Name that SMD...

Hi All,

My kids were watching their portable DVD player last night when, all of a sudden, the smoke escaped :-)

Opening it up revealed a 'fried' SMD near where the 12V DC input enters the circuit board (the 'fried' SMD is near the centre of the following photo and the 12V DC input socket is at the top middle of the photo):

A close up of the 'fried' SMD is in this photo:

So, anybody like to take a stab at identifying it (my guess was some form of voltage regulator?). Yep, I probably will end up trashing it and buying a new DVD player, but thought I'd try my hand at a repair out of interest (I've really nothing to loose).

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
usul

photo):

photo:

Yeah, possibly a small adjustable or pin strapable linear reg to power some small supplementary circuit. These things usually don't just go KAPUT on their own, probably something else went KAPUT and took the poor fella out. Can't help with the ID though, sorry.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Thanks Dave, Yes, strange it seems to have died by itself (but I see no other damage/scorching of any other component on either side of the board - though that's no indicator that some other component might have failed less catastrophically), I wonder if it might have been some power surge/spike viathe external transformer. Thanks again.

Reply to
usul

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@m45g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

The external supply would be a switchmode? In which case such a surge would have likely taken out the plugpack first before it was passed on to the 12V output. But who knows with those cheap'n'cheerful asian plugpacks, some of them are such a worry they almost keep me awake at night.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

wowzers look where pin 3 ended up. remove it and see if there is any writing on the under side of the chip.

Reply to
MisterE

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 09:51:05 +1000, "usul" put finger to keyboard and composed:

It may help if you could at least identify the supply pins. Otherwise I'm guessing that it could be a power supply supervisor with a reset output, although I would think that these chips would be monitoring the 5V or 3.3V rails, not the +12V.

BTW, is it possible that the wrong DC adapter was used?

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Thanks Franc, It was using the same DC adapter that's been is use the past 18 month. I'll see what further info I can discover when I remove the component from the board (as MisterE suggested).

Reply to
usul

Hi, before you remove it - try putting a little isoporpyl on it, it may enhance the case markings which could help, it may not - but worth a try as it will probably fall apart when you try and remove it

Greg

Reply to
gcd

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 06:05:04 +1000, Franc Zabkar put finger to keyboard and composed:

I've just checked my ADSL modem. It has two supervisor ICs, one to monitor the CPU Vcc, the other to monitor the unregulated +12V rail via a potential divider.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Sounds amazing, I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Reply to
usul