Need external AC adapter: 5V 1.6A?

G'day,

I bought an MP3 player in the US, but tonight I somehow managed to short
the external AC adapter. This adapter has the has the following specs:

   Input 100-240V Output 5V 1.6A

Can I get an external AC adapter in Australia with the same specs?

-- Geoff

Re: Need external AC adapter: 5V 1.6A?

"El Bastardo"

**  Try Jaycar.

 Their cat:  MP -3140   is close enough.

.........   Phil

Re: Need external AC adapter: 5V 1.6A?

G'day,

I bought the above adapter, and confirmed with the sales dude that it
should be a drop-in replacement for my existing adapter, which I'd
brought along to double check the voltage (5V) , current (1.6A) and
polarity (+ tip).

I used it to fully recharge my device (the green LED was on, indicating
this). But once I'd drawn down some of the battery, the device would no
longer draw any power from the adapter. The "recharging" LED no longer
displays, and when powered on with the adapter plugged in, the device's
screen indicates that the internal battery is being used rather than the
external charger.

Later at work I found another adapter (5V, 2.5A) and tried that, and
this seemed to work: the green LED was displayed, indicating that the
unit was recharging. However, once the device was fully charged, and I'd
drawn down some the battery, I could not recharge it with either of the
adapters.

I got a multimeter and tested both adapters, but could not get areading
on either. I was told that since the adapters are switching, no load was
being presented, and hence no reading on the multimeter. I don't know
enough about electronics to say if this is correct.

I dunno what's going on here. Any thoughts?

-- Geoff

Re: Need external AC adapter: 5V 1.6A?

"El Bastardo"

  **   Very mysterious.

Switching adaptors that I have seen operate with no load, a 12 volt one I
just checked produced full voltage with only 80 volts AC input.

Loos like your unit is damaging the adaptors somehow -  three in a row now.

...........   Phil

Phil Allison wrote:
  > Loos like your unit is damaging the adaptors somehow -  three in a
row now.

Seems that way. I'll try again to verify the adapters are working.

-- Geoff

Re: Need external AC adapter: 5V 1.6A?

Did the MP3 player ever recharge okay with the original adapter?

How the hell did you "short" out the original adapter?
Most good designs should have some current limiting circuitry built in to
prevent overloading the device and damaging it.  Although it may be a cheap
and nasty, in which case there is always a good possibility no such feature
has been incorporated in the adapter.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: Need external AC adapter: 5V 1.6A?

G'day,

Yes -- for around a month. I should point out that it was a US adapter
with an Aussie-to-US plug on it.

Dunno. I had it plugged in to the device (as I was loading files onto
it), and noticed (after about two hours of use) that the green LED was
not on. There was a strange odour in the room for a good while before
that, that I didn't pay any heed to. Taking the adapter apart, I noticed
that one part of it was burnt out (and hence causing the aforementioned
odour). A mate at work far more knowledgeable than me called the burnt
out part a "reverse current" thingamajig (or something like that).

-- Geoff

Re: Need external AC adapter: 5V 1.6A?

So was the US-Aussie converter just a plug changer, or did you actually
convert 240V down to 110V? Sounds like you burnt out the charger, not
shorted it. Whether you damaged the device is moot.

Ken

Re: Need external AC adapter: 5V 1.6A?

"Ken Taylor"

  **  Better go back and read the OP's first post.

Re: Need external AC adapter: 5V 1.6A?

G'day,

The charger can accept 110V - 240V, so a simple US-Aussie converter was
all that was required.

Apparently the burnt out bit was a zener diode, according to the local
techie I showed the unit it to. Maybe there was a spike.

-- Geoff

Site Timeline