NBN critics misunderstand wireless:

1 Hour ago

But optical fibre will outpace wireless for the foreseeable future.

The chief executive officer of Australia’s oldest modem maker has added his
voice to those backing fibre for the
National Broadband Network, saying there was room for it and wireless to coexist.

But the public misunderstood wireless services, said NetComm chief David Stewart.

“Fixed wireless broadband, a lot of people don’t understand what that means as
far as the NBN goes,” Stewart told a Gold
Coast conference today.

“The concept that the NBN has here is that it’s going to be a fixed wireless
technology that will deliver a guaranteed
bandwidth to a fixed location and a base station will serve a handful of people
[seven percent of Australians].

“The advantage is those people will have a permanent connection at a constant
speed.

“It’s quite unlike mobile wireless broadband we all know today with 3G.”

Full Story:
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/249510,nbn-critics-misunderstand-wireless-netcomm.aspx

Cheers Don...

================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: NBN critics misunderstand wireless:

Hmmm.  Netcom, they make those modems that slowly cook themselves to
death.

I should know, coz I bought one.

I hope they know more about the NBN than they do about making a decent
modem.

--

Re: NBN critics misunderstand wireless:

You must live in Darwin, I have cooked about 5 Linksys modems up there. :-)

Cheers Don...

=====================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: NBN critics misunderstand wireless:

Forever, actually, because its not a shared bandwidth system.

Thats a lie.

Stewart.

far as the NBN goes,” Stewart told a

speed.

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/249510,nbn-critics-misunderstand-wireless-netcomm.aspx

Re: NBN critics misunderstand wireless:

Are you saying that fibre has infinite bandwith or every Australian will
have his/her own fibre not shared with the rest of the
street/suburb/country.

Tom

Re: NBN critics misunderstand wireless:

Nope.

the street/suburb/country.

Nope, that its not shared anything like what wireless is and has a lot more
bandwidth to start with too.

Re: NBN critics misunderstand wireless:

Wireless is subject to contention.

Site Timeline