Modifying power Supply - worth it? - Page 2

Re: Modifying power Supply - worth it?

Did as you suggested, but couldn't see any transients, even on the CROs
sensitive settings - thanks for the suggestion though - however, due to my and
my gears limitations I don't discount what you say.

David

Re: Modifying power Supply - worth it?

Will look more closely when I have time to completely disassemble the unit,
but at the moment I may have to...

Bridge the V adj pot to limit its range somewhat, if there is no room to fit
a cermet pot (don't know about these, have to research) - it wouldn;t bother
me if that limited the range to 0 to 15v or such.

The load switch may have to be external, as the connections to all the OP
terminals are PCB traces - but will see if there is a chance of breaking the
common earth to them

Adding fixed 5v is a good idea, but am not sure if I can do that and have
the OP metered - building a separate fixed 5V supply for my PIC and TTL
stuff might be the way to go

Cheers and thanks again

David

Re: Modifying power Supply - worth it?

*Always* -

With the Chineese gouging the earth for raw materials to change into IOU
notes, there is simply no point in buying components and building something
for ten times the cost of the commercial unit; for my hobby purposes it's
cheaper to buy something "almost-there" and then hack it to fit.

Re: Modifying power Supply - worth it?

Modify the case to give enough room to add whatever controls/jacks/
meters you want.  Just screw a project box to it, and run the
necessary leads into the project box.  A fixed 5 V output makes
sense.  For smoother and more precise control, add a selector switch
to select an appropriate resistance string for a range, and place
your existing pot in parallel with part of it to lower the resistance.
Or put a multiturn pot in series with a suitable resistance string
for the range to increase the resistance.

A nice "expanded precision" pot is this circuit:

      |     |
      |    [R]
     [R]    |
      |   [POT]