Nuisance fastners - winge

I had occasion to dismantle a cheap pedestal fan the other day (Coles
Home Collection). It hadn't failed, but I wanted to see how it was wired
up (that's another story).

The cover to the button panel was held in place by four screws which
were identical except that two were philips head type, and the other two
had a triangular socket in the head.

I have bits to cope with most things I've encountered, but not those.
What's the point? Are they worried about competition for repairing these
$10 fans?

Do consumers regularly electrocute themselves by taking fans apart
without knowing what they're doing?

Sylvia.

Re: Nuisance fastners - winge
On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 22:29:35 +1100, Sylvia Else

I just used a small flat blade screwdriver to remove them. Got to be
the right size though to jam along one flat of the triangle.

--
Sell your surplus electronic components at
http://ozcomponents.com

Well, I got one of them undone using a tri-wing bit, but stripped the
other attempting to do the same thing. However, I managed to see what I
wanted to see.

<
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e9/Screw_Head_-_Tri-wing.svg/40px-Screw_Head_-_Tri-wing.svg.png

Sylvia.

Re: Nuisance fastners - winge

attempting to do the same thing. However, I managed to

Which was ?
Is there a point to this thread apart from the type of screw you couldn't screw ?

Re: Nuisance fastners - winge
screw ?
  The point is stupid is as stupid does (syliva)
   the screws are the manufactures way of saying no user serviceable
parts do not open

Re: Nuisance fastners - winge

screw ?

   It is their lawyer's way of attempting to avoid lawsuits.

Teflon coated.

Re: Nuisance fastners - winge

screw ?

Not really. The word "winge" in the subject line should have hinted at that.

Sylvia.

Re: Nuisance fastners - winge

And how was it wired up ?

Re: Nuisance fastners - winge

In a particular way.

Sylvia.

Re: Nuisance fastners - winge

I'm reminded of an old Rodriguez cartoon in Popular Electronics.

First panel: On a large speaker cabinet. "to prevent shock do not
remove cover"

Second panel: Owner taking out a LOT of screws.

Third panel: Owner on floor clutching chest. Inside of huge cabinet
has 2" transistor radio speaker inside.

Jeff

Re: Nuisance fastners - winge

They are only a tamperproof head of which there are various and easily
available.. Wait until you come across a coffin head screw.I believe the
reason for using them is that some countries prevent the dismantle of an
appliance without the use of a tool or special tool so this way all fields
are covered in one assembly. Did you find out how it worked. They are made
to break. Best way to keep them longer is to keep the Blades clean and
lubricate the bearings NOT with WD40 or the like.

Metro

Re: Nuisance fastners - winge

As I said, it hadn't broken. I was actually trying to figure out which
wire was which leading to the induction motor. I had in mind making it
run backwards. Aerofoils don't perform as well backwards, but they do
perform. However, on further consideration I realised that the fan
blades would be aerodynamically stalled if the fan ran backwards, with
the result that it would probably not work much at all.

Sylvia.

Site Timeline