MP3 player kit

My son (22yo) is asking what MP3 player kits are available in Australia.
I've asked him for more details on what he has in mind (that isn't covered
by commercial units), but I can say that he's a competent (degreed)
programmer who also knows how to use a soldering iron (though he hasn't
built many circuits), so something with available software source code
and an open development platform would be excellent. More details when
he replies to my email... meantime...

Any suggestions?

Re: MP3 player kit

I built one of these in a rack box with a couple of power amps and a removable
hard drive.

http://www.kitstream.com /

Has been going well for several years now.

Re: MP3 player kit

Also Jesper Hansen's MP3 work:

http://www.myplace.nu/mp3/index2.htm

Quite a few different ideas here and kits/pcb's available.

Re: MP3 player kit

http://www.avrcard.com/products/mp3minicube.htm

http://www.brokentoaster.com/butterflymp3/index.html

http://www.rockbox.org /

Re: MP3 player kit

For something a little different that may interest him:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid16%663

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: MP3 player kit

him:http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid16%663
Looks a very interesting product, Is there a similar unit available
that will play video as well ?

cards.http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid16%659
products.http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid16%654

Re: MP3 player kit

You mean a DVD video movie format on the USB memory, to video out?

Don't think I have seen anything along those lines to date.
You had an application in mind?

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: MP3 player kit

Nice one, thanks guys, some good things to go on with there.

Clifford.

Re: MP3 player kit

Could get a
board from sparkfun.com then control it with <insert favourite
microcontroller>
and interface to an sd card to load the music from.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id51%9

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id78%32

Fairly easy with a  pic or avr or <insert favourite micro>

Not sure if Don resells any of the vs1002 boards

Alex

Re: MP3 player kit

No, I don't Alex,  Sparkfun have some very nice goodies :-)

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: MP3 player kit

I notice that Altronics have an MP3 hard disk player kit on special at the
moment:

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=K2770

Site Timeline