mounting PIRs on plaster

what type of screws or fixing do you suggest?

double sided tape?

thanks in advance  Joe

Re: mounting PIRs on plaster

1) Tap around and find the stud or rafter behind it and use wood screws.
2) Use toggle bolts.
3) Use a sky hook.

Re: mounting PIRs on plaster

Thanks... I thought of these.... the PIRs are very light and I have
hoping not to use heavy artillery (toggle bolts, sky hooks)
(I assume a a few hundred grams weight for the PIRs). The PIR mounting
hole is about 3mm in dia.

From a sensing point of view the PIRs are mounted in the top corner of
the corninesses  to give full coverage of the room and there is no
wood behind,

I was hoping to use a special plaster screw that could do light jobs.

I rushed around Bunnings last nite and couldn't see anything special
as most are designed for heavy jobs.

Any other pointers appreciated.
Joey

Re: mounting PIRs on plaster

I've seen short chip-board screws misused for fixing light loads to
plaster.  How long do you want it to last for?

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

---

Re: mounting PIRs on plaster
plastic wall plugs , but if you don't know that allow your cabler to fit
them as you need a permit to fit the pir's and cabling

--

Re: mounting PIRs on plaster

I thought only Mains Power and Telecom  required some with a cable
license to sign it off... Alarm is not Ethernet, Telecoms , or Power.
Can you sign a mandatory Australian standard or only a voluntary one.

My alarm contact advised just screwing the PIR's in without wall
plugs.... but I am be a latte cautious.

I was hopping not to use wall plugs as the PIRs are very light ( a few
hundred grams) and there may be special screw that I can use.

I've googled and went to Bunnings , but they have mounting solutions
for heavy jobs
Joey

Re: mounting PIRs on plaster
suggest?
  The rules state if the device has the potentual to be connected to the
pots , and being an alarm it has that potentual

  he's was wrong , plastic plugs or dabs of silastic work well in the
right hands

  again wall plugs
  bunning are not the definitive solutions carrier , cheap shiity ones yes

--

Re: mounting PIRs on plaster

In QLD, you don't need that if its in your own property.

While its interesting that someone mentions telephone cabling, the
sham artists tend to try and bundle alarms etc into that category by
claiming that these products should be done to austel standards as
they connect to the phone lines (alarm diallers etc).

Re: mounting PIRs on plaster
suggest?

  yes you do
  wrong information , nice try with the shame claim but a poor strawman

--

Re: mounting PIRs on plaster

-------------------------------

nice try with the shame claim but a poor strawman

If you are going to talk like that when its totally uncalled for,
then you can go and fuck yourself you SHITHEAD

Re: mounting PIRs on plaster
you suggest?
wipe your shoes , you have shite on them just like your chin

--

Re: mounting PIRs on plaster
Only if you are doing it professionally, anyone can do their own private

Re: mounting PIRs on plaster
not according to acma
  ask them unless under directio of a suitably qualified person

--

Re: mounting PIRs on plaster
I wonder if you could point me to the regulation that would stop me

Re: mounting PIRs on plaster
acma has a copy of the regs , take a look at structured

--

Re: mounting PIRs on plaster

Can't find anything to stop me.

Re: mounting PIRs on plaster
snipped-for-privacy@e12g2000pri.googlegroups.com:

These are the types of things you need, self drilling wall
anchors

http://www.anchor-fixing.com/products/Nylon-Easy-Drive-Anchor -
305743.html

Bunnings will have them. You just screw them in then use a small
self tapping screw to mount your PIR to them.

Re: mounting PIRs on plaster

Same thing I was talking about. Didnt know the techincal name for them
though.

Re: mounting PIRs on plaster

Use those plaster screws.  They are a large coarse threaded plastic
thing about 10mm diameter. You just screw it straight into the plaster
with a screwdriver,  You then do a normal screw into the centre of it
once it is in the plaster.

If you ever need to permanently remove the device later, these will
just unscrew, and you can bog up the holes without much trouble.

Don't waste time with tape, or with those thin "plaster mount" plastic
things that come with smoke detectors and other sensors. (look like a
masonry plug) While some seem to work ok, I have had these fall out
over time as they are just too thin for the job.

Re: mounting PIRs on plaster

Ramset wallmates.

Overkill, but piss easy.

--