Melted Connector

Here is what happens when you try and reflow cheap OneHungLow brand header connectors:

Temperature profile peak was only 265 degC.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

That must have been really ,really cheap...... You sure it's 265 ?? what about the pre-heat?

Reply to
TTman

My only explanation for this kind of thing happening, would be that (it's possible!) a pack of Crayons fell into the plastic mixture at the Chinese manufacturing plant. ;)

Mark Kelepouris

Reply to
Mark Kelepouris

Regardless of the temperature, I would put jumper blocks on them first and discard them later. The jumper blocks should hold it in place and shield the metal, which draw heat faster than plastic.

Reply to
linnix

Regardless of the temperature, I would put jumper blocks on them first and discard them later. The jumper blocks should hold it in place and shield the metal, which draw heat faster than plastic.

I never have to do that,and I use both single and dual pin strip headers..... Lead free, flow soldered, 267 C , preheat 45 seconds @ 330C over hotplate, 1.2 M/sec

Reply to
TTman

Who does your purchasing or sub-contracting ? OneHungLow indeed !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Most of these components come from The Bung Thing Manufacturing Company.

Reply to
L.A.T.

der

not much point in machine assembly if you have to manually put on jumper blocks and such ....

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

No need to do that for every other brand on the market, they survive quite nicely just like they are designed to do.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Yep, that figure comes direct form the board loader who were monitoring the temp as part of an initial pre-production run, it includes pre-heat.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

I think you are right on the money!

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Mostly in-house purchasing, but I don't know who's responsible for this one. We usually use Samtec headers.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Never had a problem with Samtec for sure. Sometimes engineers have to fight a battle with purchasing. I foresaw a problem with a particular component on a £750,000 contract some 20 years ago and pressurised purchasing in the presence of board members to give extra lead time for these, since we hadn't ordered that specific model in ages.

Did they ? Hell no ! It resulted in the ONE problem with project completion, dealines and in-field reliability.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Many years ago, I worked for a plastics extruder, who got a contract to make the plastic things that the customer then stuffed with pins. They searched for WEEKS to find a plastic that could be extruded for less than a king's ransom, yet still meet fire specs. The term 94V0 springs to mind, but I couldn't swear to it. The plastic wasn't glass-filled - it was some variety of vinyl, IIRC, but nothing was ever said about melting in service; it was extruded at about 450 F, at which temp. it was still quite stiff.

The customer was happy with the result, but these were through-hole headers, if that has anything to do with it.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise