MP3 player kit

My son (22yo) is asking what MP3 player kits are available in Australia. I've asked him for more details on what he has in mind (that isn't covered by commercial units), but I can say that he's a competent (degreed) programmer who also knows how to use a soldering iron (though he hasn't built many circuits), so something with available software source code and an open development platform would be excellent. More details when he replies to my email... meantime...

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I built one of these in a rack box with a couple of power amps and a removable hard drive.

Has been going well for several years now.

Reply to
swanny

dmm

Also Jesper Hansen's MP3 work:

Quite a few different ideas here and kits/pcb's available.

Reply to
swanny

For something a little different that may interest him:

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Nice one, thanks guys, some good things to go on with there.

Clifford.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

him:

Looks a very interesting product, Is there a similar unit available that will play video as well ?

cards.http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16659

products.http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16654

Reply to
kreed

You mean a DVD video movie format on the USB memory, to video out?

Don't think I have seen anything along those lines to date. You had an application in mind?

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

I notice that Altronics have an MP3 hard disk player kit on special at the moment:

swanny

Could get a board from sparkfun.com then control it with and interface to an sd card to load the music from.

Fairly easy with a pic or avr or

Not sure if Don resells any of the vs1002 boards

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

No, I don't Alex, Sparkfun have some very nice goodies :-)

Don...