Measuring current draw from modern LED lights.

Greetings.

Getting to the point - is there anything about modern LED grow lights
that could cause inaccurate amperage measurements? I have an elcheapo
Arlec meter, when testing it on other devices, it's readings are
consistent with the devices stated current draw. So I assume the meter
is accurate.

However, these lights claim to have an average current draw of

with the same result.

I'm no electronics expert, but IMO either the light's stated specs are
way off, or the light is somehow causing an inaccurate reading.

Thanks for any sensible comments.

Re: Measuring current draw from modern LED lights.

Does your meter show power factor? Maybe they have poor power factor and the meter is showing
'apparent power'?
--
Shaun.

Re: Measuring current draw from modern LED lights.
On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 00:24:23 +1300, ~misfit~

Don't think so, I'll have to check the meter again later when i get a
chance, thanks for your input.

Re: Measuring current draw from modern LED lights.

Current could be pulsed, that would cause RMS current to be higher
than average current but a cheap merater is going to read average
current.

Not a current draw...

What equipment do you have? What measurement did you make? How?

--
  Jasen.

Re: Measuring current draw from modern LED lights.

If both the reading and the labelling is correct and they are
supposed to consume half of the power that they are doing, then
they would likely overheat and potentially set fire to something.

The manufacturers might be afraid of being sued if the lights set
fire to someone's house.

A mistake with the rating printed on the label is more likely though,
or that your meter is simply confused by the switch-mode current
limiting.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Measuring current draw from modern LED lights.

If it was a 'Dick Smith' meter then that wouddefinitely be the reason.
I've got on the gives V/2 on a battery, let alone a plug plack I'm
testing.

Re: Measuring current draw from modern LED lights.

Watts are a measure of power not current, but never mind, the
discrepancy could well be interference from the switching power supply.

Re: Measuring current draw from modern LED lights.

No they don't. Wattage is not a measure of current draw.

  My meter says 765W... and I tested two identical model lights

Clueless more like.

but IMO either the light's stated specs are

You need to ask a sensible question first. The discrepancy is either due
to you not knowing what you are doing, a useless meter, the switch mode
power supply causing an incorrect reading or incorrect labeling.

No doubt the manufacturer will want their lights back so they can do
their own checking, most certainly if you asked them the same question.

Site Timeline