Nifty stereo valve amplifier from Jaycar ?

Not !!!!

http://cool386.tripod.com/jaycar/jaycar.html

A bit like their 200wrms monitor speakers, with an 80W bass driver.

geoff

Re: Nifty stereo valve amplifier from Jaycar ?

 This is quite old news now.

 As per that article, Jaycar re-adjusted the advertisements to reflect
that it is indeed a semiconductor amp, not valve.

 That said, I was under the impression that they took things apart to
see what made them 'tick' before onselling.  They must have known.
 Or, if they didn't, they should have checks in place, could get into
real trouble otherwise...

 Either way, I always thought those valves were "fake" for ornamental
value only.  Turns out they're very real, (though probably "expired"),
and the heaters are used for show only.

 That's wrong for a different reason.  A lower power amp is more likely
to clip at high output levels, where the DC overheats the voice coils,
eventually blowing the speakers.  Even though the amp power output is
much lower than the handling power of the speakers.

 Or so it is said.  I could never understand how anyone could run an amp
into clipping and actually stand it for long enough to blow the speakers...

 The other way around (high power amp with lower power speakers) can
last longer though.  I tried a 50wrms amp with a baby 0.25w speaker.  It
actually lasted at near full power for some seconds before blowing.

 Yes, I was bored.

Re: Nifty stereo valve amplifier from Jaycar ?

yes the valves are far to bright, the valves are in the
audio path as preamp, ive addid a 6.3 wined to the
transformer to fix the heaters works well.

the valves are 6DJ8 and 6BQ5 one of the pins
has to be linked to work for the 6BQ5 on pcb.

im going to rip out the solid state and make it
true tube, be around 5watt p/ch.

Re: Nifty stereo valve amplifier from Jaycar ?

There was a radio tuner that had fake valves. they were fairly obvious fakes.
metallic plastic mesh around an orange LED, inside a plastic domed tube.

They looked as much like valves as this :-) does a face.

Site Timeline