Old hard drives

Is there any practical use for old IDE hard drives, 50-200MB in
working order. Or are they only fit for trashing? Any ideas?

Re: Old hard drives

I use these with PC104 based equipment during the design phase.  It is then
replaced with an M-Disk or other flash device as required.

Re: Old hard drives

  You can also set up a hard drive to install software on the M-Disk if
its a production item. Boot from the hard drive, copy the files and
install.  The work I did with M-Disk engineering insisted on booting
from a floppy and using a half assed connection to the engineering
server to download the files which took a lot longer.  I also found out
they used my network login and password on the floppy to log in where
anyone who could use any word processor could read the file.

   This is just 'one' reason I didn't like the IT dept.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Re: Old hard drives

then

That's what I do, it's a big time saver.

I hope you changed your password!

Re: Old hard drives

   I gathered up all the boot disks then I got the head of engineering
and the head of IT in one room and gave them hell.  By the time I got
back to my bench the backup files were no longer on the  server.  The
new version had a new user log in under the product name and the
password was "test" and that log in only let you access one virtual
drive to program two models of our product line.
--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Re: Old hard drives

   I use them to test old computer boards.  I also used them as a
secondary drive in a few spare computers for data storage or .CAB files
to repair a damaged operating system.  They don't take up much space and
they do come in handy.  I have about 25 spare drives.  Some work and
some don't but I've had good luck swapping boards on the same model to
recover data when the board fails.

   If you don't need them sell them or give them to a school.  In the US
there is a concept called "Freecycle" where you post things you don't
want and if someone can use it the e-mail you and pick it up.  There is
a local group where I live and I've given away some computer parts to
people that way.

   http://freecycle.org/ Check it out and see if there is one near you,
or start one in your town.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Re: Old hard drives

There is a group called Computer Angels in Perth who recycle old
computers and then donate them to various people/organisations.

http://www.computerangels.org.au /

Alan

Jenal Communications
Re: Old hard drives

they got a strong pair of magnets
and some ss screws and torx screws for the collection box

Re: Old hard drives

A very creative person built a windmill using the bearing of the
harddisk.

It's a long thread and there are pictures down the screen.

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/viewtopic.php?t12%968&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start15%0

Regards

L.Chung

Re: Old hard drives

ok how about this.
a platter makes a great emergency mirror - signalling device, as it is
so smooth and flat, not so good as a shaving mirror cause of the hole.
try to aim the reflected sunlight to the searching aircraft, look
through the hole in the middle and align with your finger or what ever
held out in front of you.

Re: Old hard drives

I made a small steam turbine using HD bearings. It runs
on the top of the stove, although it's a bit too small
for the smallest burner. It was a demo for my kids.

Re: Old hard drives

Yes, I've discovered the bearings and have a nice little collection,
along with the ones from old 3.5" FDDs.
Can you *imagine* how much they would cost to buy?
I might even be able to get the spindle motors going.

I might set up the platters as an array and see if I can set fire to
something with them.

It's too bad the MiniScribe stopped working, it would have been good
to have that going.

Re: Old hard drives

scrap alloy

Re: Old hard drives

I've seen them made into table lamps.  One even pulsed the spindle motor for
a visual effect.  The drive was opened and mounted in a plexiglas box with
some accent LEDs.  Very pretty but I'm not going to pay $150 for a lamp!

Re: Old hard drives

If I find two identical types such as conner 3.5" or old seagate
(??250?) 5.25" that have deep covers. I hinge two covers together to
make litlle tool boxes.  I use the magnets glued on the inside to hole
the box colsed.  Sometimes I even mill the internal mounts down to make
it nice and smooth.  On one occaision I even lined it with velvet and
gave it to a friend, she uses it to keep here sewing gear in.

Re: Old hard drives

you can also make  a noisy mobile
out fo the disks inside, thay ring when hit.