Most obnoxious USB hub ever

Most obnoxious USB hub ever:

I wanted a powered USB hub, looked at the $60-$70 ones in the usual
shops, and decided to get one from msy.com.au. As there is one close to
me, I dropped in earlier today.

When they showed me their $11AUD 7 port hub, I decided to get 2. How
could I miss out?

Plugged it in and it works fine, but!!

looks like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HGyfnlfyEg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao5CA1kTNCk&feature=related

It will drive me mad. The flashing middle LED has nothing to do with the
operation of the unit. Neither has the other 7 LEDs. They ain't status
LEDs, just there to annoy the s**t out of you it seems.

I either have to open it up, and snip out the LEDs, or mask the ports,
and spray paint it black.

Such a shame. The middle LED changes to all the colours of the rainbow,
but at varying delays from about 100ms to 500ms.

Anyone else experienced these animals?

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Most obnoxious USB hub ever

Yes, I experienced a LED like this elsewhere, and it was *$&%
(  ANNOYING. To make it worse, it was a high brightness LED and also
flashed
different random colours at blinding intensity and time delay.

While I first thought it might have been some indicator as to the
unit's
operation, it turned out that it was just shoved across the +5 rail,
with a suitable dropping resistor.
just ONE of these was bad enough, let alone 8 !
Seems some small minds get excited over things like this as a "must
have" in every product.

Wire cutters solved the problem, though a bog standard low brightness
LED would have been a better choice for the design.

Have you seen some of the similar irritating LED lighting in some of
the PC fans these days ?
I can just imagine how good illuminated flashing, colour changing fans
would be in a media centre PC setup in the lounge room
while trying to watch a movie in a darkened room ;)

Re: Most obnoxious USB hub ever

  Unfortunately, it appears to be a trend.  I've seen a wireless router with
the same random flashy thing on top, I thought it was indicative of network
traffic or something.

  Alas no.  On the upside, in this case, via the setup, they could be disabled.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Most obnoxious USB hub ever

I think this sort of stuff is aimed at the new set of users. The sorta
person that has perspex side covers on their computer and neons under the
car etc etc.
The manufacturers follow their percieved markets, dinos like us are not part
of that scene :-)

Rheilly P

Re: Most obnoxious USB hub ever

True dinos do not use usb {:-).

--

Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.

Re: Most obnoxious USB hub ever

Are we talking morse code, pigeons, drums, or even smoke, for real dinos?

d:-)

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Most obnoxious USB hub ever

Heh, I'm trying to keep the smoke IN !!

Rheilly P

Re: Most obnoxious USB hub ever

Oh, I thought we were talking computer dino as opposed to communications
dino.

<says the man who was thinking of using SLIP over a pair of 2400 board
serial drivers to network the back shed recently>

--

Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.

Re: Most obnoxious USB hub ever

I recently logged into a favourite IRC channel using a 4kb computer from
1984 (MC-10) from my garage using serial and at 1200 baud so you're not at
all mad ;-)

Re: Most obnoxious USB hub ever

Yeah, me too. I still have the original Dick Smith that was the first legal
300 baud modem in this country that you could own instead of lease.

Re: Most obnoxious USB hub ever

What`s next..morse-code, or CB or...whatever.

Re: Most obnoxious USB hub ever

Is that the one with the place to put the handset on the modem where you had
to make the connection manually? Wanna sell it?

Re: Most obnoxious USB hub ever

With acoustic cups? or wired.

--

Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.

Re: Most obnoxious USB hub ever

I've got both.

Re: Most obnoxious USB hub ever

Lol, just keeping the old skills honed hey?

In my case I laid 2" water pipe to the shed a couple of decades ago and
pulled about eight multipair (of 8 pairs?) serial cables through the
pipe, but have done nothing with them since. So it was just a matter of
using what is there.

--

Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.

Re: Most obnoxious USB hub ever

I recently changed my Lexmark E310 from parallel to USB, did not make it go
faster though. Actually only discovered the USB port on it this year. Been
in possession of it since May 2000. Dinos do use USB, just takes a while
thats all.

Re: Most obnoxious USB hub ever

Hi Don,

Ah, I saw one of these at work and I actually thought it was an activity
LED.. Thanks for the heads up..!

Regards,

Ross..

Re: Most obnoxious USB hub ever

I had a look at the 2 x IC's used:

http://www.genesyslogic.com/_en/product_01_1.php?id42 %
has provision for status LEDs, so I would figure that the on board LEDs
could be put to better use.

All of the LEDs are 2 legged devices, and the centre flashing LED
appears to display possibly up to 8 variations of colour. A rather
interesting device.

But none of the 8 LEDs are status LEDs of any description.

A screw driver inserted near the USB connector, snaps the cover off easily.

There is a labeled bridge link near each port, cutting this stops not
only the LED, but also the port from working, so it may well be +5V.
Didn't bother diving in too deep.

Looks like if the LED activity annoys me too much, I have to snip out 7
LEDs, and leave one port LED there for power status.

Boy, they are very bright!!

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Most obnoxious USB hub ever

The LED's may have a current limiting resistor that you can snip out
instead.

Re: Most obnoxious USB hub ever

**Seems to be something the Chinese love. Pop in to a computer fair sometime
and you will see flashing lights attached to pretty much anything. The
attitude seems to be: "Well, we can do it cheap, so lets whack more and more
colourful lights to it."

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au