NBN critics misunderstand wireless:

1 Hour ago

But optical fibre will outpace wireless for the foreseeable future.

The chief executive officer of Australia?s oldest modem maker has added his voice to those backing fibre for the National Broadband Network, saying there was room for it and wireless to coexist.

But the public misunderstood wireless services, said NetComm chief David Stewart.

?Fixed wireless broadband, a lot of people don?t understand what that means as far as the NBN goes,? Stewart told a Gold Coast conference today.

?The concept that the NBN has here is that it?s going to be a fixed wireless technology that will deliver a guaranteed bandwidth to a fixed location and a base station will serve a handful of people [seven percent of Australians].

?The advantage is those people will have a permanent connection at a constant speed.

?It?s quite unlike mobile wireless broadband we all know today with 3G.?

Full Story:

Cheers Don...

================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

You must live in Darwin, I have cooked about 5 Linksys modems up there. :-)

Cheers Don...

=====================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Hmmm. Netcom, they make those modems that slowly cook themselves to death.

I should know, coz I bought one.

I hope they know more about the NBN than they do about making a decent modem.

Reply to
Dr Who

Forever, actually, because its not a shared bandwidth system.

Thats a lie.

Stewart.

far as the NBN goes,? Stewart told a

speed.

Rod Speed

Are you saying that fibre has infinite bandwith or every Australian will have his/her own fibre not shared with the rest of the street/suburb/country.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Tom wrote

Nope.

the street/suburb/country.

Nope, that its not shared anything like what wireless is and has a lot more bandwidth to start with too.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Wireless is subject to contention.

Reply to