New computer scam ?

Interesting gambit:

Get rung up by a voice with a thick accent ( you can guess the origin )
claiming that my computer is generating errors and reporting them to
M$soft.  Offers to send a technician to help fix the errors and restore
computer to "full working order".  Cannot give details about which
computer is generating the errors.  Cannot send a transcript of the
error log to me - does not know my email address.  But has my name,
street address and phone number - which anyone can get by looking in the
phone book.  Assumes my computer is running Windoze, but does not know
which version.  Suggests I run the error log report using eventwvr,
which does show a few errors and warnings, but then I know about those,
and M$soft specifically says that errors from this log are never sent to
  M$soft.

A good way of getting a bit of work and money ?

An even better way of getting entry to a house with a view to casing the
joint ?

Maybe I'm just too suspicious.

Re: New computer scam ?

Its a very common scam.
The aim is to convince you to sign up to a maintenence deal involving
you handing over your CC details to the "maintenence " company.

Re: New computer scam ?

Thanks.
Thats what I thought.

Re: New computer scam ?

not at all, most of this stuff is scams these days.

first thing he should know is your IP address, as this is the only
method of ID anyway.

http://www.whatismyip.com /

if he doesn't have this, then you aren't reporting errors to him.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: New computer scam ?

Nope, just another scam.

Re: New computer scam ?

Have had that several times in recent years.

I just tell them that its impossible - as I don't have a computer

If you have to tell them you have one - tell that you are using Linux
- and that it cant be reporting "windows errors" to "microsoft"

I know a mate who often tells spam callers flogging phone plans that
he "doesnt have a telephone" :).  This really throws them !

Re: New computer scam ?

It is unfair to judge an Irishman as 'thick' just on the strength of his
accent !

geoff

Re: New computer scam ?

Probably not the same "scam", but interesting just the same

http://www.news.com.au/business/breaking-news/charges-over-121m-software-sc =
am/story-e6frfkur-1225872326218

Re: New computer scam ?

http://www.news.com.au/business/breaking-news/charges-over-121m-software-scam/story-e6frfkur-1225872326218

Yes, sounds like a variation on the same idea.

IMHO many so-called registry cleaners are not much more than this.