mobile 4g internet question

Is there such a thing as a modem that has a USB socket for a 4G mobile dongle to provide a connection to the internet, and has an ethernet socket to allow a voip phone box to be connected so a voip phone can use the internet connection via the USB 4g dongle? or alternatively is there just a dongle that has ethernet sockets for this purpose? thanks,

--
rgds,

Pete
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix_unger

?

Petzl
A two-party system gives the voter only one more choice than North Korea.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Petzl

sounds like you don't need a modem so much as a router, routers with USB slots exist, if you only want to connect voip to 4G you could use a raspberry pi but the setup could be tricky.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

This is possible on some modem/routers like Billion. I can plug in a USB

3G/3G/LTE device and it will use either the adsl port, or the Wan Port (NBN) or USB modem as the internet connection and or fall back.

Otherwise, you'll need to tell the computer to act as a bridge between the devices.

Reply to
news13

felix_unger wrote: [...]

Re my earlier response about (not) buying a (extra) cable modem:

Just look at your *current* cable modem: It probably also has a USB connector (and a LAN connector), and I'm sure if you disconnect it from the (coax) cable and connect your VOIP device to the LAN port and your

4G dongle to the USB port, that exactly nothing will happen. [...]
Reply to
Frank Slootweg

felix_unger wrote: [...]

If you're considering to use the computer, then why don't you just use a VOIP program/'app' on the computer, instead of the "VOIP phone box"?

From using a 4G dongle, I assume this is for mobile (non-stationary) use, so why drag along a "VOIP phone box" (and a normal phone?)?

Reply to
Frank Slootweg

felix_unger wrote

If there is, I haven't seen one.

There are some routers that can do 4G that are like that.

And some voip capable routers that have 4G fallback capability to so you can just ignore the adsl2+ capability and use the 4G fallback all the time.

And the other obvious way to do voip is to do voip in a 4G smartphone. That works fine.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Petzl wrote

None of those has a RJ45 connector that you can plug a voip ata like a Mitron MNFMV1 into.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I wanted a 4G modem fall back for my cable connection and found some routers that would provide it. The ASUS RT-AC56U, RT-AC87U and RTAC68U can all be used this way. The expensive and extraordinarily ugly FRITZ!Box 7490 is designed to be the central part of a phone system and can be connected to the Internet via a USB dongle.

Reply to
Gordon Levi

it would be the same speed.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

ok, I'll look for those then

how do I do that?

--
rgds,

Pete
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix_unger

because I want to use a cordless phone with the base station plugged into the VOIP box

it is a stationary connection. the problem is that there is no good internet service in the area, and 4g is quite fast, so I thought it might be a way to get a good service. it's not for me btw, it's for a friend.

--
rgds,

Pete
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix_unger

can you say which ones?

don't want to use the mobile. want to use cordless handset

--
rgds,

Pete
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix_unger

thanks. I'll check those

--
rgds,

Pete
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix_unger

That varys over time so I don?t bother to keep track of it.

There are real advantages in using a mobile instead.

Reply to
Rod Speed

It seems like one of those Asus models will be just what I need. :) don't know which would be best, so I will have to investigate further.

--
rgds,

Pete
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix_unger

Asus isn't the only operation that supplys routers with 4G fallback or 4G only.

Reply to
Rod Speed

( the last two are too expensive )

so you said, but you couldn't tell me of any

--
rgds,

Pete
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix_unger

Rod has an IPHONE I have a Samsung Note and a Windows Nokia Nokia Lumia 1020, works flawlesly on all.

A good smart phone is the same?

--
Petzl
HEALTHY CHIPS (1 serving)
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Petzl

brain strain, about a decade a go it was just a tick box somewhere in "advanced" windows networking. If I remember correctly. it was a property on one of the protocol settings.

Personally, I'd prefer to just plug everything into a simple hub or switch rather than do something like that that likely could compromise a systems security.

At one stage, you could pick up a simple four port 10/100 for less than $50. I can't remember seeing one online in a few years.

Reply to
news13