Micron soldering station kaput

My temperature adjustable (40 W) Micron soldering station was dead when I tried to turn it on last night. Fuse was OK. But no other sign of life -- no front LED, no heating etc.

Not sure where to start looking but do the ceramic heating elements on these die? How can I test the element? It is a two wire only element (no separate temp sensor).

Cheers Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 16:18:54 -0700 (PDT), Glenn put finger to keyboard and composed:

Mine had a dry solder joint. Later on the cable for the handpiece went OC. I've also had to shorten the mains lead due to a break at the point where it enters the base.

BTW, to fix the dry joint, I held it closed with an insulated stick, then let the iron warm up. I then switched off the iron and reflowed the joint with the residual heat.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Thanks Franc. There is resistance across the element (about 400 ohms) so I'm guessing it's OK. I have found a zener on the control PCB that appears cactus. I'm confused though. The board marks it ZD1 and shows 94V - 0 next to it. I assumed this meant a 94 volt zener. However, when I removed it, it was marked BZX55C 8V2, indicating an

8.2 volt zener.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 04:59:15 -0700 (PDT), Glenn put finger to keyboard and composed:

I believe "94V - 0" is some kind of UL certification mark (flammability rating) that has been granted to the appliance.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Thanks again. Nice place to put a label like that. Replacing the dead zener appears to have fixed it.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn