Monitor problems

My Benq 17 inch LCD monitor died early this week. With the price of them, I was wondering whether to bother even seeing if I could fix it. As it turns out, I was able to find the fault and repair it, and in the process found I wasn't the only one who had had exactly the same problem. Some googling for the failed transistor turned up other with the same fault in this monitor and rebadged versions of it eg some Dell re-branding. I didn't even need to google the monitor.

It turns out that the lamp driver circuit may not be the best designed and the driver transistors fail. Replacement fixed it but I began to wonder how many others out there had their Benq monitor die but didn't bother trying a fix.

Cheers Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

The backlight on my Benq FP737s died a while ago. I was about to chuck it out and get a new monitor but then I found a bit of info at

. I'm guessing that is where you saw claims that the circuit is dodgy and should be modified. I did not do that, all I did was replace one dead 2SC5707 and one blown picofuse. I resoldered the connections to the inverter transformers for good measure. I also had a bit of grief with a bad connection on the ribbon cable between the VGA board and the panel board, but I managed to sort that out and it has been working OK for about two months now.

Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

.net. I'm guessing that is where you saw claims that the

Mine is an FP17G. 2SC5707 died too but could not find fuse and it certainly is working after I replaced the pair of transistors (the other went shortly after I replace the first -- lucky I ordered a couple). Anyway, before I replaced it, I noticed a substantial dry joint on the capacitor between the (collectors?? I think) of the transistor pair. Not sure if this was related to the failure.

I found a few websites referring to the problem but didn't note the URLs.

Cheers Glenn

Reply to
Glenn