NEC FS6390 TV question

Hi Gents,

I have a NEC FS6390 TV ( about 10 years old ) which has died in a big way. There is an IC , a STRS6708 , a 9 pin device on a big heatsink which is blown to bits. Nothing else looks damaged , but I assume there are other blown components around it.

Can anyone suggest if it's worth getting repaired and around how much it would be ?

Cheers Andrew

Reply to
AB

"AB"

** Well past its normal use by date.
** Yep - no.

K-mart are now selling Magnavox brand 68cm, AV stereo TVs for $198 with 2 year full warranty.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks. Yeh I suppose I've had a good run out of it. Well for $198 for a newie its not worth repairing huh.....

Reply to
AB

If you would like to save some money and prevent a tv turning into landfill, I believe it is worth repairing.

I have just repaired a FS6390 for a customer. It only needed a few capacitors, one transistor and a zener.

The IC exploding is not unusual. As well as the chip, I could tell you which capacitors, resistors, zener and transistor may need replacing too.

I think all the faults in the FS6390 I have seen have been in the power supply and are quite a routine repair.

Russell.

AB wrote:

Reply to
rg26ce1991