NZ reverses ban on lamps

Hi to all,

the Kiwis are leading to way back into the light by reversing previous plans to ban the sale of the humble household incandescent light bulb.

Meanwhile, the poms are panic buying 100 watt bulbs as stocks disappear from shops.

We live in interesting times.....

How are your stocks of 60, 75 and 100 watt bulbs?

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

My stock are zero, I don't use'em.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Not good enough. We have a lot of dimmers, and the lights they're connected to are often operated at low levels, maybe even lower power levels than a full-brightness CFL. If there was an equivalent LED replacement available now, I'd consider switching. As it is, the incandescent ban will force me to remove the dimmers and/or change many light fittings - I'll be stocking up instead.

Can anyone suggest a bulk supplier who'll sell by the box at a good price? Middy's, perhaps?

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

If you can't find a bulk supplier, Bunnings still seem to have a lot of stock, but forget the supermarkets - they seem to have none.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

So I take it you have no trouble finding the smaller lamp fitting format, AND at a price that is within the realm of somewhat reasonable?

Because so far, neither is the case.

I'm stocking up on incandescents, because the CFLs are going to be easy to get anyway, and so far, as far as failure rate goes (testing over a year) CFL wins by a nose. Just a nose. Just accounting for life TIME, disregarding cost. In other words, incandescents win by a mile on the value-for-money scale.

But screw that, dish out a few freebies to key voters, and let them sort out the cost themselves later. Politics is more important.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

Was having a discussion about this with a friend who is a Real Estate rental property manager. Many rental properties would have dimmers, and its inevitable that tenants are going to put CFL's into the dimmed sockets - (if they arent already) for certain once they are banned.

I suggested that he get all the dimmers removed - This didn't go down to well, considering the cost involved.

Reply to
kreed

None what so ever, plenty of minature CF's around for my more unusual (smaller) fittings. Of course I was also smart enough to install compact fluro friendly fittings when appropriate when I moved in. I'm now starting to use the T5 flush mount circular fluros too for my most used lights:

Very nice even light, high output, instant turn-on, no flicker, wife-approved looks, and supposedly much longer life because they run cooler with the external circuitry.

So rather than just bitch about the negative aspects of compact fluros's, as many people on here tend to do, I did something about it and have no problems what so ever.

Yep, I think so.

For you maybe. I have no problems at all, thanks.

Funny how some of my compact fluros's have been going for close to 10 years now.

Only a few of the CF's I've had over the years have had either short life, flicker, or slow warm up times. I didn't bitch about it, I simply used appropriate fittings and found ones that worked as I wanted and expected.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Thanks for the link Dave, have been looking for something like this for a while.

Reply to
swanny

I have a couple of light fittings that cant accomodate a decent CFL. The 13W = 100W light output is crap if you ask me. I tried to buy a CFL that would fit my light fixtures and they are a piss poor alternative, not bright enough.

Reply to
The Real Andy

I've got this one in particular:

Available in two different wattage sizes.

Was supplied with a 4200K cool white globe, which I normally like, but I found it much too harsh in my room in this case, almost blinding. Found the

2700K warm white was much better suited. Spare T5 globes were around $8 IRRC.

The "Megaman" brand compact fluros are also excellent, but quite expensive. Available in a range of fittings.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

And yes, dimmable versions in normal and downlight style available too for those who like to have a whinge.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

You believed a dummed down consumer friendly marketing driven rough comparison? Real-life comparisons vary enormously depending on many factors.

You need to look harder. There are now oodles of different types and the wattage/size ratio seems to be improving every year. Try:

for starters.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

"The Real Andy"

** Course it's crap

- as no CFL maker claims any such thing.

You stupid drunk prick.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

13W = 100W ?

The comparisons I have seen generally give about a 1:5 ratio, making it closer to 13W equivalent to 60W.

Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

I have a couple of CFLs in the bedrooms. The CFL is integrated inside a large frosted globe, they look nice and give a very diffused light, but they take a hell of a time to warm up. They take nearly 5 minutes to reach full brightness, they also give a faint green glow for a couple of minutes after being turned off.

Anybody else seen this effect, other CFLs in the house do not exhibit these characteristics.

Keith

Reply to
keithr

You need a 23W typ CFL to equal a 100W GLS lamp.

Look carefully on the packaging and the CFL is compared to a 'softone' i.e. low output bulb.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

As long as you can afford the electricity costs, especially when carbon taxes are introduced, otherwise you may regret it.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

How badly do you pong ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I doubt it will ever happen as AGW has about 2-3 years left in it befiore the actual truth comes out.

You can also vote for an anti-AGW party.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

As the internet is largely responsible for exposing more and more government bullshit - such as this - and ruining their plans, making governments look the fools they are, No wonder they are desperate to censor the net.

Reply to
kreed