oh dear how sad neve mind

Australia to ban standard light bulb
www.smh.com.au/news/environment/light-bulbs-ban-to-slash-emissions/2007/02/1
9/1171733685061.html
but of a bugger when you go to check out a power supply in a TV

Re: oh dear how sad neve mind

bulbwww.smh.com.au/news/environment/light-bulbs-ban-to-slash-emissions/20...

Too bad millions of people leave the lights and their computers on at
work when they go home.
Our company has an environmental policy which says we should be saving
power, but the computer use policy says we have to leave our computers
on 24/7
*sigh*

Dave :)

Re: oh dear how sad neve mind

I reckon the whole thing is a red herring. In both water and power the
concentration is on the domestic user but the proportion of power used by
that group is in the minor league compared to the major users, namely
business and primary producers.
--
Cheers .......... Rheilly P

Re: oh dear how sad neve mind

Did anyone see the picture of the "fluoro" bulb on the front page of The
Australian ?? today?
An old ugly model that looked like it had seen better days - tell tale signs
of "blackening" of the phosphor coating.

Typical Howard with his head up his bum outlook.  As has been mentioned
earlier in this thread, I wonder how many new houses have just been fitted
with halogen incandescent light fittings?  Bet the owners are really looking
forward to replacing them all in three years time. :-(

I don't object to idea of energy efficient lighting, but frankly I haven't
seen any of these so called energy efficient types that don't emit a "harsh"
light and look okay.

I guess, if the silly old fart is still in office, will we see The Lodge
undergo a complete lighting refit?  Not bloody likely.

Re: oh dear how sad neve mind

Not for water in a big city like Sydney, the largest user of water is
domestic.

Dave :)

Re: oh dear how sad neve mind

bulbwww.smh.com.au/news/environment/light-bulbs-ban-to-slash-emissions/20...
Yeah well a lot of virus scanners operate while you are
1) not at work , while you are away
2) it allows online maintainance to be done by techs who never have to
be in front of your machine.
3) it allows the computer to stay at a constant temperature, never
having to cool down causing temperature stress on components. Thats the
theory anyway. Reality is that these days computers are less likely to
fail due to this.
4) It saves not having to wait to boot it up in the morning and
5) they can eventually do away with the on/off switch
6) Most failures are due t o power supplies smoking when they start up
so less strain on the components, the  hell with the environment your
computer IS the environment.

Re: oh dear how sad neve mind

bulbwww.smh.com.au/news/environment/light-bulbs-ban-to-slash-emissions/20...

Not ours, we have to log out.

Ours does that automatically when we restart the machine in the
morning.

Most companies use a lease deal so they are replaced after 2-3 years
anyway, and end up as ex-lease machines at the computer markets.

We still have to "boot up" by a very lengthy login anyway.

How would we reboot Windoze? Reaching under the desk or behind the
machine for the power cord sucks.

You might possibly need to get out more! :->
Oh, I forgot, with Google Earth you can experience the world without
leaving the computer!

Dave :)

Re: oh dear how sad neve mind

bulbwww.smh.com.au/news/environment/light-bulbs-ban-to-slash-emissions/20...
Chnage it
Cannot be done if they need to be updated etc.

I hope the lease deal means lost data is gauranteed to be secure.

Who set up your system? Sack em.

to be rebooted

...Reaching under the desk or behind the
or The reset switch?

No cannot do. I fix them and hafta get out to fix machines used by cretins.

Re getting out, your probably right, some was tongue in cheek, but its
not about computers failing so much as its about loosing data and making
sure you loose it properly. Not in some wishy washy way.

Re: oh dear how sad neve mind

It works just fine for us.
We log out at night (or in my case switch off), and any required
updates get automatically installed next time we log in, via some sort
of scripting thing I presume.

What lost data?
All company data is saved on the network which is automatically backed
up daily both on and off site. We aren't actually allowed to have any
data on our local hard drive.

When the machines go back to the lease company all hard drives are
securely wiped for security reasons.

Big companies have complex systems and procedures, it takes time. It
also allows for convenient automated daily tasks like timesheet entry.

needs to be rebooted

I thought reset switches went out a decade ago.
None of our Dells have reset switches, just a "soft" power switch.

Huh?

Dave :)

Re: oh dear how sad neve mind

gonna be fun, trying to replace a globe in a microwave oven.
Fun in the theatre "Wait a minute, we juz gotta warm up the spot" -
flicker - flicker.

The pollies have gone raving mad.

Re: oh dear how sad neve mind

LED maybe?

LED spots already exist, they do colours without gels.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: oh dear how sad neve mind

Spots will stay, its just home users and remember its not what you do
before an election, its what you appear to do before the elections. Look
like your really keen on saving the world.
I reckon, since no wars were ever fought because of bicycles, we should
right. Now if we would only build cities in the desert and leave the
fertile land alone for growing things.

Re: oh dear how sad neve mind

Waddyu mean? they are right dangerous. Proof positive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?vCF%Y1zXteDYc&mode=related&search
=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkcpRPeEd4E&mode=related&search
=
and real bike wars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k5Maf6d4SY&mode=related&search
=

:-)

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Re: oh dear how sad neve mind

Crickey Don, you have to find better things to do with your time.
Besides as usual, they were using bikes for competitive behaviour.
Mind you a couple showed promise after their bike career was over,
(probably about then) for competitive boxing. Some very good moves there

Re: oh dear how sad neve mind

not to mention.............the fridge light.