New Strong STB - VERY interesting

**I've just ordered some stock of these puppies:

http://www.strong.com.au/SRT%20AN4.html

RRP $149.00.

I reckon it's a winner. The rep is calling today to give me a demo. Put
your hands up if you want one. I'll discuss prices via email.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: New Strong STB - VERY interesting

What is special about this one?
Do you have a picture of the AV cable?
As there was none on that site?

Our current $2 shop ones doesn't record, so it is time to step up a bit.

I find their online store very unhelpful as you don't get to see a back
side shot of all their other boxes to work out the $ damage in connector
cables.

Re: New Strong STB - VERY interesting

**I have not seen a device available that does what the Strong box does
at the price.

**What does an AV cable have to do with anything?

**Who gives a crap? Buy one from DSE.

**Try clicking on the link. Maybe reading the description could be
helpful in answering your questions.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: New Strong STB - VERY interesting

Well, it is useless without it. I need to make sure it will connect to
my glass monster.

Finally found an arse image that shows the kind it might be.

BTDT and it didn't.

Shrug, won't be on my summer buying list.

Re: New Strong STB - VERY interesting

**I just had a demo of the unit. VERY impressive. Nice menuing. Easy to
use. It is supplied with a suitable AV lead, for connection to TV sets
that use composite video. The plug is an unsual, but easily available
ring, ring, tip, sleeve 3.5 mm one. HDMI cables are not supplied, but
readily available.

**You can purchase the plugs from WES. Less than 2 Bucks.

**Fairy nuff. I just played with it and I like it. A lot. Whack a
keyboard and mouse on it and the thing does everything most people could
ever want. It's tiny too.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: New Strong STB - VERY interesting
could

Which USB expanasion are you using?

Re: New Strong STB - VERY interesting

**I only had a brief play with the thing today. I ordered my stock and
expect it soon (next week?). I'll have a chance to check out the USB
capabilities then. For today, I just stuck a Bluetooth? adapter into the
USB port and used a the Bluetooth? mouse and keyboard. MUCH better than
grappling with the remote control. When I connect mine to a TV, I'll be
using exactly the same system. I enabled my wireless LAN and connected
the box to that. I was able to play movies, catch-up TV and You Tube
stuff immediately. The interface is far and away the best I've used on a
Strong device. A legacy of the Android operating system I guess. For 149
Bucks (RRP) it a bloody rip-snorter.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: New Strong STB - VERY interesting
How many people use set top boxes? You can buy a flat screen digital TV
for not much more than that. It is council collection around here on
Monday and I'd reckon that there must be at least 10 old CRT TVs per
street sitting on the nature strips. That includes the one on our nature
strip, it was down in my office, I sold its STB for $15 in a garage sale
the other week, that was as much as I could get for it.

Re: New Strong STB - VERY interesting

I still do because we have a glass monster.

what is the quality like? Most of the stuff i see when we cruise past
the TVs in the electronic store has awful qualty picture.

They are not much more than that at Sams/BiLo places(Coles cheap
stores), but they don't do the internet or record stuff on the USB device.

Re: New Strong STB - VERY interesting

**Dunno. I have several PVRs and one STB that I use with a CRT set.
Perhaps others do likewise.

  You can buy a flat screen digital TV

**149 Bucks for a HD STB, web browser, PVR (when used with external
drives), catch-up TV device and the ability to play back a range of
files on a standard TV. I doubt it. Sure, many late model TVs have some
of these features, but not everyone owns the latest model TV sets.

  It is council collection around here on

**Same here.

  That includes the one on our nature

**Probably not a bad idea to read the description in the link I
provided. It is considerably more than an STB.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: New Strong STB - VERY interesting
finger to keyboard and composed:

I have an Aldi HD STB (AU$30) and an equivalent unit from JB HiFi
(AU$40). I use them exclusively as PVRs for recording and playing back
TV programmes (mostly sport - my dog likes to watch ball games). The
recordings are also playable on my PC.

All my TVs are LCDs.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: New Strong STB - VERY interesting
On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 08:22:40 +1100, Trevor Wilson

Trevor

Will it play non-flash embedded videos in the browser?  If so then it
should be a winner.

My Sony TV has a browser but will not play flash or any other type of
embedded videos.  Likewise my WD TV Streaming Media Player has a basic
browser but will not play videos (good for playing lots of other files
though not through the browser ).

Would be interested to know if you can access the various catch up
services (ABC, SBS,Plus7, etc) and play them in the browser.

Thanks for any comments.
Alan

--
Sell your surplus electronic components at http://ozcomponents.com
Search or browse for that IC, capacitor,