Nokia Battery pinout

I'm after the pinout of a Nokia Lithium Ion battery. Part number BLC-2

Its the common one found in the 3350, 3315 etc. range of phones.

I see it has 4 pins. I wanted to build this battery into a circuit and wanted to design an in circuit charger for it and need some basic charging specs.

With the pages of crap I get when I google "nokia battery" or "nokia hack" I have not found one good site with the specifications of this battery.

Any good leads?

Reply to
Heywood Jablome

Yes, your multimeter leads.

Reply to
two bob

OK Let's label the pinouts as ABCD. The battery is fully charged. So I measure just over 4V between A and D. Between A and C I measure just under

4V. Could this be a reverse protection diode in circuit? Could it be a thermal switch with near 0 resistance? I could speculate, but I dunno. I do not measure anything between A and B. Can I be sure that there is nothing connected to B? Again I am none the wiser.

As the battery is very popular I would assume that someone out there has already done the hard work for me. That's why I ask whether anyone has come across a website with the internal details.

Reply to
Heywood Jablome

Forget the battery, why not check the charger you already have.

Reply to
two bob

"Heywood Jablome">

** The battery contacts are A & D.

Bet the polarity is marked in the plastic nearby as well.

** The battery PLUS a series thermistor.

** No.

** That's for sure.

** Now switch your multi-meter to ohms and probe between the contacts that showed NO voltage reading

It will maybe read something like 50 ohms to 50 kohms.

........... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Two outside ones are + and - (marked on the label side). The other two are for battery id (you can get BMC-3 which is NiMH in the same housing, it works with the same phones). I've read some details about middle terminals some months ago and don't remember very well. I think there is a resistor between middle terminals with different value for BLC-2 and BMC-3.

My own research - BLC-2 seems to have ~122 k resistor between the middle terminals and nothing else while BMC-3 has ~39 k resistor between middle terminals and a diode(?) between + and closest terminal - 0.37V one way one no current other way.

I'll try to dig out the original info.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

he'd be better off with the ni-mh battery in my opinion, lithium batteries are very picky about how they are charged and likely to go bang in a bad way if handled wrong, however, you could use an old 3310 or equiv' to hold and charge the battery and just tap from it with some wire.

highly recommend using the ni-mh version if you are going to charge with simple stuff.

Reply to
matt2-amstereo

charging

hack" I

Thanks Tom. I'll investigate that and see what resistance I get. What I am also interested in is the charge rate, maximum allowed discharge rate and other specs, so if there is a reasonably reputable web site with these figures, that would be nice.

I am quite aware of the dangers of incorrectly charging/discharging lithium batteries. The charge circuit that I plan to build within my device will be microprocessor controlled with fail safes. Unfortunately the space requirement does not allow for a mobile phone to be inside the enclosure.

Reply to
Heywood Jablome

Pull the battery apart. If you don't want to destroy your ask a phone shop if they have any dead ones.

Reply to
Michael C

You're probably better off researching lithium ion chargers - I understand their charging regime is different to NiMH and NiCad, and I'm fairly sure that with the correct circuit you can charge them properly using only the + and - terminals, so you don't really need to know what the other connections are for.

Reply to
Poxy

That would be the phone wouldn't it? :-)

Reply to
Michael C

correct

correct

Reply to
budgie

The 2 center terminals 'should' be a temp sensor for use with a delta time/delta temp charging system. Easy way to tell is if it changes when it's warmed up in the hands or cooled in the fridge.

stanblaz@netspace.net.au
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Stan Blazejewski

I know temperature change is often used for detecting end of charge for NiCads, but is it also used for LiIon?

Reply to
Poxy

"Poxy"

** If a sealed battery is fed with a continuous supply electrical energy AFTER its charging reaction has been completed - what do you expect would happen to it ???

Convert the energy into mass - maybe ???

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You are right - the energy has to go somewhere - obviously in increasing mass... But in my admittedly limited experience with lithium polymer batteries, my charger doesn't use temperature sensing. I'm wondering whether temperature change is customarily used in consumer devices like mobile phones.

In my case, the charger tapers the charge current, which I assume means some kind of constant-voltage charge.

Reply to
Poxy

** Whooosh ...............

BTW

Batteries are CHEMICAL machines - not electronic components..

They are products of the CHEMICAL engineering industry.

Very bloody secretive.

Very bloody weird stuff.

Full of outrageous scams.

See my contributions to EA magazine re: the great DSE Ni-Cd fraud .

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

NO!

Reply to
budgie

"budgie"

** The topic deserves more than one word and there are plenty on the net:

Eg

Reply to
Phil Allison

+

connections

I have looked into charging lithiums. The general practice is to hold a constant current till the battery reaches 4.2V, then taper off the current and hold the voltage at 4.2V till the charge current is under 10% of what it initially started at. Then switch off. (no trickle charge)

It would still be nice tho to find a web page of someone who has already done something like this. I'm sure they have and I'm sure there is a web site that describes it but its a shame that these phones and batteries are so popular that every site I find using google is one that wants to sell me nokia accessories!!!

For the record I'd prefer not to open the battery so I would still like to know for sure what is connected to the other terminals and other specs. including charge current etc.

Reply to
Heywood Jablome