New Jaycar/Electus desolder station - opinions?

My Hakko desolder station is past it and I'm looking for a replacement. I
notice Jaycar has a new model in the latest cattle-dog. P# TS-1386. Has
anyone used this guy? It seems well priced and, assuming spare parts will be
available, could be a good buy. At Electus pricing, it will be far less
expensive than fixing my Hakko.

Trevor Wilson

Re: New Jaycar/Electus desolder station - opinions?

"Trevor Wilson"

** No such number on either site.

......  Phil

Re: New Jaycar/Electus desolder station - opinions?

**According to the cattle-dog (printed) it is a TS-1386.

It is, indeed, not on their site. I'll chase them today. The cattle-dog is
free with this month's Silicon Chip, FWIW.

Trevor Wilson

Re: New Jaycar/Electus desolder station - opinions?
On Mar 31, 8:07 am, "Trevor Wilson"

Looks like a complete no-namer (literally).
Looks like they don't even have spares to buy now, let alone the
future.
If you can buy a stock of spares now, then go for it, otherwise I'd
avoid it.

Dave.

Re: New Jaycar/Electus desolder station - opinions?
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:07:49 +1100, "Trevor Wilson"

:My Hakko desolder station is past it and I'm looking for a replacement. I
:notice Jaycar has a new model in the latest cattle-dog. P# TS-1386. Has
:anyone used this guy? It seems well priced and, assuming spare parts will be
:available, could be a good buy. At Electus pricing, it will be far less
:expensive than fixing my Hakko.
:
:Trevor Wilson
:

Don't know where they got that number.

The complete Hakko lineup of desoldering tools here
http://www.hakko.com/english/products/category_02.html

Re: New Jaycar/Electus desolder station - opinions?
herehttp://www.hakko.com/english/products/category_02.html

It's not a Hakko iron Trevor is looking at, it's a new Jaycar no-name
cheapie. It's in the new 2008 catalog but not online yet.

Dave.

Re: New Jaycar/Electus desolder station - opinions?

"David L. Jones"

 ** Now ya wankers tell us  ....

......   Phil

Re: New Jaycar/Electus desolder station - opinions?

Ya haven't got the latest catalog yet Phil?
Farnell and RS are both out now too.

I notice your "profile" on Google Groups is no longer banned. Are you
off on good behavior or something Phil?

Dave.

Re: New Jaycar/Electus desolder station - opinions?

"Ross Herbert"
 "Trevor Wilson"

 **  ROTFLMAO  !!!

Ross is completely  OFF  with the FAIRIES  !!

.....    Phil

Re: New Jaycar/Electus desolder station - opinions?

:
:"Ross Herbert"
: "Trevor Wilson"
:>
:> :My Hakko desolder station is past it and I'm looking for a replacement. I
:> :notice Jaycar has a new model in the latest cattle-dog. P# TS-1386. Has
:> :anyone used this guy? It seems well priced and, assuming spare parts will
:> be
:> :available, could be a good buy. At Electus pricing, it will be far less
:> :expensive than fixing my Hakko.
:> :
:>
:> Don't know where they got that number.
:>
:> The complete Hakko lineup of desoldering tools here
:> http://www.hakko.com/english/products/category_02.html
:
:
: **  ROTFLMAO  !!!
:
:Ross is completely  OFF  with the FAIRIES  !!
:
:

Not quite sure what you are getting at Phil. If you are saying that the Hakko
parent website link does not represent the "complete" lineup of desolder/rework
products then take it up with them. Perhaps the only thing I should have
included was the word "current". We all know that the older superseded desolder
stations are not on the list bcause they aren't made any more. The OP was
looking to buy a "new" station and gave a part number which I thought (and
apparently yourself as well), referred to a Hakko item.

Re: New Jaycar/Electus desolder station - opinions?

"Ross Herbert"
 "Phil Allison"

 :>

**  Errr  -   you failed to read TW's heading !!

   Its called  " context "   -   Ross.

   A foreign concept to you.

   LOL

......  Phil

Re: New Jaycar/Electus desolder station - opinions?

:
:"Ross Herbert"
: "Phil Allison"
:
: :>
:> :> :My Hakko desolder station is past it and I'm looking for a
:> replacement. I
:> :> :notice Jaycar has a new model in the latest cattle-dog. P# TS-1386.
:> Has
:> :> :anyone used this guy? It seems well priced and, assuming spare parts
:> will
:> :> be
:> :> :available, could be a good buy. At Electus pricing, it will be far
:> less
:> :> :expensive than fixing my Hakko.
:> :> :
:> :>
[...]

Point taken!

Re: New Jaycar/Electus desolder station - opinions?

"Trevor Wilson"

 ** OK -   bought a copy of April's Chip to get the Jaycar 2008 cattledog
( woof ).

Chock full of fascinating new lines  -  virtually none of which are on the
web sites nor in the stores,  I bet.

The  "unregulated"  SMPS plug packs ( with universal input voltage range )
have me * really*  intrigued !!

BTW:

The TS-1386 vacuum desoldering gun ( with large base station and dual LCD
temp readout ) looks a real winner and a absolute bargain at $199.

For occasional use, I doubt you could lose on it.

......   Phil

Re: New Jaycar/Electus desolder station - opinions?

FWIW if you go to the Jaycar site, the search seems to work better if
you don't put the hyphen in - eg: TS1386

IIRC it's due on 15/5/08.

Re: New Jaycar/Electus desolder station - opinions?

Trevor, what model Hakko did you have?  I recently tried to get parts
for my Hakko Ace 483.  First the vacuum pump was not working, and the
valve plate is no longer available.  I managed to find some silicone
rubber so made my own.  Now the vacuum pump is working like new,
except that after shortly afterwards, the heat went off.  It seems
that my 20 year old heating element has a wire that has come adrift,
so now I have a working pump but no working gun.

I am looking at whether I can retrofit a new desoldering gun to my
Hakko 483 as a possible workaround to buying another "expensive"
Hakko.  The Hakko 808 desoldering gun has an inbuilt pump which could
be an alternative but it is also not cheap.

-John

Site Timeline