Not reading a DVD +/-RW

Have a Sony SLV-D985P DVD player that is refusing to read any DVD+RW or
DVD-RW DVDs.  Can anyone suggest what can be done to remedy this (two of the
DVDs that refuse to play in this player will play in another player).

Thanks

Kevin

Re: Not reading a DVD +/-RW

Does it play DVD+R or DVD-R, if so, then that's your solution. I've
heard that quite a few players don't like RW's.

Dave :)

Re: Not reading a DVD +/-RW

David L. Jones furiously typed the following on 5/07/2006 9:25 PM:

Also worth checking out their respective websites - I know that some
sony and panasonic drives dont like certain media and a simple flash rom
upgrade usually does the trick.

:-D  --  Richard W

Re: Not reading a DVD +/-RW

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 07:37:06 GMT, "Kevin Ettery"

If the player detects the media type and refuses to play RW media,
then you may be able to fool it by "bit setting", ie an RW disc may be
identified as a DVD-ROM by setting certain ID bits. I believe this
feature is not supported by all burners, though.

- Franc Zabkar