones"

Yea, but it shows some fool hammering on a piece of hot metal too.  I
mean how 18th century.  Dogs, at least show some precision casting
instead.

Re: OT (but not really): Ironman

Maybe he was just hammering out the defects from a crappy casting :P

What bugged me was that the G-forces would probably kill Ironman.
Hit by shell.
Hit by an airplane wing.
Blasted by a missile explosion
Others...

According to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G_force
"Any exposure to around 100 g or more, even if momentary, is likely to
 be lethal, although the record is 179 g"
And

"
Formula One racing car driver David Purley survived an estimated 179.8
g in 1977 when he decelerated from 173 km/h (108 mph) to rest over a
distance of 66 cm (26 inches) after his throttle got stuck wide open
and he hit a wall"

Sure.. the Ironman suit can protect him on the outside but there's
nothing protecting his internal organs from all the shock on the
inside.

D from BC
British Columbia
Canada

Re: OT (but not really): Ironman
(snip)

... hit by a planet.

John Popelish

Re: OT (but not really): Ironman
On Tue, 06 May 2008 23:25:28 -0700, D from BC

Yep.  Even apparently localized shock propagates very well.  Thus the
killing power of high velocity projectiles.

Site Timeline