Navman X300 GPS sports device

HI all

Just wondering if anyone had done any experimenting with these and if it's possible to extract the NMEA data from them?

A link to the item on the DSE website:

Thanks James

Reply to
James

website:

Apparently it does not support any serial output, that's one reason why it's cheap. Could possibly be hacked maybe, but it wouldn't be worth your effort, just get a Foretrex, Forerunner, or almost any other GPS receiver on the market that has a serial output. What are you going to use it for?

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

website:

I don't have a specific project in mind but was interested in the viability of "hacking" it. It's easily available, has a built in antenna, a neat little enclosure, a display, and is no more expensive than an OEM module in small quantities. It would be interesting to find out what module it uses or if it is a proprietry unit specific to that model (which of course probably wouldn't use NMEA sentences). The lack of serial interface available to the end user is quite likely just a marketing thing though. If it had one they would be doing themselves out of sales of the higher spec'd (priced) models.

James

Reply to
James

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@u10g2000prn.googlegroups.com...

website:

It's a safe bet that it uses some form of commercial chipset at the very least, so the processor would just be interpreting the NMEA string from the chipset, as you'd be silly to design it any other way. So it's probably hackable in this respect, but like I said I wouldn't even bother. The screen is useless, you can't even get a basic GPS position displayed on it. For less than $50 more you can get a full GPS (say the Garmin eTrex Yellow) that will do everything under the sun, and there is plenty of info on how to hack the firmware in those too. So if you want some hacking fun, I'd go down that path. If ultra low cost is what you want then stick with the OEM modules.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones