mounting PIRs on plaster

what type of screws or fixing do you suggest?

double sided tape?

thanks in advance Joe

Reply to
Joey.G

1) Tap around and find the stud or rafter behind it and use wood screws. 2) Use toggle bolts. 3) Use a sky hook.
Reply to
Dennis

plastic wall plugs , but if you don't know that allow your cabler to fit them as you need a permit to fit the pir's and cabling

--

Reply to
atec77

Thanks... I thought of these.... the PIRs are very light and I have hoping not to use heavy artillery (toggle bolts, sky hooks) (I assume a a few hundred grams weight for the PIRs). The PIR mounting hole is about 3mm in dia.

From a sensing point of view the PIRs are mounted in the top corner of the corninesses to give full coverage of the room and there is no wood behind,

I was hoping to use a special plaster screw that could do light jobs.

I rushed around Bunnings last nite and couldn't see anything special as most are designed for heavy jobs.

Any other pointers appreciated. Joey

Reply to
Joey.G

ou suggest?

I thought only Mains Power and Telecom required some with a cable license to sign it off... Alarm is not Ethernet, Telecoms , or Power. Can you sign a mandatory Australian standard or only a voluntary one.

My alarm contact advised just screwing the PIR's in without wall plugs.... but I am be a latte cautious.

I was hopping not to use wall plugs as the PIRs are very light ( a few hundred grams) and there may be special screw that I can use.

I've googled and went to Bunnings , but they have mounting solutions for heavy jobs Joey

Reply to
Joey.G

suggest?

The rules state if the device has the potentual to be connected to the pots , and being an alarm it has that potentual

he's was wrong , plastic plugs or dabs of silastic work well in the right hands

again wall plugs

bunning are not the definitive solutions carrier , cheap shiity ones yes

--

Reply to
atec77

"Joey.G" wrote in news:98652895-8fe0- snipped-for-privacy@e12g2000pri.googlegroups.com:

These are the types of things you need, self drilling wall anchors

305743.html

Bunnings will have them. You just screw them in then use a small self tapping screw to mount your PIR to them.

Reply to
Geoff

Use those plaster screws. They are a large coarse threaded plastic thing about 10mm diameter. You just screw it straight into the plaster with a screwdriver, You then do a normal screw into the centre of it once it is in the plaster.

If you ever need to permanently remove the device later, these will just unscrew, and you can bog up the holes without much trouble.

Don't waste time with tape, or with those thin "plaster mount" plastic things that come with smoke detectors and other sensors. (look like a masonry plug) While some seem to work ok, I have had these fall out over time as they are just too thin for the job.

Reply to
kreed

ou suggest?

In QLD, you don't need that if its in your own property.

While its interesting that someone mentions telephone cabling, the sham artists tend to try and bundle alarms etc into that category by claiming that these products should be done to austel standards as they connect to the phone lines (alarm diallers etc).

Reply to
kreed

suggest?

yes you do

wrong information , nice try with the shame claim but a poor strawman

--

Reply to
atec77

Only if you are doing it professionally, anyone can do their own private alarm wiring.

Reply to
F Murtz

not according to acma ask them unless under directio of a suitably qualified person

--

Reply to
atec77

I wonder if you could point me to the regulation that would stop me installing a completely independent closed alarm system on my own property. the only external connection may be a plug pack to charge the battery or supply the electronics.

Reply to
F Murtz

acma has a copy of the regs , take a look at structured

--

Reply to
atec77

Can't find anything to stop me.

Reply to
F Murtz

Ramset wallmates.

Overkill, but piss easy.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Same thing I was talking about. Didnt know the techincal name for them though.

Reply to
kreed

I've seen short chip-board screws misused for fixing light loads to plaster. How long do you want it to last for?

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Just use wall board screws (or coarse self tappers), if they strip you can then convert to plugs. Turn the screws in with a light touch until they are touching the case. I mean its not as if you are putting them on and off every week !!

Rheilly P

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

g do you suggest?

it

nice try with the shame claim but a poor strawman

If you are going to talk like that when its totally uncalled for, then you can go and f*ck yourself you SHITHEAD

Reply to
kreed