MP3 player - charging

I have a Sony NWD B103F MP3 player that is designed to charge its battery
through a USB computer connection.

I don't always have a computer with me when I want to use the MP3 player, so
I have tried to charge the battery by simply connecting a regulated 5 volts
to the correct USB power pins (Pins 1 and 4, with no connections to pins 2
and 3).  However, this does not work with the B103F.  It seems that it is
necessary to more closely simulate a USB port, presumably with voltages (or
no voltages) on the USB data pins (Pins 2 and 3).

Does anyone know how this can be done, please?

Re: MP3 player - charging

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/M9942

Try this.

Cheers TT

PS You can get car cigarette lighter ones as well

Re: MP3 player - charging

Some devices require an actual USB handshake before they start drawing
enough power to charge - This is the USB spec. Unfortunately, that
requires a complete USB host controller in the charger. Every charger
that I've seen is just a dumb +5V supply, so some polite devices can't
be charged.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Re: MP3 player - charging

Thank you, Nicholas, and thank you also, TT, for your informative responses.
It seems that building (or even buying) a suitable USB charger is not a
simple matter.  I will just have to continue relying on a computer to keep
the B103F charged.

Regards
Bob

Re: MP3 player - charging

Did you try the DSE unit I suggested and it didn't work?  I know it works
with iPods and Creative's Zen Touch.

Cheers TT

Re: MP3 player - charging

No, TT, I have not tried the DSE unit.  It's quite reasonably priced and  I
would be quite happy to buy it, if it was certain to work.  However I
suspect that it does nothing more than providing 5 Volts to USB Pins 1 and
4, which I can easily do myself.  I think that my Sony B103F may be much
more fussy about its charging source than the iPods and Creative's Zen
Touch.

When I originally Googled this topic I found that someone had built a
charger by simulating a USB port with a network of resistors connected to
the USB Data pins, but this did not work for me either - in fact, after
trying this I needed to press the master reset button on the B103F to get it
working again.  This fussiness about its charging source may be a good
reason for many people to avoid Sony MP3s.  AFAIK Sony doesn't sell a
charger for this unit.

Thanks anyway
Bob

Re: MP3 player - charging

Tried ebay?

Re: MP3 player - charging

    Remember that DSE's got a 14 day period for you to return something
if it doesn't do what you want. If you've got time, you could try that
approach.

Bob

Site Timeline