mobile phone battery - Page 3

Re: mobile phone battery
On Fri, 31 May 2013 10:03:30 +1000, Clifford Heath

Not sure if urban myth try freezing it in plastic bag in deep freeze
for a day then thaw it out and recharge. Something to do with
batteries getting a "memory" I've had some success with Motorola
batteries (not always)
--
Petzl
I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left

Re: mobile phone battery

It is.

That will fuck a battery.

That doesn't happen with the current battery technology.

Re: mobile phone battery

NiMH batteries do seem to have the memory effect.
You can benefit from having a charger that allows you to discharge the
battery and recharge back to it's full capacity.
I'm not sure about the memory effect on LiIon batteries though. I do know,
they don't like being fully discharged, just like Lead acid batteries.

Re: mobile phone battery

No, and they use Li-Ion now anyway.

No.

There is none.

Re: mobile phone battery

Here we go again. You broke my balls over this debate last time. You didn't
convince me
any facts, and I didn't manage to convince you either.
Whether there is such effect or not, I know this much,
I successfully restored weak voltage NiMH and NiCd batteries by discharging
them fullly and recharging them again.
I had to do it couple or times or more though.
Since, you are a chemistry guru, I'm sure you know more about this stuff.

Yes, The latest Li-Ion technology suppose to be even better than Lead acid
batteries in terms of the power
they can hold and in some cases longevity as well, but such Li-Ion batteries
are still pretty expensive.
They use them in high end electric cars.

My experience so far with NiCD and NiMH says otherwise.

Correct.

Re: mobile phone battery
[...]

  Actually, you are both right. Rod is right with his "No", because NiMH
batteries do indeed not have a memeory effect. But you are also right
with the experience/process which you describe.

  Here's an example reference which explains it:

<http://www.greenbatteries.com/nibafa.html#NiMH memory>

["I'm Feely Lucky" result of Google search on "nimh rechargeable
batteries memory [effect]", i.e. not *really* rocket science! :-(]

"Do NiMH batteries have memory effect?

 Technically, NiMH batteries do not have a "memory effect", but strictly
 speaking neither do NiCds.  However NiMH batteries can experience
 voltage depletion, also called voltage depression, similar to that of
 NiCd batteries, but the effect is normally  less noticeable.  To
 completely eliminate the possibility of NiMH batteries suffering any
 voltage depletion effect  manufacturers recommend an occasional,
 complete discharge of NiMH batteries followed by a full recharge. NiMH
 batteries can also be damaged by overcharge and improper storage (see
 the NiCd section immediately above this one). Most users of NiMH
 batteries don't have to be concerned with this voltage depletion
 effect.  But if you use a device say a flashlight, radio, or digital
 camera for only a short time every day and then charge the batteries
 every night, you will need to let the NiMH (or NiCd) batteries run down
 occasionally."

[...]

  Well, as the above reference explains, and as your, mine and other
people's experience confirms, Rod's quite wrong on this one.

[...]

Re: mobile phone battery

That?s just plain wrong. My cordless phones all get used
like that and never ever get run down even occasionally.

My torch doesn?t either.

Nope.

Re: mobile phone battery

Like I said, I ain't capable of convincing you. You are the one with the
Chemistry experties. :-)

Re: mobile phone battery

  Roddles is wrong. His 'counter' is meaningless. He basically says "I
haven't had problem X, so problem X doesn't exist!". That kind of
'logic' might 'work' in his parallel universe, in the real world we
don't accept such bollocks.

Re: mobile phone battery

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

That?s the evidence that there is no memory effect with NiMH, fuckwit.

Re: mobile phone battery

  I would think that a 'chemistry expert' would know the difference
between the blue and pink pills, but apparently this particular one
doesn't.

Re: mobile phone battery

Like I said, you never ever could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

Re: mobile phone battery

Yes, I believe the experience says he can't be right.

Re: mobile phone battery

Ok. Then we can suggest the 'memory effect' is a crude name for the voltage
depletion/depression effect?!
Since NiCD/NiMH batteries don't have memories, we can use a better term for
it as above?!! :-)

Re: mobile phone battery

  Agreed.

Re: mobile phone battery

No, you're just plain wrong, again.

Doesn?t change a single fact.

There isnt.

Its bullshit with NiMH.

Yep, there is no memory effect with NiMH.

Not with the mobile phones being discussed they arent.

Sure, but there isnt anything in it price wise with mobile phones.

No it doesn?t. You're just fooling yourself.

My cordless phones all use NiMH and there is no memory effect
what so ever with those. They are never ever fully discharged and
when you use a good high quality NiMH there is never ever any
memory effect.

I always am.

Re: mobile phone battery

AFAIK, such high Li-Ion battery technology hasn't been introduced to mobile
phones yet.
They are just being used for high end electric cars AFAIK.
In time, they may phase out lead acid batteries.
Lead acids are powerful and long lasting, yet as heavy as an elephant.
It's time to let them go I reckon.
Downside of Li-Ion is that they are pretty capable TNT bombs in right
conditions.
You wouldn't wanna be inside an electric car, or anywhere near it,  that
being caught fire.
Having said that, gasoline cars have the gasoline tank, which is as bad as
Li-Ion or even worse I reckon?!!

The word 'memory effect' may be a loose term. But, some NiCD and NiMH
batteries do get sluggish after continuous use without fully charging them.
Then I managed to restore to acceptable levels by discharging them for
hours, slowly, using the discharge function on a charger.
Then recharge/discharge couple more times.
You may be right about the good high quality NiMH.
But, where do you get such ones?!! Can you suggest brands, sellers?!!!!

You are being delusional.  Is pope catholic?!! :-))

Re: mobile phone battery

I didn?t get them off ebay.

Nope, just enough of a clue to check the feedback if you use ebay.

Re: mobile phone battery

That's good one. I sometime tend to ignore it for cheap buys.