ohm converter

ok ive got a fj40 landcruiser thats now on straight lpg they want 200bux for the converter to use the standard gauge with the lpg tank so i said stuff that

anyway the lpg sender is 0 ohm empty and 90 ohm full and the standard gauge is 120ohm empty and 17 ohm full

so what im wanting is a simple circuit so i can hook them up and have a proper gauge

i can build circuit boards and stuff im just no good ad designing circuits i just dont know where to start

Reply to
pcman

I can't think of a passive design that will do this (off the top of my head). there could be one ??

an easy way of doing it is using an inverting amplifer design. but you would have to work with voltage/current references not resistances. that's easy to do, but you need to find out a little bit more about the electrical characteristics of the fuel meter.

here is one way i would do it (basic overview)--

- i would supply the tank a constant current, say with a current mirror (you can configure an LM317 as a constant current source). that would give you a resistance to voltage conversion.

- feed this voltage into an inverting opamp configuration. This will produce an inverted voltage.

- What you do with the output voltage (or current) depends on how the fuel meter guage works. you might find that the meter is measuring current flow for example. if so, then you can configure the opamp to supply a given current.

me personally, if you are not prepared for a few days of analysis, building, testing etc.. then i would just pay the 200 moola. alot of time and energy goes into designing something that reliable and ruggled. $200 sounds like a cheaper opinion.

i would try to build it though, it is sounds like a fun project ;)

cheers

pcman wrote:

Reply to
fred.kroft

Maybe I am dreaming but the solution seems simple to me - just install a switch that changes the input to the fuel gauge from the petrol sender to the lpg sender, BUT include a 18 ohm (or so) resister in the lead from the lpg sender.

Note that the full to empty range of both senders is fairly close, but that the lpg sender empty is 0 whereas the petrol empty is 17ohms. So if you just compensate for this initial resistance you should have a near enough gauge for your lpg. Remembering that fuel gauges only provide a rough idea of fuel capacity, this should be near enough and certainly better than spending $200 for ???

David

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

And put 360Ohms across the meter to bring the full-scale resistance correct. You could be pedantic and put it across the series resistor as well, but it's close enough either way.

Ken

"quietguy" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVE-TO-REPLYconfidential-counselling.com...

Reply to
Ken Taylor

And don't forget a new scale on the guage as the sender operation is now reversed (ie fuel giage says full when it is actually empty!)

Alan

Jenal Communications
Manufacturers and Suppliers of HF Selcall
P O Box 1108, Morley, Western Australia
Tel: +61 8 9370 5533 Fax +61 8 9467 6146
Web Site: http://www.jenal.com
Contact: http://www.jenal.com/?p=1
Alan

Yes, David did mention that. Mind you, it'd be a conversation piece - "Hey look, my fuel economy is so good I generate fuel when driving!". :-)

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Just put a sticker on the guage to read empty as full and full as empty .

European like the blinkers / wiper washer

in

spending

standard

have

Reply to
FruitLoop

i musnt have been thinking straight when i typed the message i took my dash apart and repainted the gauge so it looks correct then put a

18 ohm resistor inline ite better than having no gauge and seems pretty acurate sofar

thanks for the help guys i might put a 360ohm in aswell see if that makes it better

correct.

lpg

just

gauge

fuel

pcman

Excellent! Funny how the simplest solution often eludes us (thanks David!). Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers.

Ken

it

in

spending

standard

have

Reply to
Ken Taylor

feedback is always good ive added the info to our 4x4club so all the guys that run lpg can use this tip on theres

im happy having a fuel gauge, when you cant get a jerrycan of petrol its a really good thing

David!).

put

makes

but