NBN question they haven't answered (that I can see) - plus a few others

It's my understanding that if you accept installation of the NBN they will install a number of cores (2 I presume) into your home from a street located FOBOT/ aggregation point. It's my understanding they also remove the copper pair/s from the POTS as part of the install.

Questions: I wrote to the NBN mob asking about power outage effects in NBN - I'm used to still being able to use my cabled phone (not wireless handset) over POTS due to the power coming from the exchange... I can't see how that's possible in a "fibre only solution" - Issues I have is to do with communications during power outages (cyclones, etc) - especially in relation to emergency services. I've been in cyclone areas where 3-5 days without power is normal - but at least the phones worked. NBN mob didn't reply back...

Other questions: If I renew my ADSL contract with xxxx and sometime during the contract term NBN bangs on my door offering an install, what would be the status of the contract for the copper service? Commercially I suspect there would be contract terms and exit penalties, however if that is the case, then people are trapped between contracts to tie them to the copper system, and people reluctant to commit to those penalties

- you either have ISPs living month-by-month until NBN rolls through, or you have people paying more(penalties) on the copper for longer - either way someone loses.

Is there a commitment to remove the copper? if so, how are those who refuse (opt out) of NBN going to be serviced?

I'm not trying to start a political discussion over the merits/ liabilities/ efficiencies of NBN under this, or any other guise, but I do want to understand how it impacts on normal people, and on those who don't NEED data transfer rates above ADSL or POTS.

Anyone got real life experience on those questions and happy to discuss here?

Des

Reply to
Des Bromilow

Bttery backup in the unit on your end point.

Reply to
terryc

OK - that's a help - thanks.. Any idea on expected "run time" of the battery? Is it backing up the switch, or just a VoIP Phone?

thanks, Des

Reply to
Des Bromilow

No idea. The switch only. The phone would be your problem. The real problem is that most people will never change it and suddenly find out it doesn't work during the next power outage when they need it.

Reply to
terryc

Personally I wont be suppyling power to some unknown clunker kludge ,naked dsl is fine here atm

--
Reply to
atec77

:On 24/05/2011 1:49 PM, terryc wrote: :> Des Bromilow wrote: :>> On 22/05/2011 11:47 PM, terryc wrote: :>>> Des Bromilow wrote: :>>>

:>>>> I wrote to the NBN mob asking about power outage effects in NBN :>>>

:>>> Bttery backup in the unit on your end point. :>> OK - that's a help - thanks.. Any idea on expected "run time" of the :>> battery? :>> Is it backing up the switch, or just a VoIP Phone? :>

:> No idea. The switch only. The phone would be your problem. :> The real problem is that most people will never change it and suddenly :> find out it doesn't work during the next power outage when they need it. :>

:Personally I wont be suppyling power to some unknown clunker kludge :,naked dsl is fine here atm

Once NBN is installed you won't have the option of keeping your copper pair whether you take it up or not. All Telstra exchanges will be de-commissioned and pulled out after the completion of NBN. If you plan to be deceased by then it won't matter....

Reply to
Ross Herbert

:On 22/05/2011 11:47 PM, terryc wrote: :> Des Bromilow wrote: :>

:>> I wrote to the NBN mob asking about power outage effects in NBN :>

:> Bttery backup in the unit on your end point. :OK - that's a help - thanks.. Any idea on expected "run time" of the :battery? :Is it backing up the switch, or just a VoIP Phone? : :thanks, :Des

The Optical Network Terminal (ONT)is powered from the mains supply and you pay for the power to run it. The back-up battery is (I think) now provided by NBNCo as part of the installation. When the NBN was being installed in a customer premises during the initial stages, it was intended that the customer had to provide his own battery if he wanted the home phone to remain operational during power outages.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

On Sun, 22 May 2011 20:25:20 +0800, Des Bromilow wrote:

[...]

Read the guide

Ross Herbert