NiMH Battery Care.

Hi,

What's the story with charging the new NiMH batteries?

I bought a wonderfully gadgety NiMH charger that reverts to a trickle-charge once the batteries are full, but I'm not too sure about the necessary state of charge required before the batteries go in.

Can I safely put half charged batteries into the charger to top them up to full capacity, or do I have to purposely flatten them first like those stupid old Ni-Cad batteries I kept wasting good money on by tossing in the bin?

What about leaving NiMH batteries uncharged during extended periods of storage? Will I have to necessarily cycle them back to full charge every

6-months whilst they're just lying around like Ni-Cads, or can I just let them quietly 'leak' to whatever state of charge they so choose until decide I need them next?

Yes, yes, I could have searched and searched, and eventually assembled the necessary facts. That wouldn't have been half the fun, and I won't have had the opportunity to hear the wise thoughts and suggestions from the selection of generous and benevolent experts that I'm hoping to.

Regards, Dhr Tressie :-)

Reply to
Trespasser

They are far easier to use than Nicads.

NiMHs can be fully recharged from any discharge state.

YES, unless your charger is an inadequate el-cheapo design.

Silly question - if you are not going to use them fonce every 6 months then why are you buying rechargable batteries anyway? Buy normal alkaline batteries if you are only going to use them once in a blue moon. They keep their charge for far longer than NiMH or NiCads.

Reply to
fritz

If you would like the cells to retain charge for many months, a handful of manufacturers make a second line of NiMH cells which retain 80% of their charge even after 6 months. Typically these cells are about 10% more expensive, and carry a rating of 10% less mAhr capacity, compared with their ordinary AAA and AA NiMH cells. Varta is one such brand.

-- John Savage (my news address is not valid for email)

Reply to
John Savage

That's handy information.

Thanks, John.

Reply to
Murray R. Van Luyn

That's handy information.

Thanks, John.

*****

I've been using these Sanyo Eneloop batteries for over well a year and happy. They will hold charge for months. Take a look here:

Larry

Reply to
Larry

I found the run of the mill Vartas will retain usable charge for several months between charges for digital camera use,this is the "Power Accu" type. The only problems so far is a couple have leaked out of 24 cells and the cases can develop rust if stored in damp environments.

Reply to
Mark Harriss