mobile phone battery

That's the way it should be for the working fellas above certain income. Leaving the job to the ATO to punish hardworking family people isn't the way to go.

Reply to
Damian

I don?t believe you need it even if you don?t.

That?s overstated. If the levy was high enough to pay for everything delivered as quick as anyone ever wanted it, they voters wouldn?t wear it.

There are certainly some advantages with that approach, but its far from clear that its politically feasible.

I don?t.

It still leaves the US and British systems for dead.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That would be unrealistic. If you are working person and constantly under threat of injuries, health issues, then the current system and economics demand to have health insurance. If you are at work or behind wheels, then the work and road insurance scheme would help. If the injury happens elsewhere, you can end up being screwed. Then the illnesses and terminal illnesses can make the situation even more complicated.

I think, it would be great to have a tax funded health insurance scheme. Whether it's politically feasible under current situtation is another story.

Yeah, that's a valid argument. But, it won't kill to give a go at it. A similar thing was spread around before the introduction of medicare system, not it's still around, and seems to be doing the job fine for all Australians. Many people, like myself are more than happy to pay higher levy or tax to get 'universal' medicare, so we won't have to get screwed by private health insurers.

Jillard just put the levy up by half a percent to pay for NDIS. I'm not sure people are pissed off with her on that. I think it's many other issues she stuffed up that her ratings are pretty bad at the moment. I think it's politically feasible, but probably not by the current government, by the sound and looks of it, they need miracle to survive. And I may need to choose between the rope and exile in Antarctica, eh?!!

That because you earnings are below 84K.

US for dead sure, but not sure about UK though. You may be right about them as well, since they have cut down lot of public spending recently though. But, I think there are countries out there which may have far better system than us(Germany, etc).

Reply to
Damian

Nope, I have never had it and never needed it and don?t look after myself.

I didn?t even bother with it when I physically built my own house.

The public hospital system worked fine every time.

Bullshit.

I've never need to use either for health care.

Bullshit. The public hospital system works fine for that sort of thing.

Nope. In fact a number of mates of mine have had those and only a couple of them have health insurance.

That?s what we have.

It would actually. No one has anything like that world wide.

Depends on what you want done. There are real downsides in some situations like cataracts for example.

You are free to have that with health insurance.

You don?t get screwed by them.

And that doesn?t even come close to raising what it costs.

Plenty are.

All of them in fact.

I know it isnt. No one does that world wide.

Not even a miracle would do that now.

Once you get to 30% of the primary vote, no one has EVER come back from that.

Yep.

Nope.

I am on being able to use any doctor you like any time you like.

That was true even before that.

Nope.

Reply to
Rod Speed

NiMH batteries do seem to have the memory effect. You can benefit from having a charger that allows you to discharge the battery and recharge back to it's full capacity. I'm not sure about the memory effect on LiIon batteries though. I do know, they don't like being fully discharged, just like Lead acid batteries.

Reply to
Damian

No, and they use Li-Ion now anyway.

No.

There is none.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Here we go again. You broke my balls over this debate last time. You didn't convince me any facts, and I didn't manage to convince you either. Whether there is such effect or not, I know this much, I successfully restored weak voltage NiMH and NiCd batteries by discharging them fullly and recharging them again. I had to do it couple or times or more though. Since, you are a chemistry guru, I'm sure you know more about this stuff.

Yes, The latest Li-Ion technology suppose to be even better than Lead acid batteries in terms of the power they can hold and in some cases longevity as well, but such Li-Ion batteries are still pretty expensive. They use them in high end electric cars.

My experience so far with NiCD and NiMH says otherwise.

Correct.

Reply to
Damian
[...]

Actually, you are both right. Rod is right with his "No", because NiMH batteries do indeed not have a memeory effect. But you are also right with the experience/process which you describe.

Here's an example reference which explains it:

["I'm Feely Lucky" result of Google search on "nimh rechargeable batteries memory [effect]", i.e. not *really* rocket science! :-(]

"Do NiMH batteries have memory effect?

Technically, NiMH batteries do not have a "memory effect", but strictly speaking neither do NiCds. However NiMH batteries can experience voltage depletion, also called voltage depression, similar to that of NiCd batteries, but the effect is normally less noticeable. To completely eliminate the possibility of NiMH batteries suffering any voltage depletion effect manufacturers recommend an occasional, complete discharge of NiMH batteries followed by a full recharge. NiMH batteries can also be damaged by overcharge and improper storage (see the NiCd section immediately above this one). Most users of NiMH batteries don't have to be concerned with this voltage depletion effect. But if you use a device say a flashlight, radio, or digital camera for only a short time every day and then charge the batteries every night, you will need to let the NiMH (or NiCd) batteries run down occasionally."

[...]

Well, as the above reference explains, and as your, mine and other people's experience confirms, Rod's quite wrong on this one.

[...]
Reply to
Frank Slootweg

No, you're just plain wrong, again.

Doesn?t change a single fact.

There isnt.

Its bullshit with NiMH.

Yep, there is no memory effect with NiMH.

Not with the mobile phones being discussed they arent.

Sure, but there isnt anything in it price wise with mobile phones.

No it doesn?t. You're just fooling yourself.

My cordless phones all use NiMH and there is no memory effect what so ever with those. They are never ever fully discharged and when you use a good high quality NiMH there is never ever any memory effect.

I always am.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That?s just plain wrong. My cordless phones all get used like that and never ever get run down even occasionally.

My torch doesn?t either.

Nope.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Yes, I believe the experience says he can't be right.

Reply to
Damian

Ok. Then we can suggest the 'memory effect' is a crude name for the voltage depletion/depression effect?! Since NiCD/NiMH batteries don't have memories, we can use a better term for it as above?!! :-)

Reply to
Damian

Like I said, I ain't capable of convincing you. You are the one with the Chemistry experties. :-)

Reply to
Damian

AFAIK, such high Li-Ion battery technology hasn't been introduced to mobile phones yet. They are just being used for high end electric cars AFAIK. In time, they may phase out lead acid batteries. Lead acids are powerful and long lasting, yet as heavy as an elephant. It's time to let them go I reckon. Downside of Li-Ion is that they are pretty capable TNT bombs in right conditions. You wouldn't wanna be inside an electric car, or anywhere near it, that being caught fire. Having said that, gasoline cars have the gasoline tank, which is as bad as Li-Ion or even worse I reckon?!!

The word 'memory effect' may be a loose term. But, some NiCD and NiMH batteries do get sluggish after continuous use without fully charging them. Then I managed to restore to acceptable levels by discharging them for hours, slowly, using the discharge function on a charger. Then recharge/discharge couple more times. You may be right about the good high quality NiMH. But, where do you get such ones?!! Can you suggest brands, sellers?!!!!

You are being delusional. Is pope catholic?!! :-))

Reply to
Damian

Roddles is wrong. His 'counter' is meaningless. He basically says "I haven't had problem X, so problem X doesn't exist!". That kind of 'logic' might 'work' in his parallel universe, in the real world we don't accept such bollocks.

Reply to
Frank Slootweg

Agreed.

Reply to
Frank Slootweg

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

That?s the evidence that there is no memory effect with NiMH, f****it.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I would think that a 'chemistry expert' would know the difference between the blue and pink pills, but apparently this particular one doesn't.

Reply to
Frank Slootweg

Like I said, you never ever could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

Reply to
Rod Speed