Microsoft buys Skype for $US8.5bn

MICROSOFT agreed to buy internet phone company Skype Technologies for $US8.5 billion ($7.8bn) in cash ? the most aggressive move yet by Microsoft to play in the increasingly converged worlds of communication, information and entertainment.

The deal will let Microsoft "be more ambitious, do more things," chief executive Steve Ballmer said in an interview.

The software giant was motivated to acquire Skype because communication technologies have been "the backbone" of Microsoft's growth in recent years and that Skype has "built a real business" in the communications field, said Mr Ballmer.

Full Story:

Cheers Don...

=======================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

already bought...

Skype, the ultimate communication application will go down now after Bill Gates brainmaniacs place their fingers on Skype source....it will became twin brother of LIVE DEAD MSN....wich is total crap...everything is controlled through web browser, you must update every time Microshit forces their new release (otherwise you cant even log in), then they will probaby force some WGA crap to inspect your Win licence or they will introduce some of their smartass "MICROSHIT PHONE CREDIT CERTIFICATE"....tons of commercials through application and 13 critical Win patches KB83xx...etc..etc...by one word; "crap"

pity...this is the end of Skype we used to know....i wouldnt be surprised if they even change the name from Skype to Wype just to make sure we all became part of big online Microshit family...

Reply to
Gagi-9a6aag

Trype ? (Formely Tripe) :-)

One thing I do use daily, in fact almost hourly, is the Skype messaging system to my two daughters, from one end of Australia to the other. Does this mean I will need to find an alternative?

Cheers Don...

=================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Most likely will not be free anymore!

Reply to
Rob

I use Skype to communicate with friends worldwide. Looks like I will be looking for an alternative. There are some open source alternatives about but I've had no experience with these - yet...

Krypsis

Reply to
Krypsis

If the mickywank people don't mess with the basics then there wont be a problem , however if they decide to recode it's all over bar the shouting

--
Reply to
atec77

if

So, which pub should I be at?

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID
Reply to

Another case of: If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em, if you can't buy 'em destroy 'em.

Reply to
son of a bitch

Looks like google will have to start their own free service because I bet microsoft won't let android use it.

Reply to
F Murtz

Already have, It's called "google talk"

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Q1 Is google talk workable, with similar features to Wype(AKA-Trype)? Q2 Is it OK to jump ship well before the ship starts to sink, or should we test the water first?

Cheers Don...

==================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

They have already.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Don McKenzie wrote

Yep

Not much point until it starts to degrade to what you dont like anymore.

That makes sense with anything you use as much as you do skype.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Thank you Rod, and good morning.

I didn't sleep in, did I?

:-)

Cheers Don...

===================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Don McKenzie wrote

Good morning.

Nar, just pissed the bed instead |-(

That is no laughing matter.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Sorry, I should take life more seriously.

Cheers Don...

==================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

It's kinda funny 'cause....

People use Skype because they 'ates Microshit, so now...

Reply to
son of a bitch

Don McKenzie wrote

Thats not how you do gunboat diplomacy, silly.

Reply to
Rod Speed

whats actually got me beat , is how will microsoft make a profit ? from skype ? isnt it free software ?

microsoft wouldnt pay that much for skype anyways , they just inflated the price for a tax dodge,.........................

Reply to
no one

Why?? It's not permanent.

Reply to