NiMH AA's?

Anyone have any pointers to decent price & quality AA NiMHs batts?

Previously I've bought Jaycar's "Powertech" 2000mAH for $4.25 which seem to be quite decent, but Futurlec flog Sanyo 2100mAH for $3.16 and I'm under the impression that Sanyo batts are pretty good. However I notice that the US Futurlec site has Sanyo 2500mAH for US$2.25 - I assume these would be available in Australia somewhere as well?

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Poxy

I personally am happy with the Jaycar Powertech batteries. I have the

2400mAh "AA" size, I get around 600 photos with LCD on my camera (S2is) no flash.

I was a bit worried at first that I would not get the performance out of them but am now quite happy with them.

Des.

Reply to
Desmond Wong

Check out what WES Components is selling these days.....

Reply to
Bob Parker

I didn't notice the 2400 ones on their web site, maybe because they've changed colour. At $5 a pop they seem a bit steep, but if they deliver the goods they might be worth it.

US

Reply to
Poxy

Thanks - I'll have to rifle through the collection of updates - I wish they'd sort out some kind of online system.

the

Reply to
Poxy

I bought 12 Powertech 2.3AH cells. My Lightning Pack 4000N intelligent charger would often shut off prematurely in a 'fault' state when charging them. They powered two Olympus digital cameras pretty well when charged by a cheap PoweBase charger, but Sony digital cameras are very particular about the internal impedance of their power source and would shut off after only a few minutes of use. I eventually replaced them with Energizer 2.5AH cells, which the

4000N charger and the Sony cameras are happy with.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

You, me and about 2,000 others are waiting for them to get their act together. If Rockby Electronics can do it, so can WES!

Reply to
Bob Parker

Sanyo are traditionally regarded as the best rechargeable cells.

Whether that is actually true today is another story.

Reply to
Kym Kim (Noturyulo)

Exactly. That reputation comes from the days of NiCd's.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

I was using Sanyo 2.1AH NiMH cells in two digital cameras, alternating them with cheap 2AH PowerBase ones. I was surprised that although I bought the Sanyos after the PowerBase cells, they lost capacity to the point of being pretty useless while the PowerBase ones were still working OK. Hmmm....

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

I emailed WES and they are selling their 2500mAH AAs in a 2-pack for $5.50 - ie. $2.75 each, which is pretty much the cheapest I've found so far. I'd really like to get one or two to start with, and do some charge/discharge cycles to see what their capacity is like (I've got a fancy charger that tells you how many herbs it puts in or takes out) But I really need the things for a flash that just munches through the alkalines.

Reply to
Poxy

Thanks for the info. NiMH cells are much better suited to very high load currents than alkalines. I've seen icecreams which cost more than each of those cells. You don't have much to lose, so give them a try. :-)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker