Monitored alarm or normal alarm?

Does a monitored alarm system reduces your home insurance premium by 40 to 50 % compared to only 5 % to a normal alarm system?

Any Insurance company in Perth doing that sort of discount for monitored alarms?

Reply to
astpc.net
** Hey * FUCKHEAD * where is the " OT " in the heading - eh ??

OT = off topic - if you did not know.

** No.

All such discounts are PHONY and a SCAM.

The insurers get cash kickbacks from the SHONKY alarm businesses.

** Bet there are.

See your local "Go for Broke " scumbag broker - anytime.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Probably but spend your money on improving the hardware of your home !!

--
Regards ......... Rheilly Phoull
Reply to

Pot, kettle, toaster, black.

Of course you've never posted an OT subject in your miserable life have you Phil? Hypocrite!

(Now watch the bleeder post an equally OT vile response).....

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

Do you mean home insurance as stated or home content insurance?

For the former increase your excess and you can get 50% discount on premium. After a few years you will be ahead if you needed to make a claim. On the latter install deterrent size grills to all openings and unless you have a lot of valuable stuff do what I do and don't worry about contents insurance.

Reply to
David

If you are going to all the work of installing an alarm System, regardless of insurance discounts, I would use a Monitored System, Get it monitored by a professional firm, up here in Queensland we use Instant Security, its about $80 a month for 24/7 monitoring, I believe it is cheaper for a domestic premises, and as it is all done via the phone, even though your in WA you could use them any way.

Reply to
Allan

I've spoken to my insurance broker about it a few times and he said that alarms are more for the peace of mind of the homeowner. In his dealings with insurance companies where they're negotiating the cheapest premium, the presence of an alarm, monitored or otherwise, has no effect on the price.

Of course, things may be different for your area or the insurers you're dealing with.

Reply to
Poxy

"Poxy"

** But may be required or no coverage offered.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Alan Rutlidge" you Phil? Hypocrite!

"Let he who is whithout sin cast the first stone"

Reply to
Fred At Home

Had one alarm install mob ring me the other day with an offer for $1 a day. After I had explained to the salesperson why even a monitored alarm system would not prevent home break-ins or lead to the capture of offenders, she almost changed sides and agreed with me. After all, any half decent burglar will have cased a place before breaking in and will be in and out and away before anyone at the monitoring point has even got into their car or called the police.

Far better to put your money into other means of protection.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

This is what I don't get either. There seems to be very little use for a monitored system apart from more immediate notification of a breakin, and some pretty stickers to put on your front window.

Any savings in premium would probably be offset in the -ve direction by the extra costs of monitoring.

Reply to
rowan194

"rowan194"

** The idea behind monitoring an alarm is simple - in case the premises are left in an unsafe condition after a break in.

For example, a shop's front window may be smashed and external doors left wide open requiring immediate attention until full repairs can be made. The monitoring folk will attend the premises, organise any temporary fixes to make the place safe and liase with the owners and police if needed.

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Monitor it yourself...this is what I do,all you need is a mobile phone. After all the police are so usless,in my area that you need to know well before the police ever do that the place has been breached so I have a chance of catching the dickheads,I added CCTV camera's ontop of a monitored alarm,it amazing how well behaved people are when on camera...lol, As I have said before....there is still the odd,hogan bogan that thinks my camera's are flashy outside lights,which don't work cause I can't afford to get the electrition to connect them up,they soon learn however when I catch up with them somewhere and imitate their activities.

Reply to
Magic Mushroom Farmer

Like a nice perimeter defence system... trouble is anything i think of isnt very legal.. ho hum lol

Reply to
Ed

Gov Co's new terrorist laws may apply here...lol Tire spikes are tried and proven.....If they are really up to no good they rip off the tire spikes and never say a word,been there.lol Lets say it was a good hunch that people were intruding 5mins after i drove out the gate. I say no more other than ,very expensive manufacture fitted tires and a story to an insurence company,along with intruder good will to remove danger from harming people.

Never heard a word about it...lol,I do have intel.

Reply to
Magic Mushroom Farmer

Believe me, unless you're sitting out the front of the house at the time you have NO chance of catching them no matter who the call goes to.

Having worked in the security industry for years performing alarm responses I have seen us arrive at a premises LESS that 1 minute after having been advised of the alarm, and still the offender had left before we arrived. Why? Because of the entry delay, then the time it takes the alarm to report. A clever burglar knows what they want and is in and out in a matter of seconds - we watched this incident on CCTV tape after to determine the time frame and the offender had actually gotten in, got what he wanted, and exited the building before the alarm had even had a chance to report......

The one thing a monitored system does is tell someone that something is wrong, and that can be handy. I have responded to private residences where people have pulled the fuses to cut power which then triggered the alarm, so it prevented a break in because once it went off they knew that security would be on the way. If you have a decent security company that should mean a matter of minutes, but the acceptable standard is up to 30 minutes for a response...

And don't get sucked in by the companies that say they send Police - that usually takes longer as they have far better things to be doing than checking alarms, and in NSW at least if the system false alarms too many times you get fined if the Police have to respond. You be surprised how many residential systems specify send Police not Patrol because they think it's better to send the cops - if only they knew!!! And avoid the ones like NRMA, ADT, FAI, etc - they contract out their responses and I have seen their contractors take up to 1 hour to get around to responding because they are so busy elsewhere - pick an actual reputible security company that is well known and used commercially as well as residentially...

Reply to
Martin

In my case I have access control so in order to set the entry delay the door must disable the second backup alarm system via activating the door strike. I have this setup and in Bogan country,where organised crime is just way above intelligence level's of locals,well organised as in of being able to out smart a basic reed switch or motion detector. They drive farm utes and happen to carry bolt cutters so my threat with even just a local alarm is very small. I like to know if it goes off as I am the only one that can turn it off....lol. As I said it is Bogan country, not city corp. I think my system is efficent enough for my area,however these systems cost 10's of thousands for most,however I installed it myself to cut that cost to max $1500. Not supposed to however when it comes to the point where Civil law fails and fedral law recons you are full of crap,you have to bend and break silly rules and reg's to just survive. Licenced Personel only? Not here. Access denied I am sorry to say Gov Co.

Reply to
Magic Mushroom Farmer

Since when do you need to be licensed to install your own security system?? Security licence is only needed if you carry out security work for payment or install on a commercial scale, and if you are just plugging the dialer into a phone socket you don't need to be a registered cabler...

Reply to
Martin