NEC FS6390 TV question

Hi Gents,

I have a NEC FS6390 TV ( about 10 years old ) which has died in a big way.
There is an IC , a STRS6708 , a 9 pin device on a big heatsink which is
blown to bits. Nothing else looks damaged , but I assume there are other
blown components around it.

Can anyone suggest if it's worth getting repaired and around how much it
would be ?

Cheers
Andrew

Re: NEC FS6390 TV question

"AB"

 **  Well past its normal use by date.

**  Yep  -  no.

K-mart are now selling Magnavox brand 68cm, AV stereo TVs for $198 with 2
year full warranty.

.......    Phil

Re: NEC FS6390 TV question

Thanks.
Yeh I suppose I've had a good run out of it.
Well for $198 for a newie its not worth repairing huh.....

Re: NEC FS6390 TV question

If you would like to save some money and prevent a tv turning into
landfill,
I believe it is worth repairing.

I have just repaired a FS6390 for a customer.
It only needed a few capacitors, one transistor and a zener.

The IC exploding is not unusual. As well as the chip, I could tell you
which capacitors,
resistors, zener and transistor may need replacing too.

I think all the faults in the FS6390 I have seen have been in the power
supply and are
quite a routine repair.

Russell.