Oscilloscope for the 'financially challenged'

Hi all,

I've been working with microcontrollers for a while my thoughts have
led to maybe buying a 'scope'.

This has led to the great search on 2-channel scopes that will do
reasonable speed, and the question of what the minimal requirement
is.
I'm hoping I can make do with a PC-based (USB) type scope, but haven't
been able to find anything that may show that I need something faster
for eg. PWM

Any ideas of which way to go?

One I've found:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/100MSa-s-40M-PC-based-digital-storage-oscilloscope_W0QQitemZ160222358898QQihZ006QQcategoryZ105806QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Re: Oscilloscope for the 'financially challenged'

You've gotta have a scope!

found:http://cgi.ebay.com.au/100MSa-s-40M-PC-based-digital-storage-oscillos ...

How much are you willing to spend? That determines everything.
Buy the looks of that one I'm going to assume you are currently
looking around the $250 mark?

That sort of money gives you these options:
1) A decent high bandwidth reconditioned/2nd hand name brand analog
scope (e.g. a 100MHz Tektronix)
2) A cheapie single channel 10MHz brand new 10MHz analog.
3) A PC based cheapie DSO like you the one you've looked at.
4) Possibly an older 2nd hand name brand digital scope, but sample
rate and memory are going to be low.

Stretch your budget to $500 and you can get:
1) A cheapie brand new digital bench scope like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Digital-Color-Oscilloscope-OWON-PDS5022S-w-USB_W0QQitemZ130209027596QQihZ003QQcategoryZ104247QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
2) Possibly a decent modern name brand 2nd hand bench digital scope
3) A cheapie brand new dual channel analog scope.

PC-Based scopes are OK, and have come a long way, but their usability
still leaves a bit to be desired. I'm sure many people will want to
argue this, but the fact is a bench scope that turns on instantly, is
fully self contained, and is portable is just a heck of a lot more
usable than a PC based scope.
However, the advantage of a PC based scope is that you can potentially
get a lot more bang-per-buck in terms of performance/memory/sample
rate etc for your dollar. E.g. The one you listed and the one I listed
are roughly similar in specs, but the bench one is twice the price.
Also, if your "workbench" is your computer desk them a PC based scope
is a good option.

Also, I get the impression you've made up your mind on a digital scope
rather than an analog?
If microcontroller design/troubleshooting is your primary interest
then a digital storage scope is likely going to be more useful to you.

Dave.

Re: Oscilloscope for the 'financially challenged'
Hi, and thanks much David.

Much appreciate what you've said, and I may have to go for the more
expensive (standalone) option.

Thanks again for your ideas, and you've given me at least an idea of
which way to go.

Cheers, Phil.

Re: Oscilloscope for the 'financially challenged'

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/100MSa-s-40M-PC-based-digital-storage-oscilloscope_W0QQitemZ160222358898QQihZ006QQcategoryZ105806QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

**I have a couple of nice CROs available. All analogue. An Iwatsu SS 5711, 4
channel jobbie. Made in Japan, delayed sweep, 100MHz, full
instruction/service manual available. $300.00. A very nice and more recent
Hameg HM1005. Two channel, made in Germany, 100MHz, delayed sweep and full
instruction/service manual provided. $450.00. Personally, I'd go for the
Hameg, but if you need 4 channels, the Iwatsu is hard to go past. BTW: The 2
of the 4 channels are limited in their capability, but would be fine for
digital work.

I can freight, but, given the fact that they are CROs, Sydney pick-up would
be smarter.

Trevor Wilson

Re: Oscilloscope for the 'financially challenged'
Hi Trevor,

Thanks for posting. And yes, I don't require much in the way of
features nor 4 channels so the Hameg looks good. I'll do a bit of
searching to check both of 'em out regardless.

I'll have save some bickies first and hope you still have one of them
sitting around for later.
And no, I'm not just saying this. I do follow up if someone takes the
time to help.

Cheers, Phil.

Re: Oscilloscope for the 'financially challenged'

The Hameg's are really nice scopes, can't go wrong there.
The HM1005 is actually 3 channels, two normal plus one with variable
gain.
If you do stretch your budget to closer to $500 you really have some
excellent options available. Well worth saving for.

Dave.

Re: Oscilloscope for the 'financially challenged'

**Quite right. I should have looked more closely at the front panel. I
haven't used the CRO in some time.

**Indeed. Nothing new, though. Just rubbish at that price.

Trevor Wilson

Re: Oscilloscope for the 'financially challenged'
On Mar 29, 10:23 am, "Trevor Wilson"

Define rubbish.
You can get a brand new OWON digital scope for around $500 delivered,
as I posted earlier.
If Phil is after a digital scope than that is unbeatable value for
money. And it's brand new with a 3 year factory warranty.
Brand new dual channel analog 20MHz scopes can be had for $400 new.
And of course there is always the second hand market that is one big
ball game.

