Maybe a good product idea that could be 'nabbed' by anyone

Hi all,

I've been thinking about this product for quite a while now, and I may
be wrong but it
could be a great way to globally save electricity & maybe even lives.

In an earlier Silicon Chip article someone posted a simple soldering
iron timer that used a clothes dryer timer. I thought the idea was
good, and scavenged a timer from the local recyclers
but have yet to do anything with it.

Anyway, this led me to think of something that may save a lot of
electricity and also offer
a safety aspect.
How about a generic countdown timer?

This (mains supply) unit would have to be simple due to it's most
likely use for forgetful or elderly people. It should also have a
rotary type input to make it easy to use

From my own perspective I also have a lot of 'wall warts' (DC
supplies) that I leave connected and using power. Add the TV etc.
also.

Of course if this is a good idea then I've pretty much screwed myself
for making any money out of it by posting this message, regardless...

As this is an electronics forum I'd like to ask your thoughts on how
to best implement
this idea.
1. Clothes Dryer control. Easy to make and inexpensive, but not
'scaleable'. ie. the 'product'
    should have different 'templates' to allow for a different range
of times.
2. Microcontroller and RC servo. Limited feedback due to pot, but
maybe viable
3. Microcontroller and Motor-driven Potentiometer ie. remote volume
control. Maybe more      expensive again.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw this out as an idea. Probably one that
someone else will patent
and make a stack of money off, but I think this could really save
power consumption.

Re: Maybe a good product idea that could be 'nabbed' by anyone

Timers already exist. End of story.

Re: Maybe a good product idea that could be 'nabbed' by anyone

I have a better idea. Why not have a motion detector similar to those
that are used for outdoor lights but that plugs into a power point and
has a power socket. That way the soldering (or laundry) iron will be
turned off if the user is absent for a while.

Re: Maybe a good product idea that could be 'nabbed' by anyone

That'd work. Our clothes iron has an inbuilt motion sensor - leave it still
for 5 minutes and it beeps for a minute before shutting itself off. Its a
cheap mid range clothes iron so it can't cost too much to manufacture.

Re: Maybe a good product idea that could be 'nabbed' by anyone

still

Yeah my Sunbeam does that, and it's over 20 years old.

MrT.

Re: Maybe a good product idea that could be 'nabbed' by anyone

Frankly I'd rather have simple +/-Hrs and +/-minutes buttons. Similar
count-up/count-down timers with change over relay outputs for On/Off control
are already available.

MrT.

Re: Maybe a good product idea that could be 'nabbed' by anyone
Thanks MtT,

That's a nice simple idea, and to the exact point of my question as
it's all about
what can be easily used (big buttons & display) especially for the
elderly etc.

Can't say I've seen an inline plug type time like this around though.
Maybe they exist already?

Re: Maybe a good product idea that could be 'nabbed' by anyone
philx1 formulated the question :

There was one that looks like the square double adapters that are
everywhere. It has a simple knob to set short (few minutes) to about 2
hours. no calibration just a tapered marker.
Came on when the power point was turned on, went off after time  and
stayed off till the power point switch was cycled.
Very usefull for Microwave, Iron, spare room TV etc.
Made by Clix  and no one seems to have them anymore.

--
JohnG

Re: Maybe a good product idea that could be 'nabbed' by anyone
on 25/09/2010, John G supposed :

Of course the double adapter shape is rectangular (silly me)
and the maker is CLICK not Clix.

--
JohnG

Re: Maybe a good product idea that could be 'nabbed' by anyone
Hey, thanks also John G,

Amazing how this product no longer exists, also HPM which is another
sad byeout of Aussie produced stuff.
I often wonder what Aussies can sell lately, maybe some meat &
uranium, but not much else.
As this is a totally different subject, I'll  try not to get angry...

Anyway, thanks much for the feedback John G.