Multimeter recommendation

The last multimeter I bought, a Digitech, claimed to have auto-power
off, but actually just turned off the LCD, which did little to reduce
its power consumption. I removed a wasteful diode that showed mains
detection, and frequently operated even when the meter had "powered
down", but the thing still drains a battery in a couple of weeks.

Given that I'm chronically incapable of remembering to turn multimeters
off, can anyone advise of a model that really does turn itself off,
rather than just pretending to.

Sylvia.

Re: Multimeter recommendation

Fluke 73 (?) series -- batteries lasted for years, I had one in
mid 80s, dunno about more recent stuff (retired in '93).

Grant.

Re: Multimeter recommendation

I recently got sick of cheapo multimeters failing regularly and needing
replacing (and thus not actually being cheap) and so bought a Fluke 17B+
from a seller on AliExpress. It was around US$110 (previously I'd spend ~$30
buying throwaway things every year or two) and it has been a joy to use. It
seems to auto-turn off just fine and anyway I'm running mine on 2 x Eneloop
AA cells. They last for ages between recharges, even with the display lit
up.

They are genuine Fluke meters designed and built for the Chinese and Indian
markets and as such aren't available from Fluke dealers in more developed
countries (where they expect you to spend several hundred on a completely
different model meter).

There are a few reviews on youtube etc. I'm quite poor and can't afford to
waste that sort of money so did my due diligence before buying mine. As I
said it's been great to use - there's nothing worse than being unsure that a
cheap multimeter is reading correctly. If you're testing something it's
because you want to know a value, not second-guess a cheap meter. (IMO.)

Hope that helps. Of course if you don't have the similar financial
constraints to me you could buy a Fluke locally from RS or wherever for
around $300 to $1,200 or so.
--
Shaun.

Re: Multimeter recommendation

I find these are OK;

http://www.appatech.com/appa_index.php

I have a 20 year old version of the Appa 25, the automotive multimeter
and it has been an excellent value product. They are as close as you can
get to the real Flukes but at affordable prices.

http://www.appatech.com/appa_product_home.php?pdid20%05122002520420186&&kindid20%050810031154942476

That said, I don't forget to turn mine off very often but the battery
seems to last a very long time. That reminds me, must go and check its
voltage level, don't want a leaky battery rotting out the insides of my
Appa25.  ;-)

--

Xeno

Re: Multimeter recommendation

I was given a Tenma one with the same problem. I guess the designers
were given a list of features as bullet points, and did the bare mininum
that would get the customer to tick off that feature as "done". If the
screen looks like it is "off" that's all they wanted for their
marketing, even if battery consumption is not reduced. It is really
annoying for me because if the screen were still on then I would see
that and remember to turn it off, but the blank screen caused me to
overlook this and flaten the battery.

Some (but not all) cheap digital vernier calipers have a similar
problem, though for those, even the off button does not reduce the power
consumption much. I think in the case of the digital vernier calipers,
it was done so that it keeps track of the position even when moved with
the screen off, because Mitutoyo ones have absolute encoders and (some
of) the cheap ones wanted to pretend to also, at the expense of terrible
battery life. Actually the terrible battery life of some of the cheap
calipers might be making some people avoid even the good cheap calipers
and buy real Mitutoyo ones. The better cheap ones can be recognised
because they fail to track movements that occur when they are turned
off, because they actually are off.

Re: Multimeter recommendation
My Aldi calipers have now been using the same battery for over a year,
thats good enough for most uses.

Re: Multimeter recommendation

From time to time I forget to release the power button on my Altai DMM - so
far; the battery has lasted a few years.

Some years back one of the magazines did a power shutdown unit for test
instruments, Might've been Elektor - if it was EPE; they probably scrounged
it from SC in the first place.

Re: Multimeter recommendation

Maybe look at one of Dave Jones' EEVBlog branded Brymen BM235 meters.

I've got one, works fine for general work. Feels solid, robust switch
action, silicon leads etc. About $130

https://www.eevblog.com/product/bm235-multimeter/

Site Timeline