OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor? - Page 5

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

it's big because it's got too many features.

It deon't convert C directly into machine language, but goes through
at-least 5 steps along the way,  this is so that features only need to be
develped once to be available for different platforms or different
languages,

IIRC there's a compile-time option for size of int on some platforms.
I think for AVR you can choose 8 or 16 bits. (8 is of course
non-standard)

you say that like you think C is for people who cant't handle assembler :)

the ISO C features don't cost you anything in the size of the output if you
don't use them, they only cost in compiler bloat.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

---

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
On a sunny day (15 Mar 2012 05:07:28 GMT) it happened Jasen Betts

No I was referring to C++
Cannot stand it.
It is a crime against humanity.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

Spoken like someone unwilling to learn something new. C++ actually
offers a lot to avoid common mistakes made in C. When used right you
can create more robust programs and cut down on time wasted on
debugging.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

So does Pascal, Object Pascal, Ada, Perl, Python and many other =
languages.
And guess what, none of them have the same mind bending inconsistencies
that C++ endured for so many years.

?-)

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

And enables you to make a whole lot new ones instead.

Yeah. That's the hard part.

Vinzent.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
On a sunny day (Sat, 17 Mar 2012 06:06:41 +0100) it happened "Vinzent Hoefler"

Right C++ was invented by Stroussup because he could not program.
He did not want to really learn how to program in C,
so he invented his own kludges so it looked like he could.
That hit big time with all the other ones who could not program either.

It is a normal thing, human nature, people do not know how to do something,.
and then do not want to learn, so they make their own solutions.
that is why so see a new programming language every year,
and the creators of those shouting from the treetops that
it makes everything so simple that any clueless idiot can use it.
Now you have 2 problems, clueless idiots using languages written by clueless
idiots.
Stroussup should be in that jail on Cuba,
His ideas created more bloat than you can imagine,
but OK, C++ compiler writers benefit [1], so do hardware vendors, so it has its
supporter,
even beyond those who never learned to program in C.

[1] They never seemed to agree on the correct interpretation of that language
[2] though,.

[2] Speech disability,

[3] hates PICs too, his PIC projects did not work.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
On a sunny day (Fri, 16 Mar 2012 22:07:38 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks

mm, 'when used right' you can dig your grave with a thoothpic too.

LOL

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 11:47:47 GMT, Jan Panteltje

I must agree.  That blazing idiot Strousup thought that smalltalk like
objects really could be smoothly bolted onto C.  Thirty years later it is
finally becoming apparent to even him that it wasn't the best idea.

?-)

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

Hey, if you think object bolting in C++ is bad, check out Matlab some
time -- amazing they managed to pull it off at all. :-)

Pragmatically speaking, C++ is pretty good -- it offered a lot of the
power of "pure" OO languages such as Smalltalk or LISP, and as history
has shown, none of those languages have ever been hugely successful
commercially... whereas C++ very much has been.  I.e., the choice wasn't
ever C++ or Smalltalk, it was C++ or C.

I am a little surprised that Apple decided to make Objective C the
primary programming language of iThings ... I suppose that's what you
end up with if you don't like C++ that much but don't want to suck all
the performance out of your app using something like LISP.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 09:30:32 -0700, Joel Koltner

LISP isn't really object oriented.  It is actually something even more
different.

?-)

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
On a sunny day (Tue, 13 Mar 2012 14:44:44 +1100) it happened Chris Baird

False pretence, if it runs X thne it runs at a fixed framerate
and will drop frames on video.
Apple uses that chip in a different way I may hope.

Wrong, you should have mentioned Amiga, that one actually had genlock IIRC.
The rest not.
Apple?
Whats apple, did not Adam and Eve start out with an Apple too?

;-)

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

It did although I believe it was stuck at a ~15.75kHz line rate.  I.e.,
the locking was meant to support the small variations in line rate that
you'd get coming out of video recorders or cheap cameras, but it didn't
support markedly different frame rates.

Why is X limited to a fixed frame-rate, though?  It seems like having an
API to deal with an adjustable frame-rate would be a pretty
straightforward addition?

