Netgear router and Bigpond cable problem

Hi, all

Hope someone can give me an advise.

I installed Netgear RP614 router for someone. They use Bigpond cable and
need to connect two PCs. Done it about hundred times before, but this one is
giving me grey hair.

Installed and worked OK ... for about 5 minutes. No Internet conenction
then. Reset modem and router and get it back for 5 minutes or so. Found both
PCs to be badly infected. Cleaned both.

Put eveything back together -- all is fine.  Few hours later get a phone
call. This time something has happened to the router itself. It keeps
resetting itself and will not give IP to the PCs. I could not not even get
to the admin interface reliably.

Well, got a enw router and all looked perfect. Few hours later another phone
call. Will go and see tonight what has happened.

Same problem on both machines. Cabling seem in order. Internet works when
modem is connected directly.

Any ideas what can go so badly wrong?  I do not have much hair left.

Thanks,
Rudolf

Re: Netgear router and Bigpond cable problem

I had a similar problem a while ago. One computer had been connected
to the modem using the USB connection and then I interposed a Netgear
router so I could add another computer. If I remember correctly
everything worked on the second computer if the first computer was not
connected. And, yes, I had disabled the Bigpond client on the first
computer. A Google Groups search located someone who had suffered a
similar problem but there was no follow up solution so I emailed her
to ask what she had done.

You won't like the answer. The problem went away for her after she
reinstalled XP so I tried it and it worked for me too! A long winded
way of saying I have no idea what the problem is but there may be a
very inconvenient "solution".

Re: Netgear router and Bigpond cable problem

Could be both claiming the same ip of trying to be a domain controller
dependant on the version.

Re: Netgear router and Bigpond cable problem

I don't understand that sentence. In theory only the router is
connected to Bigpond so there is no "both". The router includes the
Bigpond cable client. The router is providing "both" local network
addresses but that was not the problem since it worked correctly after
the XP reinstall.  I did try several other connections including using
the cable client on the "first" computer and turning it off in the
router but none of them fixed the problem or gave me a clue as to what
the problem might be.

Re: Netgear router and Bigpond cable problem

is
both
phone

I haven't used this particular model, but I've had problems with several Netgear
products. These ranged from bad power supplies (overheating and releasing smoke)
to a unit that would reset itself after a certain amount of traffic had gone
through it (smelt like an overflow problem somewhere).

Are you able to get to the router admin page with nothing else connected?
Are you able to access the BigPond cable/Internet from the router diagnostics?
Is the router also acting as a DHCP server?
Does the unit have the current firmware in it?

Re: Netgear router and Bigpond cable problem

I have replaced the router witha  known working one and latest firmware.

Anyway, I hope I solved the problem -- got rid of f@#$ Norton Security on
both machines.  Was holding up whole day yesterday. Will wait few days
before claoming to be a complete fix, though.
Seems that i got the unlucky combination with faulty router, spyware/viruses
and Norton all adding to the problem.
I keep my fingers crossed.

Rudolf

Site Timeline