Old fashioned LCD driver

I'm in need of a chip to drive a pair of 7 segment by 6 digit LCD displays. Each display has 50 pins (1 earth, 48 segments and I think 1 NC). It seems everything I search for is designed for dot matrix style displays with a bazillion pixels. Would it be possible to run the 2 displays off the same chip and somehow alternate between the 2 (switching the earth I presume) or would I need to drive all 96 segments seperately.

Thanks, Michael

Reply to
Michael C

The LCD panel should also have an input for the backplane signal. This cannot be DC or the panel will be damaged.

You will need a flip flop per segment to hold the data to the segment inputs. The flip flop inputs can be multiplexed to save on processor I/O ports.

Any chance you can read the display part number?

Reply to
Lord Garth

You could use two of these from Rockby:

for five odd bucks and get 80 segments.

The datasheet shows slaved examples of the IC.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Make that: Three slaved IC's for five odd bucks each to get 120 segments.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

s.

or

Could also look at silicon chips "USB CLOCK" Project. This drives a similar sort of LCD from a PIC, using a couple of IC's.

kreed

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 16:01:54 -0800 (PST), kreed put finger to keyboard and composed:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

I don't have the display with me but it's your standard 7 segment x 6 digits display (I have 2 of these to drive). Much like the display in this pic except 6 digits.

Michael C

Thanks Mark, that's pretty much perfect. Input is serial, it has 2 backplanes, it's available at digikey and it's cheap. The only downside is I can't do it all with 1 chip :-) I2C would be an advantage but I've got lots of spare pins so not really necessary.

Michael

Reply to
Michael C

Thanks, I will have a look.

Michael

Reply to
Michael C

I should be able to get away wih 2 of the 64 segment chips as I've got 2 displays and can put 1 on each backplane.

Michael

Reply to
Michael C