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
On a sunny day (Tue, 13 Mar 2012 09:08:29 -0700) it happened Joel Koltner

It can be fixed, I gave the link some time ago,
  http://linuxtv.org/pipermail/vdr/2008-July/017347.html

Better would be to let the chip handle it,
There are so many frame rates and formats these days,
having solutions and modelines for the X server for each one
would be problematic,
Running mplayer or xine in X and having it doing resizing deinterlacing
perhaps and aspect correction just to name a few things, but then playing
50 Hz movies on a 60 Hz system does NOT make a real media player.
Maybe people got used to it, just like they got used
to low bitrate mp3, and highly compressed video....
Technology moving backwards.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 19:02:20 GMT, Jan Panteltje

I am not quite sure what you are going on about here.  Handbrake (thanks
to underlying tools) can convert between the two.  With enough processor
power it can do it at real time and faster rates.  It hurts S/N a bit, =
but
where were you in the meantime?

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
 > Why is X limited to a fixed frame-rate, though?

It isn't. "Someone is Wrong on the Internet."

 > It seems like having an API to deal with an adjustable frame-rate
 > would be a pretty straightforward addition?

Most desktops today have disabled the "Ctrl-Alt-plus" binding
for changing screen mode on the fly, but you can put it back in,
and software that uses SDL often changes screen mode to what
it wants.

More than once in the same post, too..

The Amiga wasn't mentioned because it wasn't a system that your common
(teenage) self-taught programmer could get into-- it was a starter in
trend for personal computers being /too hard/ to program. It took a
significant amount of effort to get into programming the Amiga to do
anything more than the completely trivial like could be done in the
feature-bereft AmigaBASIC.. You want to plot that classic 3D 'eggcarton'
graph? Yeah, you were looking at 2000 lines of 68000 assembly, or 250
lines of C, that had to hook into the system libraries with pointers.. I
don't personally know of _one_ person who got started in programming on
the Amiga-- they all started on Micros, or TurboPascal on the PC.

Whereas the 8-bitter triumvirate I mentioned can give you neat results
from programs small enough to print on one page. Dozens of computer
magazines were published for exact that.

The Apple][ was the first really popular machine with high-resolution
graphics, and got a lot of amateur programming action. HGR2 : HCOLOR=7 :
FOR I=0 TO 191 : HPLOT 0,I TO I,0 TO 191,191-I TO 191-I,191 : NEXT

--
Chris

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
On a sunny day (Thu, 15 Mar 2012 13:57:24 +1100) it happened Chris Baird

You not even understand the problem.
I have one system here with more modelines then you have ever seen
in XF86Config, and yes you can change between them with ctrl alt +/-
That is not the point, and not even that not every monitor will like that,
The point is locking the frame rate of the X server to the video played.
I gave a good link that explains it, try reading it,
The other point is that people happily play 50 Hz video on a 60 Hz
display these days, and then dare call that configuration a 'media player'.
lack of real knowledge about video.

Video, on the PC, in this time and age is mostly a joke.
That is why real media players exist, and those work in a very different way.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

If you have a TFT screen then the controller inside the TFT screen
will convert the incoming frame rate to the frame rate native to the
TFT panel. You are jumping through hoops for nothing.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
On a sunny day (Thu, 15 Mar 2012 09:00:52 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks

That depends on the type of TFT monitor.
And actually also on the type of screen.
And there is the start of it all, 'that 'controller' you talk about.
Still the X server frame refresh is not normally locked to the frame
change, only, as I pointed out if special measures are taken.
On top of that, if you have a LCD teevee with VGA input then
50 Hz is NOT a VGA standard, adding even more problems.
So then there are the guys running a 60 Hz display, probably
most of the peesees, and feeding that with HDMI into the latest LCD TV,
and then play a 50 Hz movie on it.
I have tried all that to see what happens, and it is shit.
I had, as referring to 'controller' a litte few inch 12 V composite in
monitor.
It did 50 Hz no problem, as it would just PAL decode and refresh the
LCD at that rate,
Those  TFTs are simple analog in RGB and you can control the scanning.
Nothing was 'converted'.
The big LCD TVs and monitors do indeed conversion, are basically a frame store,
but even those have to flip in a new frame in sync, else you get a tared picture,

It is amazing how little people really know about video these days,
And then do not even get me started on interlace.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

...and even if you DO match the frame rates you are still watching
a film originally shot at 24 Hz.  Do you ever notice how films on
TV are "really shit"?  No: that shows how silly the argument is.
There's sufficient latency in the eye's response that at these
kinds of frame rates a slightly inconsistent frame rate is a complete
non-issue.  You can always imagine problems if you want, but the
average user doesn't care because it isn't a problem that exists
in any real-world sense.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lonestar.org

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

Thank fuck those days are over.

Boo

Site Timeline