Dave.

Re: Oscilloscope for the 'financially challenged'

It was interesting to read this thread. As a student I've been seriously
wanting to get an Oscilloscope but I don't know what to go for. There
are a lot of scopes going cheap on Ebay, and I have a budget of $500 so
I thought that with this budget I could aim for a "high end but old"
analogue scope.

However I have just seen a Tektronix TDS210 (similar to what I used
during work experience) on ebay.com.au, and it's less than $500 at the
moment. Does anyone think that this would be a really bad purchase?

Thanks,

Regards,

Ross..

Re: Oscilloscope for the 'financially challenged'

I think "at the moment" is the key word here, as far as I can predict it will be
more like $800 (+/- $100 error) at the end of auction. Personally I'd like to
have it for under $500.

Tom

Re: Oscilloscope for the 'financially challenged'

Yep it got close to your prediction :). I think I'll just try to find an
analogue one, tired of not having a scope..

Regards,

Ross..

Re: Oscilloscope for the 'financially challenged'

Might be worth considering the OWON unit at around $450 delivered:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item13%0210722213

And you might like to get yourself a DSE 10Mhz analog for $88 as well:
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/481e5ee4054e79f82741c0a87f9c06f3/Product/View/Q1803
Insanely cheap, and useful.

Dave.

Re: Oscilloscope for the 'financially challenged'
be more like $800 (+/- $100 error) at the end of auction. Personally I'd like to
have it for under $500.

The TDS-210 can be had for under $500 on Ebay if you buy from a US
seller. Postage usually isn't that expensive either as it's small and
light.

Dave.

Re: Oscilloscope for the 'financially challenged'

No, it definitely wouldn't be.
But once again, it does depend on your end use. But for a general
purpose scope, the TDS-210 will serve you very well indeed.
I have a TDS-210 at home and it's terrific, and performance is ok for
general use. If find I reach for it a lot more often than my analog
scope, in fact, almost all of the time these days. The 2.5KB memory
and low resolution screen can be limiting sometimes though, but it's
streets ahead of an analog scope in this respect that has no capture
capability.

Dave.

Re: Oscilloscope for the 'financially challenged'

Ross,
Just posted to another thread about the Rigol 1052E scope available on
eBay. Only just over your budget but still <$600.

Regards
Geoff

Re: Oscilloscope for the 'financially challenged'

This one is going for $US364 which is about AU$465. At that price, I reckon I'll
get one myself.
http://cgi.ebay.com/RIGOL-DS1052E-Digital-Oscilloscope-50MHz-DS-1052E-DSO_W0QQitemZ320355416009QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Oscilloscopes?hash=item4a96abb7c9&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

dmm

Re: Oscilloscope for the 'financially challenged'
http://cgi.ebay.com/RIGOL-DS1052E-Digital-Oscilloscope-50MHz-DS-1052E-DSO_W0QQitemZ320355416009QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Oscilloscopes?hash=item4a96abb7c9&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

That's about AU$535 delivered. That is insanely cheap, compared to just a
few months back when I wrote on here about the dramatic price drops to $680
or so. So that new lower price almost smells fishy.
Quite a few of us on here bought through the eBayer HappySeeds at the time,
he still sells them but for substantially more.
Official Australian rep price is $880+postage.

Dave.

Re: Oscilloscope for the 'financially challenged'

Maybe with the economic crisis, they have excess stock that isnt being
sold, and HAVE to move it to raise $$ ?

new model coming ?

.

Re: Oscilloscope for the 'financially challenged'

Happyseeds still sells them, for a little less than $680. What suggests
that he sells them for 'substantially more'..?

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/happyseeds__W0QQ_nkwZrigolQQ_armrsZ1QQ_dmdZ2QQ_fromZQQ_sasiZ1QQ_sopZ1

Regards,

Ross..

Re: Oscilloscope for the 'financially challenged'

I was referring to dmm's post about a seller who has them for around $535
delivered, so Happyseeds is certainly "substantially more" than that amount.
Happyseeds price has gone down since I bought mine, in fact his prices
appear all over the place, he has one for around $570:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Rigol-DS-1052E-50-MHz-2-Channel-Digital-Oscilloscope_W0QQitemZ350205503029QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Oscilloscopes?hash=item5189dfe635&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A30

Happyseeds is the only reputable seller with good feedback from group
members so far.

Dave.