Microsoft buys Skype for $US8.5bn

MICROSOFT agreed to buy internet phone company Skype Technologies for $US8.5
billion ($7.8bn) in cash the most
aggressive move yet by Microsoft to play in the increasingly converged worlds of
communication, information and
entertainment.

The deal will let Microsoft "be more ambitious, do more things," chief executive
Steve Ballmer said in an interview.

The software giant was motivated to acquire Skype because communication
technologies have been "the backbone" of
Microsoft's growth in recent years and that Skype has "built a real business" in
the communications field, said Mr Ballmer.

Full Story:
http://www.godzillaseamonkey.com/microsoft-buys-skype-for-us8-5bn /

Cheers Don...

=======================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Re: Microsoft buys Skype for $US8.5bn

already bought...

Skype, the ultimate communication application will go down now after Bill
Gates brainmaniacs place their fingers on Skype source....it will became
twin brother of LIVE DEAD MSN....wich is total crap...everything is
controlled through web browser, you must update every time Microshit forces
their new release (otherwise you cant even log in), then they will probaby
force some WGA crap to inspect your Win licence or they will introduce some
of their  smartass "MICROSHIT PHONE CREDIT CERTIFICATE"....tons of
commercials through application and 13 critical Win patches
KB83xx...etc..etc...by one word; "crap"

pity...this is the end of Skype we used to know....i wouldnt be surprised if
they even change the name from Skype to Wype just to make sure we all became
part of big online Microshit family...

Re: Microsoft buys Skype for $US8.5bn

Trype ? (Formely Tripe)
:-)

One thing I do use daily, in fact almost hourly, is the Skype messaging system
to my two daughters, from one end of
Australia to the other. Does this mean I will need to find an alternative?

Cheers Don...

=================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Re: Microsoft buys Skype for $US8.5bn

Most likely will not be free anymore!

Re: Microsoft buys Skype for $US8.5bn
I use Skype to communicate with friends worldwide. Looks like I will be
looking for an alternative. There are some open source alternatives
about but I've had no experience with these - yet...

Krypsis

Re: Microsoft buys Skype for $US8.5bn
If the mickywank people don't mess with the basics then there wont be a
problem , however if they decide to recode it's all over bar the shouting

--

Re: Microsoft buys Skype for $US8.5bn
if

So, which pub should I be at?

Cheers, Phred.

--
snipped-for-privacy@THISyahoo.com.INVALID

Re: Microsoft buys Skype for $US8.5bn

I'd wait to see what happens. I switched over to Apple because I got
sick of MS but have found that apple are quite simply a dishonest
company. MS aren't really that bad.

Re: Microsoft buys Skype for $US8.5bn

Anyone know how to stop Skype from "Auto updating" ?
I can't find a setting to stop it.

Re: Microsoft buys Skype for $US8.5bn

perhaps install it on read-only media.

else use the linux version.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

---

Re: Microsoft buys Skype for $US8.5bn

Not usually to buy the first of. Google will have their operating
System for sale June 15th
http://www.google.com/chromebook/features.html
--
Petzl
What perfect set of circumstances placed our Sun a Celestial ball of fire at

Hosted by LarbGai and Goodsoldier, Dancing with the Stars saw
Internet
Idiots sashay onto the dance floor to compete for the prized mirror
ball trophy.

Past winners:

2005: Steve Kramer and partner Felicity Warbrooke
2006: Steve Kramer and partner Howard Aslan
2007: Steve Kramer and partner Justin
2008: Steve Kramer and partner Charlene Bronson
2009: Steve Kramer and partner Brian Anasta
2010  Krypsis partnered by the long suffering Australian Taxpayer.
2011  Krypsis and Dennis (the shouse) Mc.

You're in wonderful company Krypto, dance on for Larby.

*GRIN*

Re: Microsoft buys Skype for $US8.5bn

no Don, dont worry...

main idea from MS is to overtake that slice of pie that Skype is taking in
front of MS nose...
Skype have around 20-25 MILLIONS of daily users...and more then 50 millions
of users that are logging on within 24 hours....total number of Skype users
are aprox 5 to 10 times more then that...
now, what was the actual point of buying them....simple; by buying
Skype...they did literally buy aprox 300 millions of people who will be
"annoyed" with advertisements by Microsoft now, since all of such
applications are invaded with tons of pop ups and little advertising
banners, like; "buy your Win7 licence NOW" (btw, what does Win "licence"
even means?!?!never heard in my vocabulary  :))  )...beside that...rest of
credits and payment income from traffic will go to MS as well...and 3rd
thing is implementing Skype into Windows OS as default alternative to their
MSN...
MS is very probably very aware that "converting" heterosexuals to become a
gay over night is mission impossible...so as converting Skype users to MSN
users...but they will probably try to put some restrictions and alternative
will became MSN...finally...everyone will use MSN....or Skype will remain as
Skype but will be trashed with MS certifications, payment methods,
prices..etc..etc...

however...dont be desperate...there is ALWAYS alternative to Skype as
well...you can use with pretty much the same interface so called Trillian
application client that is even compatible with Skype friend lists...not
sure about that...but i remember long time ago i was doing some
synchronizing...blah,blah...not sure..have to test it...

http://www.trillian.im /

and there is also a bit fensy look of Yahoo Messenger
http://messenger.yahoo.com/ that is also able to to operate as IP phone so
as normal voice chat client....and chat /web cam as well, sending
SMS...etc.....i liked it a lot long time ago....but skype is
skype....ultimate one :)

finally...if all goes wrong...you can always put some dipole and take out
some 100W radio out of your basement or attic and heat it up :))
well..maybe even wired cans can be solution if the distance is not to
long....but to be sure you can use one of oldest methods to communicate;
smoke signals or even better; "pigeons" :))

Re: Microsoft buys Skype for $US8.5bn

Another case of: If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em, if you can't buy 'em
destroy 'em.

Re: Microsoft buys Skype for $US8.5bn
Looks like google will have to start their own free service because I
bet microsoft won't let android use it.

Re: Microsoft buys Skype for $US8.5bn

Already have, It's called "google talk"

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

---

Re: Microsoft buys Skype for $US8.5bn

Q1 Is google talk workable, with similar features to Wype(AKA-Trype)?
Q2 Is it OK to jump ship well before the ship starts to sink, or should we test
the water first?

Cheers Don...

==================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Re: Microsoft buys Skype for $US8.5bn

Yep
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Talk

Not much point until it starts to degrade to what you dont like anymore.

That makes sense with anything you use as much as you do skype.

Re: Microsoft buys Skype for $US8.5bn

Thank you Rod, and good morning.

I didn't sleep in, did I?

:-)