OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor? - Page 2

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
There is nothing special about my situation, it is just the same as most
other people.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

Thats true. I don't think the RP is very suitable for use in a
classroom. Its too fragile.

How many are not? Most are rated 1A and 2A is on its way.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

100mA would never charge a phone.  3000mA is much better.  AFAIK, they try to
charge the phone at 1C.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

Cell phone chargers do not put out 3000 mA.  They typically put out
0.5 to 0.7 mA... at least the ones I use do.  I guess the "smart"
phones that run down a 1500 mAHr battery in a day might charge at a
higher rate.

I think 100 mA is a bit light though.

Rick

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

Considering cell phone batteries typically have a capacity of 1000mAh or
more, at that rate it would take more than 8 weeks to fully charge it. I
guess you are a very, very patient guy ;-)

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

Yeah, well, I guess I'm a patient guy... of course I meant 500 to 700
mA or 0.5 to 0.7 amp.  lol

Rick

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

Mine will charge in an hour.  One of my chargers has two outputs and will
handle two phones concurrently.

*WAY* too light.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

If the classroom already has computers, you don't need to get the
Raspberry Pi at all. Just let the kids use the regular computers.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
scape.nl says...

Yes you do as IT services will not allow loading of packet sniffers
practicals with network addressing, subnets and a myriad of other things
done to those systems.

Bad enough finding accessible places from classrooms for ftp, telnet
even ping practicals.

Most people have no idea what is taught in classrooms

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

If the IT dept is concerned about that, they would be equally concerned
about Raspberry Pi boards being loaded with packet sniffers and other
software.

There's no fundamental difference, except that the Pi is smaller, and
doesn't come with a case.

If you don't want the students to have full access to the computers,
just set up a virtual machine for each student. If you're worried about
the students messing up the network, configure the host machine as a
firewall, or have an external firewall to isolate the entire classroom.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

The Model A that is intended for classrooms does not have on-board Ethernet.

-a

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
snipped-for-privacy@kapsi.spam.stop.fi.invalid says...

What is intended and what will be bought for various curricula is
different, as I have dealings with ICT/Computing teachers in UK
most are actually interested in Model B not A, hard wired LAN is easier
as lots of building have no wifi or wifi blackspots.

Anyway adding wifi may seem cheap until you lose opne or two a lesson
and more bits to check in and out.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

No problem. A USB to ethernet converter works just as well. There is a
big chance the onboard ethernet works through USB. Many SoCs don't
provide a MAC because mobile devices don't need one.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

It's only a couple of years since I did my CCNA at the local college
as evening classes.  Their solution was quite simple: each time
you do an IT refresh keep back twenty or thirty old machines for
the tinkering classes.  If a clean OS install is needed the student
does it themselves at the start of the class restoring from a Norton
Ghost image on DVD.  Any network infrastructure or servers needed
for the class is similarly set up at the start of the class.  This
was for all the courses, not just Cisco.

That worked quite well for them, where each class was at least a
couple of hours but I've imagine set up and tear down would take
up too much time for schools where a lesson is only an hour or
thereabouts.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lonestar.org

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
I love it that the old guys are telling the new kid what to do.

Maybe the RPi has a plan that does not include the legacy path for
teaching computers.

Getting people to help reduce the cost buy selling to the general public
(like OLPC).

Why not just wait till the other shoe drops.

hamilton

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
On a sunny day (Thu, 8 Mar 2012 21:54:33 -0000) it happened Paul

On top of that it needs 5V *stabilized*.
That is a big problem, it should have been 7 to 20 V unstabilized,
or 2 to 20V unstabilized,
so you could use it in a car or some battery powered system.
the extra regulator is expensive.
Most new stuff works on 3.3V or some type of Li Ion battery,

I made a little 9-20V to +5 V switcher with USB connector to charge a real
Chinese mediaplayer I have,
that because I have plenty 12V wall warts.
Adds an other 5$ at least even if DIY.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

Chinese mediaplayer I have,

You know about Dealextreme.com? You probably could have saved some
money and clear some space by throwing the 12V wall warts away :-).

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
On a sunny day (Fri, 09 Mar 2012 13:26:09 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks

Chinese mediaplayer I have,

Yes, and I know about ebay too.
I payed GBP 8.89 for the Chinese media player,
it has a 2.4 inch screen. plays Xvid, mp3, has a FM radio, mp3 player, calendar,
stopwatch, camera,
microUSB, audio recorder, can record video from that camera,
and a build in battery.
Quality is excellent.
It educational value is fantastic if you play educational videos on it,
for example the Feynman lectures.

So the 5 $ extra for that switcher did not weight that heavy.
Of course it has free shipping from China.

If you do some searching on ebay you find a lot of single board computahs too.
I never bought one of those, but there was some cool stuff around,
like with touch screen and what not.

This week I bought some nice 16 GB USB sticks,
One HD movie fits on it:-)
My Samsung 46 inch LCD plays it,
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-Aureate-tornado-key-8GB-16GB-32GB-USB-Memory-Stick-Flash-Pen-Drive-/160751880496?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item256d8f0930
Just bought it for the looks, and because it is actually cheaper than the local
shops.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
On a sunny day (Fri, 09 Mar 2012 13:26:09 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks

Chinese mediaplayer I have,

Oh, I forgot to mention WHY I did the separate charger...
The PC USB port would switch itself off because of too much current,
IIRC it is only 600mA in the spec? Not sure.
If the strawberry pie is indeed 700mA that will promise a whole
lot of fun on a whole lot of peesees.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
Chinese mediaplayer I have,

The USB 2.0 spec only allows for 500 mA maximum current after the device
has been configured. Unconfigured devices are only allowed 100 mA. For
devices that require more than 100 mA, the configuration is only done
after the host first reads the current requirement, and has determined
that it can still supply it. For instance, a 4 port bus-powered USB hub
can only support 4 devices if they have a max 100 mA requirement.

Cell phone/battery chargers with a USB type plug are not limited to
those currents, and can typically supply more.

Site Timeline