NZ reverses ban on lamps

Hi to all,

the Kiwis are leading to way back into the light by reversing previous plans
to ban the sale of the humble household incandescent light bulb.

http://national.org.nz/Article.aspx?ArticleID29%097

Meanwhile, the poms are panic buying 100 watt bulbs as stocks disappear from
shops.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1107290/Revolt-Robbed-right-buy-traditional-light-bulbs-millions-clearing-shelves-supplies.html

We live in interesting times.....

How are your stocks of  60, 75 and 100 watt bulbs?

....   Phil

Re: NZ reverses ban on lamps

My stock are zero, I don't use'em.

Dave.

Re: NZ reverses ban on lamps

  So I take it you have no trouble finding the smaller lamp fitting format,
  AND at a price that is within the realm of somewhat reasonable?

  Because so far, neither is the case.

  I'm stocking up on incandescents, because the CFLs are going to be easy to
get anyway, and so far, as far as failure rate goes (testing over a year) CFL
wins by a nose.  Just a nose.  Just accounting for life TIME, disregarding cost.
  In other words, incandescents win by a mile on the value-for-money scale.

  But screw that, dish out a few freebies to key voters, and let them sort out
the cost themselves later.  Politics is more important.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: NZ reverses ban on lamps

None what so ever, plenty of minature CF's around for my more unusual
(smaller) fittings.
Of course I was also smart enough to install compact fluro friendly fittings
when appropriate when I moved in.
I'm now starting to use the T5 flush mount circular fluros too for my most
used lights:
http://www.envirolux.com.au /
Very nice even light, high output, instant turn-on, no flicker,
wife-approved looks, and supposedly much longer life because they run cooler
with the external circuitry.

So rather than just bitch about the negative aspects of compact fluros's, as
many people on here tend to do, I did something about it and have no
problems what so ever.

Yep, I think so.

For you maybe.
I have no problems at all, thanks.

Funny how some of my compact fluros's have been going for close to 10 years
now.

Only a few of the CF's I've had over the years have had either short life,
flicker, or slow warm up times. I didn't bitch about it, I simply used
appropriate fittings and found ones that worked as I wanted and expected.

Dave.

Re: NZ reverses ban on lamps

Thanks for the link Dave, have been looking for something like this for a while.

Re: NZ reverses ban on lamps

I've got this one in particular:
http://www.beaconshop.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id56%6&category_id23%&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1
Available in two different wattage sizes.

Was supplied with a 4200K cool white globe, which I normally like, but I
found it much too harsh in my room in this case, almost blinding. Found the
2700K warm white was much better suited. Spare T5 globes were around $8
IRRC.

The "Megaman" brand compact fluros are also excellent, but quite expensive.
Available in a range of fittings.
http://www.megaman.cc/global/index.php

Dave.

Re: NZ reverses ban on lamps

http://www.beaconshop.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id56%6&category_id23%&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

And yes, dimmable versions in normal and downlight style available too for
those who like to have a whinge.

Dave.

Re: NZ reverses ban on lamps

Not good enough. We have a lot of dimmers, and the lights
they're connected to are often operated at low levels,
maybe even lower power levels than a full-brightness CFL.
If there was an equivalent LED replacement available now,
I'd consider switching. As it is, the incandescent ban
will force me to remove the dimmers and/or change many
light fittings - I'll be stocking up instead.

Can anyone suggest a bulk supplier who'll sell by the box
at a good price? Middy's, perhaps?

Clifford Heath.

Re: NZ reverses ban on lamps

If you can't find a bulk supplier, Bunnings still seem to have a lot of
stock, but forget the supermarkets - they seem to have none.

Peter

Re: NZ reverses ban on lamps

Was having a discussion about this with a friend who is a Real Estate
rental property manager.  Many rental properties would have dimmers,
and its inevitable that
tenants are going to put CFL's into the dimmed sockets - (if they
arent already) for certain once they are banned.

I suggested that he get all the dimmers removed - This didn't go down
to well, considering the cost involved.

Re: NZ reverses ban on lamps
On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 16:47:44 +1100, "Phil Allison"

I have a couple of light fittings that cant accomodate a decent CFL.
The 13W = 100W light output is crap if you ask me. I tried to buy a
CFL that would fit my light fixtures and they are a piss poor
alternative, not bright enough.

Re: NZ reverses ban on lamps

You believed a dummed down consumer friendly marketing driven rough
comparison?
Real-life comparisons vary enormously depending on many factors.

You need to look harder. There are now oodles of different types and the
wattage/size ratio seems to be improving every year.
Try:
http://www.megaman.cc/global/index.php
for starters.

Dave.

Re: NZ reverses ban on lamps

"The Real Andy"

**  Course it's crap
-  as no CFL maker claims any such thing.

You stupid drunk prick.

.....      Phil

Re: NZ reverses ban on lamps

13W = 100W ?

The comparisons I have seen generally give about a 1:5 ratio, making
it closer to 13W equivalent to 60W.

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: NZ reverses ban on lamps
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1107290/Revolt-Robbed-right-buy-traditional-light-bulbs-millions-clearing-shelves-supplies.html

I have a couple of CFLs in the bedrooms. The CFL is integrated inside a
large frosted globe, they look nice and give a very diffused light, but
they take a hell of a time to warm up. They take nearly 5 minutes to
reach full brightness, they also give a faint green glow for a couple of
minutes after being turned off.

Anybody else seen this effect, other CFLs in the house do not exhibit
these characteristics.

Keith

Re: NZ reverses ban on lamps

As long as you can afford the electricity costs, especially when carbon
taxes are introduced, otherwise you may regret it.

MrT.

Re: NZ reverses ban on lamps

I doubt it will ever happen as AGW has about 2-3 years left in it befiore
the actual truth comes out.

You can also vote for an anti-AGW party.

Graham

Re: NZ reverses ban on lamps

As the internet is largely responsible for exposing more and more
government
bullshit - such as this -  and ruining their plans, making governments
look the fools they are,
No wonder they are desperate to censor the net.

Re: NZ reverses ban on lamps

How badly do you pong ?

Graham

Re: NZ reverses ban on lamps

not as badly as some do, eh ?
Do the sums, mate you will discover how energy-intensive a simple thing such as
hot water really is....>