OT: Big Bang Theory

Just finished watching Season 1 of Big Bang Theory, and have started on
Season 2.
Is it just me or is this the most hilarious and well written TV comedy ever
for nerds?
They have one engineer in the mix, but few engineering jokes, it's mostly
physics or geek gags.
But what a great value show.
If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and give it a go.

Dave.
Re: Big Bang Theory

**I love it. Let's not mention Kaley Cuoco (Penny). Then again, let's. She
is drop dead georgeous. Jim Parsons (Sheldon) is a stand-out. Funny as a cut
snake. Yet another winner for Chuck Lorre.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Big Bang Theory

cut

And yet they only showed a couple of episodes during non rating period on
FTA originally. They did the same with "Seven rules for dating my teenage
daughter" originally too. Shows how stupid the programmers are.

MrT.

Re: Big Bang Theory

For those in NZ or with satellite access to NZ TV Wednesdays and
fridays at 8pm (NZ TIME (TZ="Pacific/Auckland")) on TVNZ2

Re: Big Bang Theory

Yes, Sheldon is the clear stand-out, the show probbaly wouldn't exist if he
didn't nail that character. No wonder he's been nominated for an Emmy.

I think the casting of Sara Gilbert is a brilliant choice too.

Dave.
Re: Big Bang Theory

Excellent show. One fellow I worked with is pretty much exactly
Sheldon,
even down to the mannerisms. And non-nerds can enjoy it too, they just
laugh at different places.

Re: Big Bang Theory

**Oh yeah. Have you seen the episode with George Smoot (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Smoot ) in it? An asbolute hoot.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Big Bang Theory

Yes, having read Smoot's book many years ago, this was by conincidence the
first episode I caught on TV while channel surfing and his name popped up,
and then the cameo at the end.. I figured anything that had George Smoot as
a cameo is something I should be watching.
I'm looking forward to going back and watching again now I know what's going
on and can relate to all the characters.

Dave.

Re: Big Bang Theory

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 08:15:50 +1100, "David L. Jones"

The only Smoot I remember was in my MIT class of 1962... ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoot

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO                            |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

Funny, he went on to become chairman of the American National Standards
Institute (ANSI) and president of the International Organization for
Standardization (ISO).
                              Mike

Re: Big Bang Theory

I'll be back there in June 2012 for my 50th reunion.

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO                            |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

Yes, very often confused with his much more famous cousin.

Dave.
Re: Big Bang Theory

You should pay close attention to the props they have around the
apartment. There is generally a Dekavider on the desk. Hey wait, I
have one of those too......
http://www.recycledgoods.com/24707_ESI_DV411_Dekavider.html
if you never saw one. About $5 to $10 at a ham swap meet. Mine is way
better than the one in the link.

The only thing that strike me odd is all the phone books. Geeks don't
use phone books. I have actually called and asked them (SBC and the
"other" book) not to kill a tree in my name, but they insist on
dropping them off.

These TV people don't miss a trick. Check out
http://www.sheldonshirts.com /

Re: OT: Big Bang Theory

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 19:28:08 +1100, "David L. Jones"

Hi, Dave.  I was pretty hopeful about Netflix'ing some of
these after seeing a scene that was on Youtube, perhaps 6
months back.  This scene is what caught my attention:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A03gbr6oY0

They nailed the physicist/engineer thing nicely.  And it
played neatly into the fun I have with my son, joking about
the differences between the work life of theoretical and
experimental physicists, too!  He and I found it putting that
into a nice "box" to see.

We got our first disk for the first season and I watched it
with my wife.  We found the laugh tracks annoying, the humor
cheap, and the appeal mostly puerile ... broadly speaking.
Bear in mind that I've only seen perhaps the first four or
five shows, though.

There are some good moments (when I can ignore the laugh
tracks.)  I'm _very_ glad to have watched that one scene.
Most of it is difficult for me to wade through, though.

If you know of some really good scenes to watch in the first
season that you've already enjoyed (knowing that one which I
considered 'nice'), I'd be interested in a pointer to the
shows and perhaps the scenes within them.  I would like
looking at two-minute-at-a-time high points.  I just can't
wade through all the rest.

Maybe it is just because I can't stand the way they use the
laugh tracks, though.  It reminds me of the very first show
to really use them (which went overboard), "The Real McCoys"
back in the mid 1950's.  That series had Walter Brennen and I
liked him on other movies I'd watched before, but the whole
show is simply unwatchable because of the laugh tracks.  A
person says "Hi" and a laugh track plays.  Another says,
"Well, I have to be going" and a laugh track plays.  It
doesn't matter what's said... it's almost continuous.
Destroys the show for me when it is inanely flooded with
laugh tracks.  There's only so much I can stomach.

Jon

Re: OT: Big Bang Theory

Sorry, I'm not scene based, I find almost every line and manerism hilarious
in some way. The intricate story writing with it's blend of physics and nerd
manerisms is what makes it great overall, just not the odd science or nerd
joke scene.

It's a shame you can't just relax and look past that stuff, as the material
is just so brilliant.
I don't even notice the laugh tracks in the slightest, probably because I'm
laughing at the exact same points.

Dave.

Re: OT: Big Bang Theory

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 11:00:56 +1100, "David L. Jones"

Well, I enjoy your videos.  So we must have a few things in
common.  ;)  But that show doesn't reach very high for its
humor, mostly.  Just my opinion.

Oh, the tracks are absolutely horrible.  If nothing else did,
their inane use of them alone would make me unable to watch
much.  I suppose that's parly why I find a scene wonderful
but the show a pain I cannot handle.  But I did try.  I
honestly tried.

Jon

Re: OT: Big Bang Theory

Three women were sharing coffee one day when the subject
got around to sex.

The first woman said, "My husband's a pro wrestler.  When he
makes love to me, he tosses me around the bed like a rag doll
and takes me with a passion that borders on sheer violence."

The second woman said, "Well, *my* husband is an artist.
And, when *he* makes love to me he caresses my body as if it
was a painters canvas. The sensation is *exquisite*!"

A long pause ensued.

The first two women looked at each other; then at the
still silent third woman.

Feeling their gaze, the third woman set down her cup
with an audible sigh.

Staring into her coffee, she said, "My husband's an engineer.
When he makes love to me, all he does is sit at the foot
of the bed and tell me how GREAT it's going to be when I
finally *get* it..."

[apologies to any sensibilities I may have offended]

--don

Site Timeline