Old fashioned LCD driver

I'm in need of a chip to drive a pair of 7 segment by 6 digit LCD displays.
Each display has 50 pins (1 earth, 48 segments and I think 1 NC). It seems
everything I search for is designed for dot matrix style displays with a
bazillion pixels. Would it be possible to run the 2 displays off the same
chip and somehow alternate between the 2 (switching the earth I presume) or
would I need to drive all 96 segments seperately.

Thanks,
Michael

Re: Old fashioned LCD driver

The LCD panel should also have an input for the backplane signal.
This cannot be DC or the panel will be damaged.

You will need a flip flop per segment to hold the data to the segment
inputs.  The flip flop inputs can be multiplexed to save on processor
I/O ports.

Any chance you can read the display part number?

Re: Old fashioned LCD driver

I don't have the display with me but it's your standard 7 segment x 6 digits
display (I have 2 of these to drive). Much like the display in this pic
except 6 digits.

http://us1.webpublications.com.au:80/static/images/articles/i1109/110923_5mg.jpg

Re: Old fashioned LCD driver

   You could use two of these from Rockby:
http://www.rockby.com.au/DSheets/25933.pdf
for five odd bucks and get 80 segments.

The datasheet shows slaved examples of the IC.

Re: Old fashioned LCD driver

Make that: Three slaved IC's for five odd bucks each
to get 120 segments.

Re: Old fashioned LCD driver

I should be able to get away wih 2 of the 64 segment chips as I've got 2
displays and can put 1 on each backplane.

Michael

Re: Old fashioned LCD driver

Thanks Mark, that's pretty much perfect. Input is serial, it has 2
backplanes, it's available at digikey and it's cheap. The only downside is I
can't do it all with 1 chip :-) I2C would be an advantage but I've got lots
of spare pins so not really necessary.

Michael

Re: Old fashioned LCD driver

Could also look at silicon chips "USB CLOCK" Project. This drives a
similar sort of LCD from a PIC, using a couple of IC's.

www.siliconchip.com.au

Re: Old fashioned LCD driver
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 16:01:54 -0800 (PST), kreed

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/i1109/110923_5mg.jpg

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Old fashioned LCD driver

Thanks, I will have a look.