Need circuit to produce 3 modes of audible confirmation

I need to make a circuit that will produce either one, two or three short
consecutive beeps depending on the input signal it recieves.
For example:

  Input 1  = One beep  (could mean 'ON').
  Input 2  = Two beeps  (could mean 'OFF').
  Input 3  = Three beeps  (could mean 'ERROR')..

This is just an example. The 3rd one is not critical, but would be nice.

I want to be able to add it to practically any circuit which will provide
audible confirmation of the circuit's current operation.  I was thinking of
using a PIC to do this, but is last resort (as I know absolutely nothing
about them).

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks.

Re: Need circuit to produce 3 modes of audible confirmation

If you know nothing about PICSs use an AVR instead their chips are a little
more flexible one good feature is 2.7v-6v operation - handy for battery
powered devices:) a hardware and software to program them is about the same
price, (prebuilt/kit/diy)

some questions:

 1 are the beeps to repeat or are they edge triggered?

 2 what if imput 1 activates after input 3 had activated
   and sounded 2 beeps already?

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Need circuit to produce 3 modes of audible confirmation

No, i know nothing about PIC's or AVR's, but sound interesting!  I guess you
could do almost anything with those from 1 chip.

well I was thinking once the required beeps have occured, then it should
stop completely until the input signal is removed - the only way to make it
sound again is to reapply the signal.

arrgghh, good point.  you mean like the signal slightly overlapping?  not
sure.  I will somehow make it so that the "new" input signal is ignored
until the previous beeping cycle has finished... like add a delay circuit.

Re: Need circuit to produce 3 modes of audible confirmation

of
Use a PIC. The learning curve will be worth it, and as you want to add it to
'practically any circuit' you will later appreciate the flexibility.

Cheers.

Ken

Re: Need circuit to produce 3 modes of audible confirmation

I must say I'm a PIC fan. Atmel (AVR's) have a bad habit of increasing prices
and poor
supply. Microchip are very consistent and well sourced..

At the end of the day just about any small FLASH micro would suit this task

-Andrew M

Re: Need circuit to produce 3 modes of audible confirmation

Thanks Andrew, I'll keep that in mind =).

Jase.

Re: Need circuit to produce 3 modes of audible confirmation

Thanks, I'll definately consider it.

Jase.

Re: Need circuit to produce 3 modes of audible confirmation
Tried Picaxe?
Cheap, and so easy even I can program them.

Jordan

Re: Need circuit to produce 3 modes of audible confirmation

You could have three "one shots" use a 555 timer but the 555 is limited by
how you could use it at a "one shot"
so  "one shots 1" goes for one second
so  "one shots 2" goes for two seconds
so  "one shots 3" goes for three seconds
then you AND those outputs with a 1/2 second oscillator going to a *pizo*
buzzer or use the outputs to turn on a oscillator
will that is the rough idea, will need fine tuning and there is mostly one
more problem that needs to be ironed out.

Of course it would be good to learn about a PIC then if you wanted say
different frequency beeps just a case of changing the program.

I need to make a circuit that will produce either one, two or three short
consecutive beeps depending on the input signal it recieves.
For example:

  Input 1  = One beep  (could mean 'ON').
  Input 2  = Two beeps  (could mean 'OFF').
  Input 3  = Three beeps  (could mean 'ERROR')..

This is just an example. The 3rd one is not critical, but would be nice.

I want to be able to add it to practically any circuit which will provide
audible confirmation of the circuit's current operation.  I was thinking of
using a PIC to do this, but is last resort (as I know absolutely nothing
about them).

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks.

Site Timeline