Nokia Battery pinout - Page 2

Re: Nokia Battery pinout

Thanks for that info. While these phones and batteries are very popular,
there seems to be little in the way of technical info available for the
battery.

Re: Nokia Battery pinout

Pull the battery apart. If you don't want to destroy your ask a phone shop
if they have any dead ones.

Re: Nokia Battery pinout

You're probably better off researching lithium ion chargers - I understand
their charging regime is different to NiMH and NiCad, and I'm fairly sure
that with the correct circuit you can charge them properly using only the +
and - terminals, so you don't really need to know what the other connections
are for.

Re: Nokia Battery pinout

correct

correct

Re: Nokia Battery pinout

+
connections

I have looked into charging lithiums. The general practice is to hold a
constant current till the battery reaches 4.2V, then taper off the current
and hold the voltage at 4.2V till the charge current is under 10% of what it
initially started at. Then switch off. (no trickle charge)

It would still be nice tho to find a web page of someone who has already
done something like this. I'm sure they have and I'm sure there is a web
site that describes it but its a shame that these phones and batteries are
so popular that every site I find using google is one that wants to sell me
nokia accessories!!!

For the record I'd prefer not to open the battery so I would still like to
know for sure what is connected to the other terminals and other specs.
including charge current etc.

Re: Nokia Battery pinout

Yup.

I have designed a commercially available Li-Ion charger, and unfortunately they
aren't cheap if they are any good.  My client tested many available units before
deciding to commission his own product, based on their unsuitability for one
reason or another.

It is probably either of two items:  a protection module connection or a  temp
sensor.

Temp is used as a charge "qualifier" (charging is inhibited if temp is too
high/low).

Protection modules are normally employed in multi-cell packs.  Their roles
include over-voltage/under-voltage/over-current protection as well as monitoring
and intervening in the event of cell voltage mismatch.  The latter is necessary
when a two-terminal approach is to be employed in charging/discharging a series
string of cells, as otherwise cell voltage imbalance can cause individual cells
to go under/over-voltage while the pack voltage is within spec.  Because of the
safety implications of this, protection is employed.

In a single-cell application (of which cellphones are the most typical), there
is obviously no imablance issue so teh rpotection required is purely related to
charge/discharge voltage and excess current situations.  It makes sense - not
always the driver of design/production though - to incorporate as much of this
circuitry as is possible in the phone rather than the (disposable) cell.  So I
would not expect there to be too much of the protection system housed within the
cell package.  This is particularly so as the terminals on your 3315 type phone
are fairly well protected from external contact when in the normal operating
position.

Certainly thoughtful use of a DMM would reveal good clues as to the nature of
anything connected to those extra terminals.

Site Timeline