Melcom Alarm System - Any good?

Has anyone had any experience with the JayCar Melcom alarm systems?
Does the LCD display make it any easier to use and program than the
other systems without LCD?
Also, anyone know of where you can get the manuals online?, there is
nothing on the manufacturers web site (http://www.lynteck.co.uk /)
except a product brochure.

Can anyone recommend any other basic low cost systems around?

I'm also looking at the Bosch 880 system.

Are diallers worth the extra?

Thanks
Dave :)

Re: Melcom Alarm System - Any good?

A thread here in the last month or two had a couple of people saying they'd
had problems with them.

Ness system from Radio Parts, Inner Range Concept IQ system

Diallers are useful if you're going to get it monitored (should cost about
$7-$20 per month plus fees for guard attendance at alarms, etc).  Some
systems, like the two I've mentioned above, allow you to program it to dial
your own phone and give recognizable tones.

Cheers,
Alf

Re: Melcom Alarm System - Any good?

**Talk to someone who sells these guys:

http://www.das.com.au/index2.html

I am presently using a DAS panel and have experienced no problems in the
last 6 years or so. Programming is not too painful. DAS have a pretty
reasonable deal which includes PIRs and all the other stuff for a modest
system. This is the one I will likely buy, due to the bad experiences
reported by others about the Jaycar panels and PIRs.

**Only if you want back-to-base capability.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Melcom Alarm System - Any good?

Thanks guys.
Anyone had any experience with the ICON8 system from MCM Electronics?

Dave :)

Re: Melcom Alarm System - Any good?

I had the previous model to the one currently available and Replaced it
twice under warranty as they developed an intermittant fault on the 12V
supply for the PIRs etc the third one has since developed the same Fault
however since it was no longer under warranty I have rewred the 12V supply
directly to the battery.
Althouth other than that it seems to work I would not buy the same brand
again

Let me know how you go Because I really should replace my panel someday ...

Re: Melcom Alarm System - Any good?

**I've been using a DAS panel for several years, without incident. I have
pretty much decided to use the same panel in my new residence, as it is well
priced. I am buying through a mate in the alarm biz. He uses them because
they're well priced and he doesn't get too many callouts to fix them. Sounds
like the right combination for me.

http://www.das.com.au/index2.html

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Melcom Alarm System - Any good?

I ended up getting the MCM Electronics ICON8 system
The L3P kit with dialer panel, keypad, 3 sensors, and all the extras
costs $229+GST
Looks like a nice system.
Just gotta install it now.

Dave :)