Micron soldering station kaput

My temperature adjustable (40 W) Micron soldering station was dead
when I tried to turn it on last night.  Fuse was OK.  But no other
sign of life  -- no front LED, no heating etc.

Not sure where to start looking but do the ceramic heating elements on
these die?  How can I test the element?  It is a two wire only element
(no separate temp sensor).

Cheers
Glenn

Re: Micron soldering station kaput
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Mine had a dry solder joint. Later on the cable for the handpiece went
OC. I've also had to shorten the mains lead due to a break at the
point where it enters the base.

BTW, to fix the dry joint, I held it closed with an insulated stick,
then let the iron warm up. I then switched off the iron and reflowed
the joint with the residual heat.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Micron soldering station kaput

Thanks Franc.  There is resistance across the element (about 400 ohms)
so I'm guessing it's OK.  I have found a zener on the control PCB that
appears cactus.  I'm confused though.  The board marks it ZD1 and
shows 94V - 0 next to it.  I assumed this meant a 94 volt zener.
However, when I removed it, it was marked BZX55C 8V2, indicating an
8.2 volt zener.

Glenn

Re: Micron soldering station kaput
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I believe "94V - 0" is some kind of UL certification mark
(flammability rating) that has been granted to the appliance.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Micron soldering station kaput

Thanks again.  Nice place to put a label like that.  Replacing the
dead zener appears to have fixed it.

Glenn

Site Timeline