Oatley Electronics Q

Hi,

anyone got a schem for the Oatley Electronics " Glo Plug Driver " published in Silicon Chip in March 2000 ?

Bugger about the US archive being bluffed out of carrying this old stuff.

If you do, can you post it somewhere ?

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

This any help Phil?

--
Shaun.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
~misfit~

--
Shaun.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
~misfit~

** Thanks.

That must be the one, wot an awful POS.

I was curious cos a design of mine was published in EA magazine in the late 1980s in "Circuit & Design Ideas".

Nothing like the above.

It was buck regulator with a pot-core inductor and loop feedback to regulate the actual temperature of the coil in a Glo plug. When the engine started, current backed right off automatically, avoiding burn outs.

Good efficiency, it drew a steady 500 to 700 mA from a battery over a wide voltage range with plug attached. I used a 2.5 Ah gell cell.

OTOH - the Oatley driver draws 20amp spikes of current with a 5 to 10% duty cycle. Only works with a car battery or Ni-Cd pack, any operator errors burn out the plug.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison