multiple head split system air conditioning

I am after a 3 head air conditioner with one single external compressor.

I thought this would be easy to find but it has turned out to be a bit of a
pickle.  All the 3 head compatible systems I have seen will cost me around
$3500. I have looked at Mitsubishi, Fujitsu and DeLonghi.

I dont want to spend that much with the knowledge that single head systems
can be had for under $600 for the same output per room.....Close to half the
cost of the multi head system, yet with two extra compressors.

Has anyone tried to hack a single head system into a multi head system? I
don't mind the reduced output. Only a max of 2 heads would be running at any
one time.  Installing three separate compressors outside is not going to
impress the body corporate of my apartment....

Re: multiple head split system air conditioning
\
  a large two head unit is much cheaper for the same capacity

  match the capacity and complexity

  unsuccessfully I would think
  so over size with two units and leave some doors open ?

Re: multiple head split system air conditioning

**I went down this track nearly 2 years ago. I started looking at a
multi-head split system from Panasonic. It was like pulling teeth, trying to
get a straight answer from the company. even though their web site suggested
that they could supply the product. I then looked at a few other companies
and gave up. Then I looked at a ducted system. It would have cost $15k. The
multi-head (yeah, I finally found one) was going to cost $10k. I gave up and
purchased two, 7.2kW, inverter type Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (different
to Mitsubishi Electric) for $5k (for both) installed. Best decision I could
have made. They are incredibly quiet, VERY efficient - I only ever need to
run one at any one time (two story house) - and an utter delight.

My only reservation, is that I would have preferred floor mounted
evaporators, but the only company I could get them from was Daiken. Daiken =
excellent quality = Big Bucks.

Go with a couple of units. It's easier, cheaper and more efficient. Unless
things have altered in the last 18 months, of course. Oh yeah: Don't even
THINK about one of those cheap Chinese crap box ones. They're noisy, don't
meet their claimed efficiency figures and they're unreliable. My nearest
neighbour has one. If I stand beside my compressor, whilst it is running, I
can easily hear his compressor, even though it is 30 Metres away. POS.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: multiple head split system air conditioning

Thanks Trevor,

I certainly would go for individual systems but this is for an apartment,
and three boxes outside the apartment won't float with the body corporate.
I'll probably go for a 2 head system and pipe some extra pipes for the third
system should the need and the $$ arise in future.

Re: multiple head split system air conditioning

**Good luck with that. Like I said, Panasonic had the best, IMO, back when I
looked. They are very efficient, allegedly quiet and the range is quite
broad. Trouble is, no one wanted to sell it to me. I could have purchased
Daiken though.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au