New Microwave Oven Sharp or LG? - Page 2

Re: New Microwave Oven Sharp or LG?

Electronic applicances from the old days tend to last a long time,
maybe because things aren't that complicated back then, also possibly
they used quality components and had stricter manufacturing/QC
processes. I think the manufacturing philosophy has transformed from
quality and reliability to innovation and cost effectiveness over the
years.

I have a 20 years old NEC TV and it's still working perfectly. I doubt
that any recent models can last this long. It's a pity that they will
switch off the analogue transmission by 2008 and the TV will retire
when it happens (no AV input for set-top-box).

Anyway, I picked up the Sharp R350J this afternoon. Panasonic is good
but it costs slightly more than what I'm willing to pay, I think the
extra cost is to cover the inverter technology. The LG came very close,
but I noticed that the turntable support (roller stay/rotating ring or
whatever it's called) is made of cheap recycle-like material with very
rough edges. It makes me wonder if they use such material for visible
part, then what's inside could be a lot worse.

I have concluded that the round cavity found in LG is a gimmick, it
doesn't really do anything. Yes, it makes more efficient use of the
interior, but then the oven itself is still squarish and it occupies
the same amount of space like any other microwave. Also I don't think a
cylindrical interior improves the heating efficiency because microwave
cooks food from the inside out not the other way around like
conventional ovens. If round cavity is so good then wouldn't all new
models have it?

Alrighty, thanks for your feedback.

Re: New Microwave Oven Sharp or LG?

Yes, and they often cost up to 10 times the price in relative
dollars/income.

Yep, the cost is more effective for replacing more often.

I wonder just how many hours you worked to buy it originally? Do they
currently make any the same size, that cost as much in "real terms" (after
allowing for inflation)?
(CRT type of course)

Why would you not prefer to buy a similar set, with newer features, possibly
twice as often, but for less than half the price?
The saving on initial outlay is another bonus, especially if you save
interest on any loan or mortgage in the process!

However you could still use a STB and RF converter if you really want to.
You probably have a VCR that will do the conversion for you already.

Since you don't appear to have tried it, I cant see how you determined that?

A common misconception, so easily demonstrated to be false, that I cannot
understand how it persists after all these years!

Not if people think like you.
(disclaimer, I haven't tried one so have no idea if it really reduces
hotspots, but it might)

MrT.

Re: New Microwave Oven Sharp or LG?

I didn't thought of using a VCR-STB combo, currently the NEC is a
standalone unit next to my bed and the only time I turn it on is when I
feel like watching carpenter James cutting holes on the wall using
Mircle Blades. Btw Chef Tony is also quite entertaining. However, they
are just not entertaining enough to justify for a dedicated STB.

I tried googling but there's virtually nothing on round cavity
microwave ovens. Even LG's own website says very little about the
advantage of having a round cavity, easy cleaning is about the only
selling point. If there's any thermal advantage, wouldn't they have
highlighted it using large font and possibly accompanied by a Flash
animation showing how efficiently it works?

Maybe there's untold benefits from a cylindrical interior, or maybe
patent rights prevent others to follow suit. I guess average consumers
would never know until there's some kind official press release.
Somehow I don't have much faith in LG's innovations, like the
direct-drive thing, Fisher & Paykel has it all along but LG claims they
are the first, if I'm not wrong Whirlpool also makes direct-drive
washers.

Now LG has the first plasma with build-in HD tuner, I wonder what's
stopping other manufacturers to integrate a damn digital tuner for a TV
that they sell for thousands of dollars.

Re: New Microwave Oven Sharp or LG?

So what?  That's not bad for an electrical appliance!

I take it that you agree that you were also satisfied with purchasing a Sharp MW?

Re: New Microwave Oven Sharp or LG?

Agreed. No complaint.
In real dollar terms though, I paid about five or six times what they are
worth now :-(
I bet the new units last at least 3 years or more, on average right?
TCO is then similar or lower, plus possible interest savings on lower
initial outlay.

ie. Things are better now, as with most electronic equipment.

Sharp MW?

Is it? I'll take your word for it, since I haven't had to open it yet.

MrT.

Re: New Microwave Oven Sharp or LG?

http://au.lge.com/md/product/prodcategorylist.do?actType=detail&currPage=1&categoryId02%00040602&parentCategoryId02%00000406&categoryLevel=4&productId11%00000521

I bought a Sharp about 18 months ago. Last week the LCD display
disappeared - unit still working though. But I'm a bit pissed off. First
time something has failed on me in a long time. I will get in contact soon
and see if they will still honour the (out of date) warranty.

Cheers.

Re: New Microwave Oven Sharp or LG?

What a bummer, I visited my aunt yesterday and saw her Sharp's LCD is
playing up, lines of dots mssing in the middle. Hers is the same series
as the one I bought except that it's an older revision. The LCD module
looks pretty much the same though. My mom has an older Sharp with VFD
display and still works fine. Maybe it is a wide spread problem with
the dot-matrix LCD module or maybe just bad luck.

Please post back what Sharp has to say, it's too late for me but at
least it may help other potential buyers.

http://au.lge.com/md/product/prodcategorylist.do?actType=detail&currPage=1&categoryId02%00040602&parentCategoryId02%00000406&categoryLevel=4&productId11%00000521

Re: New Microwave Oven Sharp or LG?

http://au.lge.com/md/product/prodcategorylist.do?actType=detail&currPage=1&categoryId02%00040602&parentCategoryId02%00000406&categoryLevel=4&productId11%00000521

It is for some cooking, it senses when its time to stop rather than
doing it entirely on time, and having to adjust the time after weighing.

In theory it is, in practice it probably doesnt mattter much.

Someone has just reported a sharp dying outside 1 year and inside 2.

I doubt anyone really knows.

The other important things are a set of 10 digits for the timer, not
the rather silly system of separate buttons for each digit in the time.
And some food like pies is better with a convection microwave.

Site Timeline