Monitor High Pitch Whistle

A friends monitor is occasionally emitting a pretty uncomfortable high
pitched whistle.

You can give it a knock and it may drop the intensity a bit, but will
often come back again later. Changing the display width also may reduce
it for a while but he says it is still there.

I assume it is a physical problem yes / no ?

Any ideas on solutions?

TIA,

Bryan

Re: Monitor High Pitch Whistle

The likely culprit is either the LOPT on the circuit board, or the scan
assembly on the neck of the tube. Some people have had luck using superglue
dotted anywhere they can see a join where ferrite pieces are clamped
together. The glue then wicks into the joints and sets. YMMV

Apart from the normal unplugging from all power and other equipment, be VERY
careful to ensure there is no HV stored in capacitors or by the CRT. Not
usually lethal, but can cause galvanic responses in muscles that tears flesh
on sharp bits of the chassis, or even propels the monitor off the bench. An
imploding CRT is not something you want at your feet!

Re: Monitor High Pitch Whistle

Thanks Bill,

HV points noted. How long does the glass hold charge for after switch off?

Bryan

Re: Monitor High Pitch Whistle

I can remember picking up CRTs to put into TVs and accidentally
brushing the ultor and getting stung........... This was outta the box
from the mob that regunned them.........

So I would say that the charge can last a long time.........

Mitch.....

Re: Monitor High Pitch Whistle

And a quick discharge does not seem to finish the job. My memory tells me I
was stung from CRT that had been discharged, and then seemed to gather some
more charge from somewhere. If you can keep a wire link from the ultor to
the aquadag you will be pretty safe.

Re: Monitor High Pitch Whistle

That's why I asked. Because of the nature of glass, the charge takes
time to travel and a quick short will not discharge it.

But I will try and be careful, and if you never hear from me again, send
an epitaph.

Bryan

Site Timeline